From deaf/Deaf Perspective: When Answering The Door

Honestly, I refuse to answer the door unless I know who is coming over. Most of the people that come over are usually looking for my room mates anyway so it works out.

I'm hearing...but still I never open the door unless I know who it is. But I'm wondering, since the OP is also low vision, and a peephole wouldn't help, maybe he could instruct his friends and family to knock in a certain way. For instance, 2 knocks, wait a few seconds, and then 3 knocks. That way he would know it was someone he knows.

In this case I think it's a great idea

If im home alone, I will answer the door and try to understand the person, if not ill just say sorry no and shut the door unless its the post or delivery.

That's the route I usually take, though if the person is questionable, I get shirtless (I'm muscular from past college ball experience), fill a big mug with beer, and answer the door for a "wut-da-hell-u-want" intimidating effect! LOL

That's the route I usually take, though if the person is questionable, I get shirtless (I'm muscular from past college ball experience), fill a big mug with beer, and answer the door for a "wut-da-hell-u-want" intimidating effect! LOL

HAHA! This is a good one, especially if it's those "door to door" salesmen....Works with men, I'm sure!....What about "old ladies"?...Answering the door in their "birthday suits"?

With all the "home invasions", I'm very leery of strangers knocking on my door.

Would the sign saying..."Forget the dog...Protected my Smith & Wesson" be a good idea?....Just hate those "pesky" door to door salespeople!

Sometimes you can get those signs that the home security device companies give you when your purchase one of their systems - but you can get the sign by itself sometimes.....a local hardware store is just selling the sign- make people THINK you have a security system!

And......if it was two Mormon Missionary boys, I would show up in my bathrobe with hubby on the side! :lol:

They never come back again although the one did.........:hmm:

Back