from consoles to computers...

Steel X

Reaction score
Okay, I'm kind of new at this kind of stuff but I just want to know something...

You know some people can hook up their videogame consoles to their computer...and I was thinking about hooking up mine to my computer also instead of hooking up to a TV instead so I'm wondering what kind of device do you need to hook up your console to your computer? Please let me know which is the best and cheapest to get and where I can get it from, etc...

since I have a flat screen montior, I figure if I hook up my console to my computer, the pictures would look much clearer and sharper than on a regular big bulky old fashioned TV...bleh lol

You would need one of two things...
  • external device that converts video/audio devices to work on monitor
  • internal video card that converts video/audio devices to work through the computer to the monitor
I have the second one on my work computer. ;)

i have Viewsonic Nextvision N5, tv/video processor, that turns my LCD into Multimedia Center. it works wonderfully. you can watch the movie on the LCD with DVD player or you can put Xbox console onto the LCD to play. Also you can watch any tv program on the LCD. N5 has built in CC. right now we have better upgraded box that is N6 that comes with 4 or 6 PIPs (i could be wrong). also there are other tv/video processors - other than viewsonic. but i like viewsonic tv video processors better because it comes with built in CC.

i won a bid on N5 in ebay.com. its retail price is about 100 bucks so i paid 55 bucks for that N5. N6 costs about 160 dollars. try to bid on one of these in ebay.com.

check its website - http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/

check the home theatre PC website - http://htpcnews.com - that is what i plan to built a HTPC for home theatre room only in the future.

I also use ATI TV Wonder Pro w/ CC built in, but it can't record CC just like VCRs. Is there any way for my computer to record BOTH CC/Video?

I have a video converter for my computer to record my old VCR tapes into DVDs. I learned that there is no company that provides closed captions for recording DVDs from VCR tapes.

The dealer from the headquarter that I purchased the video converter told me that she does not know what company that makes a closed caption chips on televisions (13 inches and higher). That surprised me.

If a movie with DVD has closed captions, it can be transferred to another a blank DVD for a backup movie...

Sorry - my post is off the subject. I was in hurry to type my post and get out of the house... :giggle:

Repost! Repost! Repost! Repost! Repost! Repost! Repost! Repost!

what in the world is going on here?? You know what? REPOST! i already post: This strongly recommend for USERS!!!! in thread from entertainment.

I using RTV VEG, I hooked MY LCD MONITOR up with RTV VEG. I have never problem with RTV VEG at all. I admired that product.

ckfarbes said:
what in the world is going on here?? You know what? REPOST! i already post: This strongly recommend for USERS!!!! in thread from entertainment.

I using RTV VEG, I hooked MY LCD MONITOR up with RTV VEG. I have never problem with RTV VEG at all. I admired that product.

You know something, your thread is consider a old thread since it was post on 01-13-2005. That about 5 mouths ago, so what are you complaining about? Technology now-a-day change so much that in three months there is something better. So, I don't think this post is a repost because there might be new imformation out there since your old thread.

Peace.

Steel said:
Okay, I'm kind of new at this kind of stuff but I just want to know something...

You know some people can hook up their videogame consoles to their computer...and I was thinking about hooking up mine to my computer also instead of hooking up to a TV instead so I'm wondering what kind of device do you need to hook up your console to your computer? Please let me know which is the best and cheapest to get and where I can get it from, etc...

since I have a flat screen montior, I figure if I hook up my console to my computer, the pictures would look much clearer and sharper than on a regular big bulky old fashioned TV...bleh lol

You may find a S-video cable from a console to a LCD that may have a S-video port, my LCD has that, also has RCA composite, DVI and VGA ports. You can also use a $30 converter box at Radio shack, they will convert any video source to other kind to work on LCD, worse case get a $50 converter that converts the console signal to VGA which many LCD only has VGA ports.

If you don't have any kind of cable match. Go talk to Radio Shack or sometime use Wal Mart not sure if Wal Mart have it or not. Sometime. But Radio Shack is best care of if that they all have it kind of stuff you need. When my TV don't have color cable like red, yellow and White. Grrr! Then I found connect color to Cable. Very easy! I am so happy to watch DVD! :D That how what I talk about. Very easy.

Back