From CNN - Police: Black student marked with 'KKK' at deaf school

This is just a shame.. I thought my generation (late 20's now) had all but done away with racism.. but with all this new crap popping up.. I guess the parents are teaching the younger generations still..

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A weekend incident with racial overtones at a high school for deaf students could result in criminal charges with "enhanced penalties for a hate crime," Metro Police Chief Cathy Lanier said Wednesday.

A black student was held against his will and then released with "KKK" and swastikas drawn on him in marker at the Model Secondary School for the Deaf on Sunday, she said.

No charges have been filed, and no names have been released, Lanier said.

The incident began when a group of black students and a group of white students were in a dorm. "My understanding is the two groups engaged in friendly horseplay," she said.

But, she said, the groups got "angry with each other."

The two groups separated, she said, but later, six white students and one black student -- all between the ages of 15 and 19 -- took one of the black students into a dorm room and "held him there against his will."

"They used markers to write 'KKK' and draw swastikas on the student," Lanier said.

The student was released after about 45 minutes. He notified dorm and school authorities, who called police.

Lanier said police have identified and interviewed the students involved and the "investigation is ongoing."

"The support we've received from the campus and from the school employees has been tremendous," Lanier said. "And I think they're supporting us in making a very strong statement that this investigation may lead to charges that could have enhanced penalties for a hate crime."

The school is a residential high school on the campus of Gallaudet University, a higher education facility for deaf and hard of hearing people. The high school is administered as a division of the university's Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center.

Dean of Clerc Center Katherine A. Jankowski said the seven students who participated in the incident were sent home.

Gallaudet provost Stephen Weiner said the school does "not tolerate any action, behavior of this type."

"We are taking action," he said. "We are looking at programs to help students understand we are a school with a diverse population."

"This incident is intolerable," he said. "That's why the Metro police are involved. That's how serious we are about this incident."

Jankowski said the school has also hired a consultant to work with the school and its students on diversity issues.

On Monday, teachers and staff hosted a school-wide assembly with students related to the incident, said Jankowski. Individual and group counseling services were also available to students, teachers and staff.

im sure that kinda words KKK hard understand for me to meant! MSSSD where in?

"The school is a residential high school on the campus of Gallaudet University"

im sure that kinda words KKK hard understand for me to meant! MSSSD where in?

MSSD, is located in the campus of Galluduet University in Washington DC, like John mentioned above.

six white students and one black student -- all between the ages of 15 and 19 -- took one of the black students into a dorm room and "held him there against his will."

so 6 white + 1 black student vs 1 black student

how is this racist if a black person was also involved?

yes it was horrid though- no one should have done that regardless of race let alone being in a school setting.

yes it was horrid though- no one should have done that regardless of race let alone being in a school setting.

I don't think it will elevate to a hate crime since the earliest reports didn't mention the one black student.

I don't think this is a hate crime. First reports of this incident did not mention that one of the 6 students is a black student.

LOL at Sara1981. *ahem*...I'm sorry. I couldn't resist it. Go ahead. Move on, there are nothing to see.

Okay okay.....Interesting. Sound not good.

Not surprised knowing MSSD is a spawning ground for kappa gamma terrorists.

Richard

Oh, that sad...

I can't stand when issue are on race relations since it's not in 60's, everyone need accept diverse as who are them.

Tousi.. that is a different incident all together.. it mentions it later in the article

Not surprised knowing MSSD is a spawning ground for kappa gamma terrorists.

Richard

And how do you know this as fact, Richard? I'd like to see the data you have to prove this, please?

Even though this is disturbing and the police would have been involved anyway, what the director said about reporting it has no significance. If the school hadn't reported it, the student would have told his parents. Be thankful this report didn't come from the parents.

With regard to the students "being sent home," I hope that means that they were immediately expelled. I had a gun pulled on me at a "Christian" Bible college in suburban Phoenix a number of years ago and the administration did nothing about it. I left the school because I feared for my life.

KKK make me sick! I don't against any race!

Thats so sad that people against each other that they dont see human being are same.

God forbid Gallaudet get some positive press for once.

I agree with you. This sounds like a prank gone bad. There are some people out there who think doing certain things is funny, but it's not. Since a black guy was involved, the group probably didn't intend for it to be a direct racial incident... but more of a "Hahaha... we 'sharpied' him!" and let him go. If it was really racial, I'm sure more would have been done with the intention of seriously harming him.

But then again, it could be self-inflicted? Perhaps, that one black guy had an agenda against those white guys... so he did something to himself. Then he realizes that a black guy was involved, but wasn't thinking about it when he made the accusation.

This reminds me of an episode of Jerry Springer where this black lady wanted to join the KKK. :roll:

Pek,

I’m very excited that this news is breaking out.

I see MSSD as a breeding ground of hate like a boot camp. Thats where future soldiers of American Sign Language (ASL) learn their tricks. Once they pass the ‘crucible’, through the Kappa Gamma fraternity, they learn how to export scourge and oppression upon deaf groups and people who do not use or embrace ASL.

Getting the spotlight on the recent MSSD incident is a very positive step toward eliminating this particular breeding ground that has farmed, sponsored, and encouraged hate toward people and groups who don't use or support ASL.

Richard Roehm

Back