From analog to digital

Moon-child

Reaction score
Hi folks, been awhile since I posted anything. Thought someone here may want to know that I finally made the adjustment in getting used to a digital aid, I had only ever worn a analog aid. At first I kept switching them, taking out my digital when It got annoying, which was most of the time.

Over x-mas, my analog aid crapped out and no longer worked at all, I was then forced to wear my new digital 24/7. In hindsight, this was the best thing for me, I had no choice but to give it my best shot.

It took awhile, but I can finally say that I am enjoying it very much, and still getting desensitized to all the new , never heard before sounds. I heard butter bubbling in a pan the other day, blew my mind. At first, with the digital aid, music was too overwhelming, but I am getting used to it too. At this rate, some day I may even try two aids (both ears are about the same amount of loss, severely, almost bordering on profound).

I hope this post helps someone out, we all have such different journeys, but sometimes cross paths at the intersections! ;)

yep i have digital aids now . when i first wore the digital aids it sounded so metalic. it was awful but after 4 mths of wearing and getting used to it . now its sounded more like my old analog aids.
Now im ditching aids for my CI in one month time .yay cant wait and no more moulds !!

yeah, it does take time to g et used to digitals when you're so used to analogs. For me, I've gotten WAY used to my digital hearing aid that when I had to wear my analog for 3 weeks so my digital could be cleaned up/etc... I went out of my mind haha

Do get aid for other ear and it will make it just that much better! Remember we have two of most every thing for a reason. Wish that applied to brains:lol: I've had digital for years now and finally down to one in left ear and get CI turned on March 2nd. One ear is the bunks but guess I will survive till I get right one on again.

Good luck with your CI adventures Rampratt and hotmr2! You two must be pretty excited! I hope you will st6art threads about your experiences.

cdmeggers, it really is a different way of hearing isn't it? I still get over loaded in the evenings, so much stimulation, not sure if it is my brain that gets tired or my ears!

I am not sure why I have always balked at getting a second aid, other than the price. I was undiagnosed until I was 19 years old, and I found it took me many years to just get used to hearing any sound, two aids I just perceived as overwhelming, but now I can kinda see it. Unfortunately with no child support from the ex and recent cutback in wage due to government cutbacks.....it ain't in my immediate future to be saving for a second aid. Why do they have to so bloody expensive anyway?

Way too expensive

I just found my old invoice for my missing/lost hearing aids. With about an hour of haggling just like at the car lot I brought the cost for 2 down from $9,444 to $6,444. I think I paid too much at that BUT here is the part I did not remember. Four hundred dollars of that cost for both was a 2 year warantee for loss and damages. I lost them both six months ago and have finally given up, they are gone. I did not remember buying the loss and damage insurance. I called up and new ones are on the way, just like that.
I figure people like me are part of the problem. The expense of replacing nearly new hearing aids for people who lose them gets passed on to all of us who buy even with that bit of insurance. Still I think we are paying too much.
Is there someone from the industry out there who can explain why they cost so much?

It took me a LONG time to adjust from analogue hearing aids to digitals. I hated the digital hearing aids for the first 6 months, my audiologist recommended that my mum hid my analogue hearing aid so I would wear the digital one and get to it. I love my digital hearing aid but could do with a better one like Naida.

There are pros and cons between digital and analog hearing aids.

I used to have an analog hearing aid that lasted me 13 to 14 years. It went through a lot of torture, but still worked well. I did get a digital hearing aid while I had the analog hearing aid. It kept dying on me. I had it taken in to get fixed twice within the warranty period, but it didn't do me any good. When my analog hearing aid finally died, I got another digital hearing aid... but this digital hearing aid actually did well. Although, it does get a little annoying with the anti-feedback thing. It makes enjoying music and some movies more difficult than before. :(

I agree, like most things in life, there are pros and cons to both digital and analog. Unfortunately, in Canada, the analog aids I could still get I was told is not well suited to my needs. Canada seems to have pretty much phased out 99% of Analog aids. Not much choice here but to go with digital.

I agree, like most things in life, there are pros and cons to both digital and analog. Unfortunately, in Canada, the analog aids I could still get I was told is not well suited to my needs. Canada seems to have pretty much phased out 99% of Analog aids. Not much choice here but to go with digital.

This may explain why I got a Canadian made analog BTE hearing aid. :cool2:

I like the digital kind because you can control it a bit more in regards to environment also hearing the warning beep when battery is running low is useful, too.

I used to have an analog hearing aid that lasted me 13 to 14 years. It went through a lot of torture, but still worked well. I did get a digital hearing aid while I had the analog hearing aid
Yeah, but wasn't that when digitals first came out? I have to say I think the analog vs digital debate is really up to personal preference. Some people hear well with analogs, and lots hear WICKED well with digitals.
I love the anti feedback with digitals. I can even wear a ski helmet and it doesn't really feedback (except a bit on my deafer ear. Which means I can't hear on that ear)

Back