From a very concerned mother ...

Uh oh.. is this becoming one of those oral vs asl threads...?

I think faire is trying to say, IF one has good oral communication skills, language can be developed as well as any other method including ASL. The problem of deaf children lies in the development of good oral skills (two-way), not the method itself. It's simply easier and makes more sense for them to develop good ASL skills.

Uh oh.. is this becoming one of those oral vs asl threads...?

I think faire is trying to say, IF one has good oral communication skills, language can be developed as well as any other method including ASL. The problem of deaf children lies in the development of good oral skills (two-way), not the method itself. It's simply easier and makes more sense for them to develop good ASL skills.

Iam simply saying speech itself is not a language and I won't attempt to look more into what FairJour is saying cuz in my experience whenever I try to read more or make assumptions about what the statement means, it blows up in my face. For myself, iam trying to keep it simple. ASL and English are languages while speech is not. That's all I am saying ..nothing more than that.

Ok, I'll rephrase. Just because a child uses speech, does not mean they do not have language.

My understanding is if you get language comprehension, then speech will follow, generally in about 6 months.

:confused: who is saying that children who have speech do not have language?

I think she believes that speech is language. It isn't. Speech is just the mode of communication that English (the language) is communicated.

Why people don't get the difference, I don't know. :hmm:

I think she believes that speech is language. It isn't. Speech is just the mode of communication that English (the language) is communicated.

Same reason why some people think ASL is a language. (Some think that ASL is also a mode of communication for English, just sayin!)

Oh boyeee

Ok, these aren't languages:
Speech
Print
Hand shapes and movements
Cued speech
Morse code
SEE
PSE

These r languages:
ASL
English
Spanish
French
FSL
Auslan
Quebec
Chinese
And so on...

Hope that helps some people understand the differences...

Oh boyeee

Ok, these aren't languages:
Speech
Print
Hand shapes and movements
Cued speech
Morse code
SEE
PSE

These r languages:
ASL
English
Spanish
French
FSL
Auslan
Quebec
Chinese
And so on...

Hope that helps some people understand the differences...

Off topic but curious as to whether you consider Ebonics as a language...

Off topic but curious as to whether you consider Ebonics as a language...

I don't remember discussing Ebonics in my linguistics classes and I don't know the dialogue well enough.

We studied a lot about animals comminicating but what they communicate with isn't considered language and then went from there to how speech and hand movements aren't languages and then we did an in-depth analysis of ASL and English since those were the two languages most likely used in the field of Deaf ed in America.

Speech refers to the processes associated with the production and perception of sounds used in spoken language.

Speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Human languages
Main article: Natural language

Some of the areas of the brain involved in language processing: Broca's area(Blue), Wernicke's area(Green), Supramarginal gyrus(Yellow), Angular gyrus(Orange) ,Primary Auditory Cortex(Pink)Human languages are usually referred to as natural languages, and the science of studying them falls under the purview of linguistics. A common progression for natural languages is that they are considered to be first spoken, then written, and then an understanding and explanation of their grammar is attempted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language#Human_languages

I get the difference. I am just saying that people act like that if a child is using oral communication only that they are grossly language deprived. That is not always the case.

I have not posted in a while here but as a mom to a child with implants I wanted to offer my experience. My daughter has had her implants now for 1 year 9 months on the right side and 10 months on the left. She is 3 years old. She has a very limited vocabulary. It is very slow coming. That is ok. Like anything else with kids they don't learn and comprehend the same. They are all different and their own person. My daughter is also in preschool. This is her second year. I am stressing total communication with her. I want her to learn to communicate no matter how that may be. Her hearing impaired teacher that works with her in the class is deaf. They do a great job with her. You are her mother and no matter what everyone else wants you know her best. My child has implants that help her hear. She is still a deaf child. She needs a way to communicate hearing or not. Sorry to ramble. I had to go through this and as long as you stress what you want they should follow. I had everything put into her IEP so it would have to be followed. Good luck. Again sorry to ramble.

I am glad you are teaching your children how to sign now. The Audiologist who told you to stop signing with your child was very wrong.

Leaving no rock unturned

I get the difference. I am just saying that people act like that if a child is using oral communication only that they are grossly language deprived. That is not always the case.

faire_jour - I understand where you are coming from. The puzzle is in providing the tools and support that work for their individual needs, from language comprehension, speech to literacy.

No, it is not. However, the risks of that happening are significant because nobody really knows how much the child recieves auditoritally until he/she is older and sometimes, it becomes too late. My view is I prefer to be safe than sorry when it comes to language development in deaf children.

Back