Friends hearing/deaf

lucky loser

Reaction score
This is a thread for stories about your good friends who help you out when you forget your ha or ci, or if the battery goes dead, a jerk calls you retard or your cat eats you ha or other stories like that.
Here is mine
I left my spare battry at home for my ci and my ci went dead by lunch so my friend who is deaf signs what my other friends are saying.:deaf::angel:

here's a tip for you-
maybe you can carry a spare pack of batteries or a battery pack in your bag or replace the battery the night before the next day and maybe right before your school starts!

I always keep my pack of batteries in my backpack and there's more in the nurse's office where my rust bucket is :D

Doesn't it seem like hearing aids die when you have NO access to batteries?

HA story

Once upon a time when I was HOH and not deaf I loved bugging people by making my hearing aid squeal. You would see people looking around for the cause of the squeal and I would be so innocent looking.

Doesn't it seem like hearing aids die when you have NO access to batteries?

Yes. Mine beeps when the battery is getting low. Problem is, it beeps about 5 minutes before it decides to die! How helpful!

I find it very difficult to adapt to changes in my hearing. Without my HA, I tend to try and guess what people say and answer as I see fit. Often, I answer a totally different question and people are like "WTF?". My friends understand and just giggle. But other people must think I'm a weirdo. It's a tradeoff though, because sometimes it's better to guess and assume you've heard than it is to keep saying "What?" or "Pardon?". On second thoughts, maybe it isn't.... On many occasions, my friends act as a second pair of ears and will relate things to me if necessary.

Yes. Mine beeps when the battery is getting low. Problem is, it beeps about 5 minutes before it decides to die! How helpful!

I find it very difficult to adapt to changes in my hearing. Without my HA, I tend to try and guess what people say and answer as I see fit. Often, I answer a totally different question and people are like "WTF?". My friends understand and just giggle. But other people must think I'm a weirdo. It's a tradeoff though, because sometimes it's better to guess and assume you've heard than it is to keep saying "What?" or "Pardon?". On second thoughts, maybe it isn't.... On many occasions, my friends act as a second pair of ears and will relate things to me if necessary.

another tip- try to keep tracks of the day when U replaced the batteries
mine only lasts 2 weeks before the warning sounds comes up

That is exactly how I feel and what happens with me, my husband who thinks he is humorous shrugs and says "See and now I thought she wasn't listening to me but now I know she just ignores everyone else too" It is funny and people laugh.

This is why I dont wear equipments anymore. Too much upkeep for me.

Same here, I'm with you PFH. Coupled with increased risk of ear-infections and bte chafing due to the humid and hot climate I live in. HA are now a no-go for me. They barely have one powerful enough for me anyway, plus they cost too much.

I always have an extra pack of batteries in my purse, one pack at home, and one space IN my hard-shell hearing aid case.

If I'm not taking my purse etc with me, I have a Duracell hearing aid battery pack that I bought about 4years ago (hate Duracell batteries, only bought them once...specifically for the package...which I refill with "good" hearing aid batteries) . The plastic package is small enough to slip into my pants/slacks pocket - I typically keep 3 new batteries in that pack at all times)
media.nl;jsessionid=9lFQM1Qf1cpQJWYJQC5D6MSTPCSRm2nyJCds8SmyRKmkCPPFW2gFVVBYLCT2XGCQyKKVy8spVSr4sbtsTf1hH82vTSQyYzQGsf86hhBlbkcCdcjGg1PMTmMdgvv8JJMD!512551777

In 8years, I've only "got caught" without a battery once.

You can also get a little "hearing aid battery holder" that goes on a key ring (or could be clipped on a carabiner then clipped to a belt loop etc) that holds 2-3 batteries - I don't have one, but they look handy especially for guys and those who don't take purses/bags and (if you can find them) are typically $1-2 each.

3106E.jpg

Yes, I'm another that always carry the spare batteries in my pocket wherever I go.

Sometime I even change the batteries in advance, especially when there's an important event to go to. And that it may also been a while since they were last changed, etc.

Which is why I love the MUTE program on my HAs.:giggle:

My mute button is when I take the CI off. It's nice to have peace and quite in those situations. I've only been caught once with a dead battery. My CI went beep beep beep then kaput.. I was driving and it was not a big deal at the time!:cool2:

My friends help me a lot. It is instinctive if I don;t understand something to turn to whoever is next to me for help. I will often do it without even telling the other person I am Deaf. I need to work on that...

Once upon a time when I was HOH and not deaf I loved bugging people by making my hearing aid squeal. You would see people looking around for the cause of the squeal and I would be so innocent looking.

I was at my cousin's wedding and just when his bride started to walk the aisle my HA started whistling and I can't hear the sound . My sister was poking me with her elbow to have me fix my HA. She thought I knew my HA was whistling and that I was trying to be rude or funny. Good grief!

I still wear one itsy bitsy hearing aid...lol!

all good :) :)

Just that I am not a person that likes stuff. I hate carrying around my wallet. I like to wear just a couple pieces of clothing, and thats it. more natural for me that way.

Jewelery isnt a thing of mine either.

all good :) :)

Just that I am not a person that likes stuff. I hate carrying around my wallet. I like to wear just a couple pieces of clothing, and thats it. more natural for me that way.

Jewelery isnt a thing of mine either.

I love to wear lots of silver jewelry. :) However, I do like to wear as little clothing as I can..sometimes I go out in 20 degree weather with flip flops on. I am weird...lol

I love to wear lots of silver jewelry. :) However, I do like to wear as little clothing as I can..sometimes I go out in 20 degree weather with flip flops on. I am weird...lol

You're a rare gem then. I can't seem to find women who likes the cold... :hmm:

Back