Friends anyone?

KiKi100

Reaction score
I'm new on here and I'm looking for friendship and someone who is willing to help me learn sign language. I will be up front I'm not deaf. I've always wanted to learn sign language and I think it'll be a great thing to learn. I encountered a deaf person a while ago and I could see that they needed help and wasn't getting it and I wanted to help but I couldn't because I didn't know sign language. I also didn't have pen and paper near me either to write stuff down on. And that's also what expired me to want to learn sign language.

Welcome! It is highly recommended that you find an ASL class in your local area and start learning there.

Welcome! It is highly recommended that you find an ASL class in your local area and start learning there.

Actually I've been watching youtube videos and plus I will be taking an ASL class for the program I'm going into next year

That's a good start but nothing compares to formal instruction. However, you can give yourself a head start by knowing the alphabet and being able to count to 30 (to 100 is even better).

That's a good start but nothing compares to formal instruction. However, you can give yourself a head start by knowing the alphabet and being able to count to 30 (to 100 is even better).

I do know the alphabet. Only took me half an hour to learn

two sign language

British Sign language

American Sign Language

Nicaraguan Sign Language

alots of many to different :P

too many country kind of sign language!

So each country or language has their own sign language?

I dont think every single country has its on sign language but there is a lot that do.

For fingerspelling receptive practice, I really like these video pages: Fingerspelling Website Page 1 - they're actual videos of real people signing, so (1) you're seeing the hands actually move between letters, not just a sequence of photographs, so it's actually like what you have to read when someone's signing and (2) you can see the whole person, so it gives you the chance to look at their face and practice picking up the spelling with your peripheral vision. It's challenging at first, but really worthwhile because when someone is signing you do need to look at their face - so much gets expressed there. It's a neat thing to try. Feels weird at first but then at some point your mind starts to stretch out and it's pretty amazing to find that it can do this:0 Also, the videos start out slow and progress as you work through them.

For fingerspelling expressive practice, don't forget "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." Has all 26 letters:)

For fingerspelling receptive practice, I really like these video pages: Fingerspelling Website Page 1 - they're actual videos of real people signing, so (1) you're seeing the hands actually move between letters, not just a sequence of photographs, so it's actually like what you have to read when someone's signing and (2) you can see the whole person, so it gives you the chance to look at their face and practice picking up the spelling with your peripheral vision. It's challenging at first, but really worthwhile because when someone is signing you do need to look at their face - so much gets expressed there. It's a neat thing to try. Feels weird at first but then at some point your mind starts to stretch out and it's pretty amazing to find that it can do this:0 Also, the videos start out slow and progress as you work through them.

For fingerspelling expressive practice, don't forget "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." Has all 26 letters:)

Ok thanks will give it a try

So each country or language has their own sign language?
sorry I missing to thread yes I research ASL/ few BSL bazil my client. It interersting to language culture . I research deaf/hoh culture is really interesting alots of deaf/hoh is good. I am motivated to involves to ASL some language deaf/hoh I am high exciting.

Yes it own country different to sign language alots of real sign language many times. :) it is good language Sign language!

Back