Fresh batteries = pure joy.

Dark-Half

Reaction score
So, I got turned on... and everything sounds like R2D2 is getting fried with laser blasts. No not our member, but rather the robot from the movie. My audiologist wanted to start in steps so I only hear about 5 different picthes of beeps at least for 2 weeks so I can get used to noises. After that I'll be able to hear sounds. I kinda thought I was going to get sounds today lol! Alice in chains and Garbage just doesn't sound quite right with senquenced beeps. At any rate it's kinda amusing... kinda weird and I got this metal taste in my mouth still.

You got turned on by R2D2? :eek:

Just kidding... I know what you mean.

One thing I hate about hearing tests is the beeping part. Sometimes, I hear the beeps so much that it start repeating in my head and I can't tell if it's really a beep. So, I end up pushing the button when I thought it was a beep or not pushing a button because I thought it was my head. Argh!

So, I got turned on... and everything sounds like R2D2 is getting fried with laser blasts. No not our member, but rather the robot from the movie. My audiologist wanted to start in steps so I only hear about 5 different picthes of beeps at least for 2 weeks so I can get used to noises. After that I'll be able to hear sounds. I kinda thought I was going to get sounds today lol! Alice in chains and Garbage just doesn't sound quite right with senquenced beeps. At any rate it's kinda amusing... kinda weird and I got this metal taste in my mouth still.

Well...it sounds like you have a good attitude as well as a good sense of humor. I imagine you will do well. Attitude is everything.

One thing I hate about hearing tests is the beeping part. Sometimes, I hear the beeps so much that it start repeating in my head and I can't tell if it's really a beep. So, I end up pushing the button when I thought it was a beep or not pushing a button because I thought it was my head. Argh!

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Dark-Half,

I don't recommend listening to Alice in Chains until you've had a few more mappings. Take it from me. I learned that lesson the hard way. :giggle:

I know it's easier said than done, but try to take things one day at a time. You might be surprised by what you're able to hear tomorrow. I know one CI user who heard nothing but beeps on the day of her activation, but 24 hours later could hear all kinds of environmental sounds.

You might find it helpful to keep a CI journal so you can see how your hearing changes from day to day.

Since you're still in the very early stages of activation, it may take some time before you're able to hear a majority of frequencies. It's good that your audi is taking things slow. With each mapping, you'll begin to notice an ability to hear more frequencies as well as increased clarity.

I look forward to reading more about your CI journey. :)

Heh heh I've always wondered what I'd sound like getting fried with laser blasts! Probably not very pleasant.

The beeps were the very first things I heard too but this graduated to more natural sounds within hours.

That's an interesting approach by your audie to turn on 5 electrodes at a time - she/he sounds quite conservative. It will be interesting to see how you go over the next few weeks.

Dark-Half,

I don't recommend listening to Alice in Chains until you've had a few more mappings. Take it from me. I learned that lesson the hard way. :giggle:

I know it's easier said than done, but try to take things one day at a time. You might be surprised by what you're able to hear tomorrow. I know one CI user who heard nothing but beeps on the day of her activation, but 24 hours later could hear all kinds of environmental sounds.

You might find it helpful to keep a CI journal so you can see how your hearing changes from day to day.

Since you're still in the very early stages of activation, it may take some time before you're able to hear a majority of frequencies. It's good that your audi is taking things slow. With each mapping, you'll begin to notice an ability to hear more frequencies as well as increased clarity.

I look forward to reading more about your CI journey. :)

I kinda wanted to stimiluate my mind and get it warmed up after all these years. It's pretty silent around the house and for some reason the sound card on my computer does not work as for my tellie I'm not too big on watching much tellie heh.

Glad your all healed up and turned on .Sorry to hear your Alice in Chains sounds like garbage! haha. It'll come. Weird I cant hear music worth a damn but for some reason I can get some Alice songs.Thank God! Cause while Im a Sickman in an Angrychair with my Junkhead Hating to Feel like a Rooster Down in a Hole! And Id like to fly,but my wings have been so deniiiiied. Do I win on alldeaf american idol? haha only kidding.Keep listening Dark-Half!

Yay! congrats on getting turned on but i'm sorry Alice sounds bad. Is the ear that you got implanted ever been stimulated?

I kinda wanted to stimiluate my mind and get it warmed up after all these years. It's pretty silent around the house and for some reason the sound card on my computer does not work as for my tellie I'm not too big on watching much tellie heh.

I completely understand. :) I'm the same way. I watch very little TV and spend my free time doing one of the following: hanging out with friends, surfing the Internet or AD, reading, writing or listening to music.

Of course, after my first CI was activated, I couldn't take the advice of other CI users to take things slow. No, I had to dive in headfirst by listening to my favorite 80's music which includes heavy metal and hair bands. Needless to say, it was a very interesting experience and sounded nothing like I remembered with hearing aids. :laugh2:

Don't worry. Music will come in time. Soon Alice and Garbage will sound better than they ever have before! :)

Glad you got turned on!!! Enjoy the funny sounds, it'll soon be gone & will sound much normal again. Things were sounding just fine just 2-3 days later! And I didn't listen to music until I got the 2nd map 'cause it just sounded really weird. And I didn't want people looking at me funny for giggling over all these things sounding so weird. Hehe. :)

Thats so true Mama.When I had the malfunctioning HA and everyone sounded like donald duck it was so hard not to laugh right in there face! Once my husband was laughing at something and it was the funniest freaking thing I'd ever heard or seen to look at him and hear him laughing sounding like one of the chipmunks! Him I laughed at! LOL!

and everything sounds like R2D2 is getting fried with laser blasts.
LOL.............OT, but in elementary school my nickname was R2D2 b/c I've always had problems with feedback from my right ear.

I can still remember how I couldn't stop laughing at the sound of my audi's voice after my first CI was activated -- it sounded *so* strange (extremely high pitched, metallic and completely different from what a "normal" voice should sound like). :giggle:

While I'm very happy with the clarity of what I hear today, sometimes I wish I could go back to the early days just for a moment to get a chuckle out of how weird everything sounded back then. :giggle:

Thats so true Mama.When I had the malfunctioning HA and everyone sounded like donald duck it was so hard not to laugh right in there face! Once my husband was laughing at something and it was the funniest freaking thing I'd ever heard or seen to look at him and hear him laughing sounding like one of the chipmunks! Him I laughed at! LOL!

That's sooooo hilarious. Anyways I only have 1 electrode turned on just for clarification, at least I think and the 5 tones are basically just on that electrode...? I was so distracted when i got hooked up it was hard to pay attention to my audiologist and she had a student there, which I said was alright. She was kinda cute to be honest :D

Anyhoo, i can tell some sounds now and music sounds a little better and less beepy. I find myself prefering songs that have strong bass and drum seeing I can't quite hear guitars well enough yet. When me and my dad were getting out of the truck, my dad locked the truck with this remote thing and I heard a honk and that's exactly WHAT it was. It' was pretty awesome, that among other things. Oddly after about 5 days using the CI I have to have the volume up on max, methinks its time for my audie to tweak it and turn a few more electrodes on!

Anyhoo, i can tell some sounds now and music sounds a little better and less beepy. I find myself prefering songs that have strong bass and drum seeing I can't quite hear guitars well enough yet. When me and my dad were getting out of the truck, my dad locked the truck with this remote thing and I heard a honk and that's exactly WHAT it was. It' was pretty awesome, that among other things. Oddly after about 5 days using the CI I have to have the volume up on max, methinks its time for my audie to tweak it and turn a few more electrodes on!

Yep wanting more volume is definitely a sign that you need a new map already.

Interesting approach by your audie! Does she say why she is starting you off conservatively? I had all 22 electrodes turned on at once and I started on the fastest program speed. The reason given was to maximize brain adjustment in a short period of time. My friend at another clinic however started off on the slowest program and the reason given was to build her up slowly and softly. So different places have different approaches. I look forward to reading more :)

Yep wanting more volume is definitely a sign that you need a new map already.

Interesting approach by your audie! Does she say why she is starting you off conservatively? I had all 22 electrodes turned on at once and I started on the fastest program speed. The reason given was to maximize brain adjustment in a short period of time. My friend at another clinic however started off on the slowest program and the reason given was to build her up slowly and softly. So different places have different approaches. I look forward to reading more :)

That is interesting. I too had all the electrodes right at the start. Although, they put me at 1200 cps first before raising it a couple of weeks later.

That is interesting. I too had all the electrodes right at the start. Although, they put me at 1200 cps first before raising it a couple of weeks later.

I got started on 2400cps and then drifted down until I settled nicely at 900, which I love. I did try 720 but didn't like it.

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Ha ha, so do I. I hated taking audiograms because it'd start the ringing in my ears and then I couldn't tell the sounds from the ringing in my ears.

Back