Freelance web-design vs difficult clients

Daza

Reaction score
Hi all.

Who on here works (or previously worked) as a freelance web-designer?

This is something I am thinking about doing myself down the track and wanting a bit of advice.

I was having a discussion in another thread with MattB about the pitfalls of working for yourself as a freelancer in regards to difficult clients who change their minds, do not pay in full, generally those clients from hell etc.

So i was wondering how do some of you deal with difficult clients or manage to avoid clients like that? at the same time not turning away too many clients that you can't make enough money to pay the bills or losing your sanity.

Any thoughts on this topic would be helpful. Thanks.

if a client is so difficult... it would be in your best interest to do no further business with him. a difficult client is costly and detrimental to your business.

best comment ever by a web developer giving advice to freelancers - "The worst customers aren't even customers. They're vampires and terrorists."

if a client is so difficult... it would be in your best interest to do no further business with him. a difficult client is costly and detrimental to your business.

best comment ever by a web developer giving advice to freelancers - "The worst customers aren't even customers. They're vampires and terrorists."

lol

But I wonder on the whole, how many difficult clients you might face versus those who what would be considered good customers. It seems in this world more and more as time goes by rather than "treat others as you would want to be treated" instead it's "everyone for themselves".

I stand by Jiro, and he's right.

I am a freelance web-designer too but more of a hobby for now. Currently, it is on hold as there are no projects, but I am studying web design and production at university for the time being.

Difficult clients are not worth your time. If you handle a easy and understanding client and straightforward on what they want, then it would be easier, than handling the difficult one. Too much strain, I'll have to say.

I stand by Jiro, and he's right.

I am a freelance web-designer too but more of a hobby for now. Currently, it is on hold as there are no projects, but I am studying web design and production at university for the time being.

Difficult clients are not worth your time. If you handle a easy and understanding client and straightforward on what they want, then it would be easier, than handling the difficult one. Too much strain, I'll have to say.

I suppose it would be easy to pick and choose clients if you have plenty to choose from. But it would be very hard if you have to take what clients come your way i guess that would be the downside of freelancing, not knowing if client numbers will dry up from time to time.

However i believe some web-designers still can make money from existing clients via doing updates to their website and backend maintenance etc is that right? or usually once you have finished the project that is it?

Back