Freedom Battery Compartment

LadySekhmet

Reaction score
I've been using rechargeable batteries for the Freedom for about 3 months. I decided to at least use the batteries because I have 4, so what's the point of not using them?

Anyways, within a couple weeks, two of four battery compartments have hairline cracks. That pisses me off because I know they're expensive....

I tried to be as gentle as I can, but I have to press it down all the way, so in a way it's always "forcing" the battery to fit.

Anyways...did anyone have this issue? How did you resolve it? Is it still under warrenty? I may have to go back to 675 batteries because of this, I don't want to ruin my last two.

Thanks for the help.

Actually....NEVERMIND

I was able to replace the controllers without a problem.

I don't want the same thing to happen again, so should I go back to 675s?

Actually it's common problem in UK as my audi says, that's one of reason why i went the batteries route...

You've changed my mind both for going rechargeable...I was really seriously considering it ...

Don't want any hassles..or is that an rare incident?

You've changed my mind both for going rechargeable...I was really seriously considering it ...

Oh right you didn't have it with the box you got? I did...since I knew they were a bit expensive, I thought it would be better to use them instead. I get about 2 1/2 days out of them. While for regular batteries, I get a week.

I think you just need to be more careful. My compartments were easily replaceable...all I have to do is wait to get it. It's not that you cannot use them.

I figured out the problem...it's the rubber seal. For anyone who has it - take off the rubber seal, then put it in...you'll see how easily it was put in, right? So..it's the seal that's making it more of a snug fit. I wouldn't use it without the rubber seal because it can still be slightly loose. But regardless...they need to design the rechargeable so it can "click" in place, without putting pressure on the sides.

I'm just happy I can replace the battery compartments and I have spares. I probably will go back using the 675's, but still...then I have 4 rechargeables that won't be used.

I've been using rechargeable batteries since this summer and really enjoy the convenience, but that's just me. The only thing I don't like about the rechargeable batteries is that I can't connect to devices such as an iPod or my FM system.

I've heard about a few other CI users having the same issue that Lady described but fortunately that hasn't been a problem for me yet, knock on wood.

I've been using rechargeable batteries since this summer and really enjoy the convenience, but that's just me. The only thing I don't like about the rechargeable batteries is that I can't connect to devices such as an iPod or my FM system.

I've heard about a few other CI users having the same issue that Lady described but fortunately that hasn't been a problem for me yet, knock on wood.

Are you sure?! I use my iPod all the time....with the rechargables. The battery is in no way interfering with the external accessory plug.

Are you sure?! I use my iPod all the time....with the rechargables. The battery is in no way interfering with the external accessory plug.

My rechargeable batteries do not have an external accessory plug -- the bottom of each is completely flat. I received my rechargeable batteries over a year ago as a gift, so I wonder if Cochlear has changed their design?

My rechargeable batteries do not have an external accessory plug -- the bottom of each is completely flat. I received my rechargeable batteries over a year ago as a gift, so I wonder if Cochlear has changed their design?

Okay, I see where you have a problem due to the fact that you can't see. You know the "rubby" thing that's on the bottom where you flick it open to put in any of EA? That is attached to the actual controller, nothing to do with what battery compartment you use.

Go give it a go! Plug in your rechargeable battery, flick open that little rubber door. Plug in the Accessory, and press the Up/down button at the same time (the one with a small slit in the middle, not the one to power it on). You should be able to hear a beep. It will work. :)

Make sure the CI is ON when you do this method. Otherwise, if you have it turned off, then put the accessory on, you would have to press it 2 times in order to see the "EA"...which I'm sure you can't tell.

Let me know if this works!

BTW - the reason why the rechargeables are FLAT on the bottom is because it doesn't need air to activate it. That's why there's slight holes with a filter in the ones used for regular 675 batteries...it's used to allow air in it.

Go give it a go! Plug in your rechargeable battery, flick open that little rubber door. Plug in the Accessory, and press the Up/down button at the same time (the one with a small slit in the middle, not the one to power it on). You should be able to hear a beep. It will work. :)

Make sure the CI is ON when you do this method. Otherwise, if you have it turned off, then put the accessory on, you would have to press it 2 times in order to see the "EA"...which I'm sure you can't tell.

Let me know if this works!

Thanks Lady! I just did what you suggested and it worked. You're right...I couldn't feel the rubber door alongside the edge of the rechargeable battery. I'm so happy you've told me this because now I can use my Freedom BTEs with my FM system instead of my 3Gs.

Thanks Lady! I just did what you suggested and it worked. You're right...I couldn't feel the rubber door alongside the edge of the rechargeable battery. I'm so happy you've told me this because now I can use my Freedom BTEs with my FM system instead of my 3Gs.

Yay!! :) Let me know if you need anything else!

Oh, do you have two Personal Audio Cables? Want to put it into one jack?

I am getting a specific adapter for that. I got the wrong one, so I have to go back to Radio Shack and get a different one, so when I find that it works, I will let you know. Nothing is better than hearing music through BOTH ears! :)

Yay!! :)Oh, do you have two Personal Audio Cables? Want to put it into one jack?

I am getting a specific adapter for that. I got the wrong one, so I have to go back to Radio Shack and get a different one, so when I find that it works, I will let you know. Nothing is better than hearing music through BOTH ears! :)

Yes, please let me know how the adaptor works out. I for one would *love* it if I could hear music or speech (through my FM system) with both ears!

Unfortunately, my CI "goodie box" only contained one personal audio cable. :( If I want to hear in stereo, I'll have to purchase a second one on my own. That's something I've been considering, so I'll probably end up purchasing another. I already have two lapel mics (for TV listening) and it works great. I'd absolutely love it if I could hear through both ears with my FM system or iPod. Right now I'm using a neckloop (for my FM system), but the sound quality could be better because of the way it tends to fade in and out when it's moved or shifted.

I've been using rechargeable batteries for the Freedom for about 3 months. I decided to at least use the batteries because I have 4, so what's the point of not using them?

Anyways, within a couple weeks, two of four battery compartments have hairline cracks. That pisses me off because I know they're expensive....

I tried to be as gentle as I can, but I have to press it down all the way, so in a way it's always "forcing" the battery to fit.

Anyways...did anyone have this issue? How did you resolve it? Is it still under warrenty? I may have to go back to 675 batteries because of this, I don't want to ruin my last two.

Thanks for the help.

Cochlear has redesigned the rechangeable batteries to make them a bit thinner as I was told on anohter forum. My rechangables are white except for the bottom which is in the color that I chose. The rubber seal also helps to hold it in place. Without the rubber seal my rechargeable battery will fall out. On the disposable battery cage did you noticed that the bottom battery sticks out a bit? That is the method Cochlear uses to hold the disposable battery cage in place. You may want your audie to call Cochlear to see if you battery needs to be replaced or not.

Cochlear has redesigned the rechangeable batteries to make them a bit thinner as I was told on anohter forum. My rechangables are white except for the bottom which is in the color that I chose. The rubber seal also helps to hold it in place. Without the rubber seal my rechargeable battery will fall out. On the disposable battery cage did you noticed that the bottom battery sticks out a bit? That is the method Cochlear uses to hold the disposable battery cage in place. You may want your audie to call Cochlear to see if you battery needs to be replaced or not.

Hmm..thanks! I'll ask her when I go for my next map. I have 4 so I can check and see if I can get them all replaced somehow.

Thanks for the help.
We have the same "problem" with Lotte's Freedom, but the crack hasn't grown in the last months, and the battery is fine..
I requested new ones, and in Norway we get them for free. (The Processor etc. is technically owned by the Norwegian Health service..)

But in a way, it's a design error. Appearently it is not a perfect fit.
See if you can find more people with the same problem. Cochlear will have to listen to that.

I have also had problems with the controller cracking. I have had to have the controller replaced 3 times with in a year. Fortunately the controller was still under warranty so all I had to do was call Cochlear Americas and they sent a new controller out.
I use the rechargeable batteries but mine are not the new design. If my controller cracks again I am going to replace the batteries. the batteries are out of warranty so I will have to pay for them.

Hmm...it's kind of strange to see all of these issues with the cracking, but Cochlear *should* give an offer of the newer rechargeables!!

How do you guys manage to listen to music on Ipod using CI? I mean I know there is an accessory socket at the base of the Nucleus and I also have the external wire which we can connect to music players, TV, etc. However I have never really benefited from those yet (maybe its too early after CI activation?). Or are you using some kind of ear loop which is the shape of the ear and fits behind the CI? Like the one below:

Music Link T-coil Inductive, Stereo Ear Hooks for iPod, MP3 audio

I dont know how CI users listen to music, but I just plug in my normal earphones into my ears (taking HA off) and the only thing I hear with CI is the high pitches from the music. Never the actual music! Am I missing out on something?

And you got 4 rechargeable batteries? Wow... I thought the standard was 2 and ofcourse you can buy more! I only happened to get two! :(

Back