Free Online Sign Dictionary - NEEDS YOUR HELP

cool dictionary

Just checked out the dictionary and think it is pretty cool. I'll have to try and send some signs myself. Great idea!

hey,

I looked at this, I was not pleasured with this, pretty lot of signs are wrong. therefore they are hearing who were learning a second langague ASL, you should ask for deaf people to get involed with this, deaf people know sign more than hearing people do. Therefore Hearing people cannot teach sign or make this program. You have to respect deaf culture.

for example if you are learning a second langauge spanish that you dont know about culture history, etc about your pride, but your first langauge is english, therefore you cannot teach spanish to the student who learning a second langauge spanish from you. When They learned spanish from you, they would meet mexicans or argentinians or briziallians etc they would not able to understand them.

please RESPECT their own first langauge they can teach them, you are learning the second any langauge therefore you cannot do that.

hey,

I looked at this, I was not pleasured with this, pretty lot of signs are wrong. therefore they are hearing who were learning a second langague ASL, you should ask for deaf people to get involed with this, deaf people know sign more than hearing people do. Therefore Hearing people cannot teach sign or make this program. You have to respect deaf culture.

for example if you are learning a second langauge spanish that you dont know about culture history, etc about your pride, but your first langauge is english, therefore you cannot teach spanish to the student who learning a second langauge spanish from you. When They learned spanish from you, they would meet mexicans or argentinians or briziallians etc they would not able to understand them.

please RESPECT their own first langauge they can teach them, you are learning the second any langauge therefore you cannot do that.

If they're wrong, post your own version and fix them. Don't complain that we're disrespecting your culture. You do not "own" ASL and I do not "own" English. I used that web site to teach myself many signs, and now I'm able to communicate with my family and deaf friends much better. ASL is indeed my second (actually third) language, and I'm still learning. That web site helped me learn a lot.

By the way, I learned a LOT of Spanish from someone who spoke it as their second language. Just because it was their second language didn't mean they couldn't teach it. I learned a lot of basics from them, and when I went to Spain I was able to converse fine. I was maybe a little bit clumsy, but I could still converse ok. The same is true when I chat with deaf friends. I'm a little bit clumsy, but we are always able to understand each other.

Communication is never perfect, no matter who converses. Learn to be gracious, and accept it as a compliment when a hearing person wants to learn your language, rather than lording it over them that they're not as good as you.

I think so need improve development to grow sign language

I think so possible new Saskatoon favorite usually influence mixing to sign langauge. I think so too much mess. That is not good clear too many type. I know hard effect to stranger sentence. They are not match province to Canada. I don't know what is means slang like idiolt?

I think the dictionary is great. Good job! I will let my friends who are learning ASL know. :ty: It's not perfect (what is?), but it is another option for people wanting to know more about ASL. I really like that you can see who provided the signs.

I have three suggestions. One is to have different signers doing the same sign that could be an option. ASL is expressive, so everyone does it a bit differently, with small differences in the facial expression or hand motion. It also would be good reinforcement for those learning to see the same sign again.

The other suggestion is a basic tutorial on ASL syntax versus English/PSE/SEE. My roommate is studying ASL now, and this is something that causes her problems.

Lastly, a brief written description of the signs (as someone else wrote) would be helpful. It would help people make sure they are doing it correctly. When my roommate learned the ASL for "smart", she was using a "V" handsign and not just her index finger...which made it more like "stupid"! She kept signing this over and over to show me her new sign. :giggle:

Really good job! :applause:

Thank you for this site. I took ASL back when I had decent hearing because my mother is hearing impaired. Well, since that time I've lost 95% of my hearing in my right ear and 45% in my left. However, due to the fact that I've stayed out of the community, because I didn't feel I belonged. I lost it all. Well, I'm going back to school to take some classes and learn it all over again.

Thank you for this site.

This seems like a wiki site for signs.. cool!
I say wiki because there are a few signs I saw that were .. errr not how I would sign normally, so maybe one should put in where this sign is used? (this sign is used in kentucky, etc etc)...kaitlin has the good idea there :)

Thanks again for the feedback.

At the moment the text language side of things I am leaving until I have finished the rest of the site. Using different text languages is a feature I'd like to add in later one.

Yeah, the way I sign London is with just the index finger (it is the same sign as noisy - London=noisy)... maybe in some parts of the UK they do it with the American 'L' hand shape.

In California we use sign for London using L and sign like crazy circling around the ear...

Back