Free Online Sign Dictionary - NEEDS YOUR HELP

Cal, No she has not seen those yet. She already knows them very well so we didnt do them. I will have to let her see them. She will get a good laugh at those. BTW, your daughters are adorable!

Hi...

Calphool... the videos that you can't get working are .wmv format... they work on my windows/firefox machine & windows/IE - are you something different?

I would rather people didn't post .wmv for this reason, they wont convert to flash and they aren't supported by all computers... but the trouble is that any microsoft encoder (such as windows movie maker) will automatically save in .wmv

Rabbit - thanks for your signs, they are great, but they are the ones that Calphool is having difficulties seeing... if you let us know what program you are using to record and save your files then we can give you instructions on how to save them as .avi so that they can be converted on upload to something that everyone can view.

I don't mind who uploads, this tool is for everyone, hearies and deafies alike.

Those extra features you've requested to tag a sign as PSE/SEE/ASL is a great idea and I will implement it, but not for a few months because if uni work and it will require a major rework of the code... but it is on the 'to do' list!

Cheers everyone, keep up the good work.

Hi...

Calphool... the videos that you can't get working are .wmv format... they work on my windows/firefox machine & windows/IE - are you something different?

I would rather people didn't post .wmv for this reason, they wont convert to flash and they aren't supported by all computers... but the trouble is that any microsoft encoder (such as windows movie maker) will automatically save in .wmv

Rabbit - thanks for your signs, they are great, but they are the ones that Calphool is having difficulties seeing... if you let us know what program you are using to record and save your files then we can give you instructions on how to save them as .avi so that they can be converted on upload to something that everyone can view.

Those extra features you've requested to tag a sign as PSE/SEE/ASL is a great idea and I will implement it, but not for a few months because if uni work and it will require a major rework of the code... but it is on the 'to do' list!

windows movie maker:roll:

[edit] don't worry, I've found a converter, and am changing all of the signs to .avi

Last edited:
This is a great resource! I'll start having to check it regularly, because I think it'll help me pick up ASL. Unfortunately, right now, some of the videos don't play on my base Debian Linux system - but I'll see if I can resolve that.

Hi...

I'm using Windows XP with IE, and I have Windows Movie Maker, so it's kind of weird that they don't work for me. If I could download the file itself, I could run it through GraphEdit so that it could tell me what's wrong (I probably have a bad splitter in the WMV rendering stack or something), but unfortunately I don't know a good way to download the movies directly from the site (seems to be kind of obfuscated -- it's not just a link to a file).

Hi...

Ok, thanks Rabbit for converting your files, although typically something didn't work out again! - for some reason when uploaded the flash converter didn't detect them as being avi files, which obviously they are... so I have made some changes to the program and now when you upload they should convert to flash.

If you have the chance to upload your videos again that would be great, but don't worry if not, they work fine how they are (the only advantage is that if they were converted to flash they would load much quicker) - but don't worry too much about it.

Calphool - The original files have been deleted now but if you ever need to download a specific file you can use the following address:

http://www.dictionaryofsign.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3678

Replacing the g2_itemId= with the item you want to get... this will download it into your browser, but can be used with a download manager... or by creating a htm file with the link:
<a href="http://www.dictionaryofsign.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3678">Download</a>

And then right click and 'save target as'

Sorry it's a bit of a round about way of doing it but the files are stored on a part of the server that isn't accessible to the public through a simple URL.

Thanks everyone

Simon

Hi Rabbit.

That last clip you uploaded - Not (understand) - converted to flash no probs... thanks for your patience, all seems to be working correctly now.

Simon

Simon,

I think I've stumbled upon a little bit of a bug. It's not a huge deal, but it could probably confuse someone.

Basically, it looks like if you upload a sign and it gets converted to Flash, if you go back and assign a clipart image to it, it won't use the clipart image back on the menu screen. In order to work around it, you have to change the name of the sign (I've been putting an underscore on them), and save. Then, you can remove the change (the underscore), save again, and everything works after that.

It seems that the code doesn't think something has changed unless you alter the text -- uploading a clipart image isn't enough.

Oh, another kind of minor bug seems to be that we can't delete videos that weren't converted to Flash.

Lastly, it looks like the sign for "Month" is broken (at least to me). Can you confirm?

--Cal

Simon,

FYI... when I download the sign for month (the one Jamie did that seems to be broken on the site), it plays just fine. So I think something must be messed up on the server side -- maybe something happened when it tried to convert to Flash?

--Cal

Thanks Calphool,

I will be looking at all of that in a few weeks... I am on a teaching placement in school at the moment so haven't got the time/equipment to edit the site. I will be finished in 4 weeks, until then I'm going to be out of the loop for a bit.

Sorry about that, but will get everything fixed when I have finished.

Simon

Do you know the sign for seizure? (medical term)

Yeah. Put you left hand forward, palm up. Make a V with your right hand, palm side up. Drag the V (palm up) across your left palm, and as you bring it across, curl the ends of the V (sort of like "insect", but across your palm instead of your nose). Repeat this motion two or three times. As you drag the V across your left palm, make the motion kind of jerky -- not smooth. Facial expression should convey sickness or confusion.

I'm Back!!

Hi Guys.

First off... WOW - you have been very busy! - I haven't even been able to look at the site for 3 weeks.

My prac went well... and techincally that is me qualified now... as long as my assessments come back alright, so that's a sigh of releif, and some more spare time to work on the site.

I'm going to go back over these posts and try and implement the features that have been discussed... watch this space for more details.

Simon

Back