Free hearing test....

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Michigan Miracle Ear Locations | Hearing Aids in MI

Have you used this company for a free hearing test before? If there is a different company that offers free hearing test, let me and everyone here know. Freebies are always good, but are those tests reliable?

Do you know if Chicago Hearing Society on 2001 N. Clybourn in Chicago offers free hearing tests or does it cost money?

I don't know if I will use this company for hearing aids, but maybe just for hearing test?

Free hearing tests are OK so long as you know what you are getting. Not sure about the US but in the UK they can only use the words "Hearing Test" if they are going to perform a full standard pure-tone testing with bone conduction testing. Other places offer "Hearing screening" and "pre-testing" and all sorts of other things that are not really a hearing test, just an excuse to get you through the door to pay for a full test. Avoid any other words that aren't "Hearing Test". Ask them what is involved in the test and if it's not complete then walk away. Some people find it very hard not to follow someone straight into a sale after a free test, but it sounds like you won't be easily pressured, so why not?

Here in the UK it's pointless anyway to get a free test in one place and take the result somewhere else because the bizarre rules mean that if Company A tested my hearing yesterday and I want a hearing aid from Company B they must test me again anyway!

Can one get a hearing test in your local ENT clinic? Assuming they just aren't trying to "sell hearing aids".
Can one surmise tests should show similar results within the same time frame?

The above for me was part of my ENT record over 40 years at St Michaels/Toronto which was transferred to Cochlear Implant/Sunnybrook/Toronto

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
There are many Miracle Ears locations in Illinois, but my girlfriend lives in Michigan. I just thought that I would have it done in Michigan so that my girlfriend would accompany me.

I have had hearing tests at Miracle Ear, Beltone and Sears as well as my local Deaf Service Center, the School Board, and 5 different ENT's over the years as well as Boone Hospital Center in Columbia, MO and University of St. Louis Dept of Otolaryngology in St. Louis, MO. All were good tests, but you want to make sure that if you need a new HA, to find someone well qualified and reputable. Not Beltone, Miracle Ear or Sears.

Most audis will do a hearing test for free. I have yet to ever be charged for one in all my life. They make their $$ from HA sales, earmolds, other equipment, and the like. My audi doesn't even charge me for minor things like new tubes, either.

Interesting....how would I know if the audiologist is reputable? Tips on finding a proper place for hearing test would be nice. I ask because it seems like people don't think Miracle Ears test are very good. Why?

Miracle Ear is a specific brand, and if you have a hearing test only through them, they will steer you toward a Miracle Ear product.

Whereas, a neutral audi (look in your phone book if you do not have any recommendations where you live) will do a hearing test, and recommend HA choices for you. They aren't (shouldn't!) going to be biased towards only one product.

How to tell if they're reputable: Some hints:

1) They should let you test a few different HAs (like a 1-week trial or with a money-back guarantee)

2) If you encounter one that firmly pushes you towards one product and you don't like it, and they give you hassles, they are not looking out for you.

3) find out up-front if they're going to charge you (some may, it may just be policy in their office). With luck, you should be able to find one that won't.

Basically, common sense/a comfortable feeling is key here. If you feel rushed (whether at your appointment or to make a decision), pressured towards a specific brand, etc. then it's time to consider looking elsewhere. I have gone through a number of audis all my life (most of us here have), and I absolutely LOVE the one I have now. It took me a while to find her!

Thank you for the tips. I decided to get a free test at Miracle Ears. I went to the one in Skokie, IL as that was close to me. since it was free, why not? I asked them, can I get hearing aids at a Miracle Ears center in Michigan where my girlfriend live? I would feel comfortable getting them with my girlfriend, not alone, you know. They said to get them here in Skokie and have it serviced there because they wanted commission!! It's safe to say that I will not get a Miracle Ear product after the way I was treated!!

You were warned. :)

I've heard good things about Costco from another forum. They have 2 or 3 brands I believe and will let you walk around the store as an intial trial and then, I believe, they have a 90-day trial...which is longer than most audi's.

In my opinion Miracle ear is like dealing with a used car salesman. The free test is a ploy to get you to their office. Then the hard sell begins.

I have to echo loveblue and highly recommend Costco. Their Audie's are on salary and not commission. They are the same as any other Costco employee with exception of license to dispense hearing aids. As far as I know they do carry more than one brand but it talking to one they clam that most aids are made by one, two, or three different company's and then name or brand put on them? Guess thats possible. Yes they do have a longer trial period and also are very good at any repairer or other things, doing most at no cost to you. Ive dealt with Costco for years and last time I went for new aids I was told new aids would not improve my hearing sent me to Hearing and Balance center for CI.

Back