Free Education for HOH/DEAF In College

athleticandy88

Reaction score
Whom should I be talking to about this? I have a severe hearing loss and I'm not really getting all that on my Fasfa & grants due to my Hearing. so alot of people been telling me that I should be getting that free education and yet I haven't received any Information on It. Whom do I go to, to talk to about It? Cause theres something out there and I am unaware of It right at this point. Thanks

Hi there

I am hearing and don't know if this is a question I can answer, but you know, I am going back to school this August, and even though I only get $658 a month in SSDI money, they still expect me to contribute quite a bit. I still had to get a SL even though I am starting out in community college. The government sucks, sometimes if not all the time as far as money for education goes. Maybe you should talk to your financial aid department, or find out about special grants/scholarships for Deaf/HOH individuals. Someone has to know . . .

Anyone else out there have a suggestion?

~Helen~

I am hearing and don't know if this is a question I can answer, but you know, I am going back to school this August, and even though I only get $658 a month in SSDI money, they still expect me to contribute quite a bit. I still had to get a SL even though I am starting out in community college. The government sucks, sometimes if not all the time as far as money for education goes. Maybe you should talk to your financial aid department, or find out about special grants/scholarships for Deaf/HOH individuals. Someone has to know . . .

Anyone else out there have a suggestion?

~Helen~

Yep, do a search on Fastweb. There are all sorts of grants and scholarships available for special needs populations.

Whom should I be talking to about this? I have a severe hearing loss and I'm not really getting all that on my Fasfa & grants due to my Hearing. so alot of people been telling me that I should be getting that free education and yet I haven't received any Information on It. Whom do I go to, to talk to about It? Cause theres something out there and I am unaware of It right at this point. Thanks

Are you at OSD?

Yep, do a search on Fastweb. There are all sorts of grants and scholarships available for special needs populations.

Do they have night schools that I could look into? Like some classes my daughter and I could take to get a degree?

i would suggest that u try vocational rehabilitation. they can only pay if your family's income is very low.

Do they have night schools that I could look into? Like some classes my daughter and I could take to get a degree?

Sure. And you might want to check into the branch campuses of large universities, too. A lot of them offer classes in the evenings to accommodate non traditional students that are also working full time.

Vocational Rehabilitation (VR). The requirements by each state are different, but the easiest thing to do would be to locate the nearest office that serves D/HH clients and set up a meeting to discuss your goals and find out what they can do for you. Don't go in demanding a free education, just go in and explain your goals and challenges and ask what options you have.

No I did not attend OSD or do not attend at OSD. I graduated from Regulars schools that wasn't mean for D/HH.

& also, VBR

tell me what Its all about cause I only know what I heard people say. I dont know really from the fact of what all they can do or what they're here for.

No I did not attend OSD or do not attend at OSD. I graduated from Regulars schools that wasn't mean for D/HH.

& also, VBR

tell me what Its all about cause I only know what I heard people say. I dont know really from the fact of what all they can do or what they're here for.

The reason I asked is because your high school should be providing all of this inforamtion to you through transition counseling, and I know that OSD has a trasition program. I complain about mainstream schools all the time not making sure their deaf/hh students have all the info they need for college. Go to your counselor at your high school, and request that they provide you with transition services.

The reason I asked is because your high school should be providing all of this inforamtion to you through transition counseling, and I know that OSD has a trasition program. I complain about mainstream schools all the time not making sure their deaf/hh students have all the info they need for college. Go to your counselor at your high school, and request that they provide you with transition services.

Yea, I agree...my high school didnt teach me anything about support services for college. I had to learn on my own.

I am from Texas and I found out that any Texas state supported colleges is free to hearing impaired and disabled. I am planning on going to Texas Tech next year and I am hoping to be able to live on financial aid while going to school for free. You might want to check with closest college and ask them about it. They should be aware of anything like that. I had to send in a copy of my audiogram to a state department for them to review it and then they sent me a form that I give to to college so I can take advantage of that. I found out about this from Department of Rehab. I hope this is helpful.

Yea, I agree...my high school didnt teach me anything about support services for college. I had to learn on my own.

I see the same thing all the time in my incoming freshman from mainstreamed programs. My son's deaf school, on the other hand, actually had a 3 day college fair for jr's and sr's. They brought in recruiters from various colleges, and financial aid counselors, and academic advisors to make sure thier students had the info they needed. And yet, the deaf schools are the ones that aren't preparing students, or so some say!:giggle:

All I know about this is the vocational rehabilitation program. You do have to fill out FAFSA before VR decides to cover your tuition and books. Go into the nearest office, and you could be saving yourself so much trouble with money. Just call and tell them that you're a student who needs help financially to support your education and goals that you want to set up an appointment with a counselor. They'll do it from there.

You do have to report to them your earnings because they are about preparing you to be employed not just paying your education. Don't be scared but be happy with whatever help you can get.

Also, I recommend you see your college office for disability, they should know something. Your college may have some money scholarships if you maintain a certain GPA.

My mom and I learned this through someone else at church who was a counselor at VR. Schools don't always tell you such things all the time. They know help for the hearing students.

Take a look at this link, candy! Hope it helps! The Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission (RSC)

just get student loans!

Its just me, but I do not believe in free rides.

I have had no problems with getting my schooling at no out of pocket expense (which is amazing because im paying WAY more then most because im going to a private college) ...granted, I will have quite a bill to pay afterwards.. but once I have a Dr. at the front of my name.. the money should not be an issue.

Andy, If you would like some help and or advice and information on how to pay for college.. let me know.. I will give you my email address and give you all the information you will need to help pay for your college with minimal to no out of pocket expenses..

One thing.. I would shy away from VR.. It can make a mess of the whole student loan applications. Just fill out your FASFA, see what you can get for stafford loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized).. And if that does not give you everything you need.. you can always apply for private student loans which also allow you to defer interest payments until after school. There are always private scholarships as well..

Just make sure you do your planning and not just dive in head first.

Last edited:
just get student loans!

Its just me, but I do not believe in free rides.

I have had no problems with getting my schooling at no out of pocket expense (which is amazing because im paying WAY more then most because im going to a private college) ...granted, I will have quite a bill to pay afterwards.. but once I have a Dr. at the front of my name.. the money should not be an issue.

Andy, If you would like some help and or advice and information on how to pay for college.. let me know.. I will give you my email address and give you all the information you will need to help pay for your college with minimal to no out of pocket expenses..

One thing.. I would shy away from VR.. It can make a mess of the whole student loan applications. Just fill out your FASFA, see what you can get for stafford loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized).. And if that does not give you everything you need.. you can always apply for private student loans which also allow you to defer interest payments until after school. There are always private scholarships as well..

Just make sure you do your planning and not just dive in head first.

Just a simple question, Jasper, but you said "just get student loans!" Then you say "I do not believe in free rides." The you advocate "private scholarships as well." Okay :ugh3: Precisely what are you saying? The FAFSA has to be filled out, regardless if there are loans, grants or anything else. There are more than just Stafford loans, there's a whole slew of loan programs out there.

I have a combination of private college and public university studies that I have to pay for, so in the end, when I have my JD behind my name, the price of the education will be insignificant to how much I will be earning.

precisely what are you saying?

No free rides.. I do not expect to have a handout just because of a disability! Loans are not free rides, as you have to pay them once your out of school. The banks/financial companies make their money in the form of interest they charge.. and you get your degree. (hopefully that answered your question to your liking)

I have a combination stafford loans and private loans as well. I used EDfinancial but as you said there are many different companies you can use.

I also bought a house close to the school, brought in a few roommates to pay for the mortgage and bills, so I basically live rent free. One very nice thing on top to not having to pay rent is, your building equity while going to school. You can use this equity to help pay off your loans once you get out of school by either selling the house... Or keeping it to rent out to future students if you are planning on staying in the area.. Or just continuing to live there (with or without roommates). I was very lucky to grab a house before the housing market fell apart a few weeks.. so this may be a bit harder to do now..

Move to Baltimore and attend one of the community colleges there. They have a tuition waiver for people on SSDI/SSI. But you'll have to pay for books and fees.

Back