Found Out I'm Going Deaf

shannoncaelie

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm new here, and I found out recently that I'm going to ultimately lose all my hearing. Currently I'm hard of hearing. I'm a music major in Michigan studying percussion as an education major. Oh did I mention I'm learning ASL and want to get certified to teach music to the deaf :)

Hello welcome to ASL
I am experience ASl student help you :)

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and I found out recently that I'm going to ultimately lose all my hearing. Currently I'm hard of hearing. I'm a music major in Michigan studying percussion as an education major. Oh did I mention I'm learning ASL and want to get certified to teach music to the deaf :)

Does NTID have a music program? Maybe you could transfer there and become fluent in ASL

Sorry to hear that. Good that you're taking up sign language. BTW, I'm a pianist.

Wirelessly posted

Welcome! I love percussion. Actually considering buying a djembe drum to join in local drum circles.

:ugh: Teach music to the deaf and hard of hearing. OMC (Oh, my Creator), this had happened to me when I was taught to feel the music from the piano and we can not tell from the notes of the music at all. I remembered that we were not happy to have the teachers force us to try to appreciate music when we were deaf. Good Grief, you have no idea if you don't hear anything or very little sounds. Do we have to go back to the Dark ages again? :roll:

Are you absolutely sure you are hard of hearing and should be able to understand that we don't hear the music? What is with you? :hmm:

I don't plan to force anyone to appreciate something if they will not. But I know several deaf and hard of hearing people who want to learn things like the drums. So if I can be significant to society in that way, then that is what I will do.

Also, to answer your question if I'm sure I am hard of hearing, the answer is yes. I went to an audiologist to make sure, and he told me that I am and that I will almost certainly lose all my hearing due to genetics as well as my study.

Sorry if you don't like me or what I think I might be able do to be somewhat significant to society and those who do want to learn music during my incredibly insignificant life, then fine, you have your opinions.

Oh, For Gawds sake Bebonang, this isn't the 50's, check your diary and you will see that we are in 2011's and in few weeks it will be 2012, Why must you attack new posters like you did when I first signed up!

There is people who appericates music however deaf they are, it's their choice! The choice was there. When I was going up to secondary school i had either choice, go to mainstream but they won't teach me music (and foregin languages) or go to all deaf boarding school, I chose to go to deaf boarding school because i wanted to learn Music and french, an opporunity that i wouldn't have if i went mainstream. It was purely my choice. I don't think parents would force any child to do what they don't want to do as it would be pointless if they are refusing to do anything. No one had forced me to play on the piano (grand). I did enjoy the feeling of different tunes/vibrations, I used to take my shoes off when playing.

Well done, shannoncaelie, for taking that path, i am sure there is plenty of deaf people who are keen to learn but don't have the confidence to do so or have a patient teacher. Have you looked up Evelyn Glennie? she is deaf percussionist, i think that what it is!

Overthepond: Thank you very much! :) Yes, I have looked up Evelyn Glennie, she is absolutely incredible. My professors talk about her often, and one of my peers has even met her and commented on her amiability and passion! Truly an inspirational human being! She considered one of the world's finest female percussionists of today! :)

I have met Evelyn few times between 1989-1994 as she taught us about music, played music at our school few times. Very nice lady.

Back