Former asl student new member

moon50511

Reaction score
Hi, I took the first course for ASL at my university a while ago for my language requirement and I thought it was really interesting. This past weekend, I went to a haunted house with my friend in Pennsylvania and we were paired with four Deaf individuals in a special event that involved groups of people solving puzzles throughout the house. They were able to read lips and were signing with each other, but they sometimes found it difficult to understand what the haunted house's staff members were saying due to lighting in the room or the fact that they didn't always face the Deaf individuals. I was actually a little proud of the fact that I was able to help them understand the objective of one puzzle when they couldn't understand the staff member and I used my limited knowledge of sign to help! Ever since then, I found renewed motivation to practice and learn ASL despite not being able to get into a uni class for ASL 2 this semester. I hope to make new friends (Deaf, hearing) and to be able to have buddies for ASL practice :)

Thank you for being brave to use sign language with deaf people!

Back