Former Actor Larry Hagman, notorious as 'Dallas' villain J.R. Ewing, dies

Bebonang

Reaction score
Actor Larry Hagman, notorious as 'Dallas' villain J.R. Ewing, dies

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 11:25 PM EST
Updated: Nov 23, 2012 11:25 PM EST

Larry Hagman, the North Texas native who played the conniving and mischievous J.R. Ewing on the TV show Dallas, died Friday at a Dallas hospital. He was 81.

Mr. Hagman died at 4:20 p.m. Friday at Medical City Dallas Hospital from complications of his recent battle with cancer, members of his family said.

Read more here: Actor Larry Hagman, notorious as 'Dallas' villain J.R. Ewing, dies | Dallas-Fort Worth Celebrity News - Entertainment News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

He passed away today November 23, 2012.

Rest in Peace, Larry Hagman. :(

Biography for
Larry Hagman More at IMDbPro »

ad feedback
Date of Birth
21 September 1931, Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Birth Name
Larry Martin Hagman

Nickname
Mad Monk of Malibu
Hag

Height
6' 1" (1.85 m)

Mini Biography
The son of a legendary actress (Mary Martin) and a district attorney, Larry Hagman was born Larry Hageman in Fort Worth, Texas, on September 21, 1931. After his parents' divorce, he moved to Los Angeles to live with his grandmother. When he was 12, his grandmother died and he moved back to his mother's place, who had remarried and was launching a Broadway career. After attending Bard College in New York State, he decided to follow his mother's acting road. His first stage tryout was with the Margo Jones Theatre-in-the-Round in Dallas, Texas. He then appeared in the New York City Center production of "Taming the Shrew," followed by a year in regional theater. In his early-to-mid twenties, Larry moved to England as a member of the cast of his mother's stage show, "South Pacific", and was a member of the cast for five years. After that, he enrolled in the U.S. Air Force, where he produced and directed several series for members of the service. After completing his service in the Air Force, Larry returned to New York City for a series of Broadway and off-Broadway plays, esp. "Once Around the Block", "Career", "Comes A Day", "A Priest in the House", "The Beauty Part", "The Warm Peninsula", "The Nervous Set" among many others. He began his television career in 1961 with a number of guest appearances on shows as "The ALCOA Hour". He was later chosen to be in the popular daytime series "The Edge of Night" (1956), in which he starred for 2 years. But that was his start, he later went on to become the friendliest television star in the NBC sitcom "I Dream of Jeannie" (1965), in which he played the amiable astronaut, Anthony Nelson. In the series, his life was endangered by this gorgeous blonde bombshell genie played by Barbara Eden. The series ran for 5 years and after that, he continued his success in "The Good Life" (1971) and "Here We Go Again" (1973), as well as a number of guest-starring roles on many series. He was also with Lauren Bacall in the television version of the hit Broadway musical Applause (1973) (TV). In 1977, "Dallas" (1978) came aboard and Larry's career was secured. He credits "Superchick" for convincing him to do the show. This program of an excessively rich Texas family, was one of the best, beloved, most-watched shows of all time as he portrayed the role of the evil yet perverted millionaire J.R. Ewing, the man who loved to be hated. The series ran for an amazing 14 1/2 seasons and the "Who shot J.R.?" episode remains the second highly-rated television show in the history of the satellite. Since his name was familiar with Texas, it was suiting that he hosted "Lone Star" (1985), an eight-part documentary series related to the history of Texas, for the Public Television Stations. That aired while celebrating the 150th anniversary of Texas as an independent republic. In the spring of 1987, Kari-Lorimar released "Larry Hagman--Stop Smoking for Life:. Proceeds from this home video were donated to the American Cancer Society. In July 1995, he needed a liver transplant in order for him to regain his life back after years of strong drinking that led to cirrhosis. He went over to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for this where he spent 7 weeks in the hospital, and an operation took 16 hours but saved his life. In July 1996, 1 year after he had a new liver, he served as the National Spokesperson for the 1996 U.S. Transplant Games presented by the National Kidney Foundation and, on November 2, he later received the Award for his efforts in escalating public awareness of the concept of organ donation. Today, he continues to serve as an advocate of organ donation and transplantation. In November 1996, he starred in Dallas: J.R. Returns (1996) (TV), a 2-hour movie in which the ratings were a huge success for CBS, as well as in the network's one-hour, drama series "Orleans" (1997) when his role of Judge Luther Charbonnet gave him some of the best reviews of his 36-year-career. When he was feeling better than he had for so many years, he completed his 2 movie projects: The Third Twin (1997) (TV), a four hour mini-series based on the author's best selling novel, that aired on CBS, and Mike Nichols's Primary Colors (1998), a film based on the best-selling book by a journalist, Joe Klein. Starring in that film were John Travolta, Emma Thompson, Billy Bob Thornton, Kathy Bates and Adrian Lester. Larry played Governor Picker, an antipolitics politician who stands a grave danger crisis to the governor's bid for office. Primary Colors was his second presidential film having also appeared in Oliver Stone's Nixon (1995). Following these movies, his second Dallas reunion movie, Dallas: War of the Ewings (1998) (TV), aired on CBS. He also served as Executive Producer. Away from films, Larry is actively involved in a series of civic and philanthropic events. An adamant non-smoker, he served as the chairperson of the American Cancer Society's "Great American Smokeout", from 1981 to 1992.

IMDb Mini Biography By: Anonymous

Spouse
Maj Axelsson (18 December 1954 - present) 2 children

Trade Mark
Cowboy Hat

His gleaming smile.

Southern accent.

Smoky, gravelly voice.

Trivia
Broke his collar bone when he was a child.

Loves motorcycles, and owns a Harley.

Offered to pay for drug rehab for Robert Downey Jr. in 1996, after Downey asked to borrow $100,000 from him.

Has a ring made from the gallstones that were removed during his liver transplant.

Served in the U.S. Air Force.

He met his wife while he was stationed in England, UK.

He refuses to speak one day a week, simply as a test of his self discipline.

Son is Preston Hagman. Daughter, Heidi Hagman, appeared in "All in the Family" spinoff.

Had a liver transplant. [1996]

Earned a reported $75,000 to $100,000 an episode for "Dallas" (1978) in 1980.

Requires autograph seekers to sing a song for him or tell him a joke before giving his autograph. He says that he does it so he gets something back from his fans.

Attended Bard College in Anandale-on-the-Hudson, New York for one year

He produced and directed shows for servicemen while he was stationed in the U. S. Air Force.

Chairman of the American Cancer Society's Great American Smokeout

Enjoys skiing, backpacking, fishing, sailing, and touring in his personally designed custom motorhome

Collects canes, hats and flags

Is a huge supporter of the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation

Used to live next door to Burgess Meredith in the early 1980s.

Is a vegetarian.

Is a long-time friend of the late Carroll O'Connor, and spoke at O'Connor's funeral on 26 June 2001. O'Connor gave Hagman's daughter, Heidi Hagman, a part in "Archie Bunker's Place" (1979) in the early 1980s.

His Ojai, California ranch is called Heaven.

Daughter, Kristina Mary Heidi Hagman, born 17 February 1958.

Son, Preston Hagman, born 2 May 1962.

Is Bridget Fonda's godfather.

His wife is from Sweden, and they own a house in her old hometown Sundsvall, that they visit every year.

Turned down the starring role on the short-lived sitcom "The Waverly Wonders" (1978) in favor of "Dallas" (1978).

Granddaughters: Rebecca, Nora, Tara, Kaya and Noel.

The Malibu house in which he used to live is now owned by the singer Sting.

Was best friends with legendary Who drummer Keith Moon whom he met on the set of the movie Stardust (1974).

Son of Mary Martin.

Although he still requires autograph seekers to sing him a song or recite a poem, he no longer ask for them to tell him a joke because the fans would tell him dirty jokes.

Made his stage debut as a Seabee in the London production of "South Pacific", which starred his mother. In 1989, Mary Martin would recall, "Larry could really sing, too. Still can, but he doesn't like to". Another Seabee, also making his stage debut in the production, was Sean Connery.

Was one of the few players on "Dallas" (1978) to stay on for the entire series.

Holds the record for the greatest number of consecutive appearances by a leading actor in an hour-long prime time dramatic series, for his 357 appearances on "Dallas" (1978).

Is the only actor to appear in all 357 episodes of "Dallas" (1978).

Is good friends with Donna Mills. She starred with him as his wife in a short-lived 1971 sitcom, just 9 years before she starred with him again on, "Knots Landing" (1979).

Is an avid fan of "The Sopranos" (1999).

Bears a striking resemblance to professional wrestling announcer Jim Ross. Ross is often simply referred to as "J.R."

Best remembered by the public for his starring roles as J.R. Ewing in "Dallas" (1978) and as Major Tony Nelson in "I Dream of Jeannie" (1965).

Attended the Dublin Races in 2008.

Lives in Ojai, California.

His mom called him Lukey when he was a child.

Spent much of his childhood in Weatherford, Texas.

Just before his future "Dallas" (1978) co-star, Patrick Duffy was born, Hagman would frequently visit Duffy's parents' home, as a teenager. Years later, he suggested to Patrick, he audition for a role on "Dallas" (1978), and didn't know who Hagman was at the time.

He was inducted into the Texas Film Hall of Fame in March 2009 in Austin, Tx.

Remains good friends with Patrick Duffy, during and after "Dallas" (1978).

Friends with: Barbara Bel Geddes, Linda Gray, Victor French, Michael Landon, Carroll O'Connor, Michele Lee and Donna Mills (both from "Dallas" (1978)'s sequel series, "Knots Landing" (1979)), David Jacobs, Quinn Martin, Robert Young, Dick Van Patten, Richard Donner, Richard Mulligan, Barbara Eden, Peter Fonda, Joan Collins and Bill Daily.

Out of the original cast members of "Dallas" (1978), he is the only one that is originally from the state of Texas. Susan Howard, who later joined the cast as Donna Culver, is also from Texas.

His ex-"Dallas" (1978) co-star, Charlene Tilton, was the only member of the cast to attend his 70th birthday party in 2001.

According to "Dallas" (1978) co-star, Linda Gray, she said in an interview Hagman reconciled with his mother, after the loss of his stepfather.

At his wife's suggestion, he auditioned for the lead role of J.R. Ewing in "Dallas" (1978). Fortunately, he won the role.

Successfully battled his second cancer in 2012.

Dated Joan Collins while in England.

Sold their 43-acre estate called Heaven, which was valued at $9.5 million dollars. Its estate was also high in the sun-bathed hills of Ojai, California. Maj began her career in cultural fashion in the late 1950s for modern-day celebrities. She designed the house and infused it with her trademark elegance and style. Both Hagman & Maj first purchased this entire property in 1991. [2010].

Is a Democrat.

Each and every year, he always bestows his ex-"Dallas" (1978) co-star Cathy Podewell, flowers on the day of her birthday.

His idol when he was very young was Jim Davis, who in turn played his TV father on "Dallas" (1978), until Davis's death in 1981. He still has the portrait of his idol, hanging in his house. He and the rest of his "Dallas" (1978) co-stars, attended the funeral of his idol, Jim Davis, on 1 May 1981.

Before he was a successful actor, he was digging dishes and bailing hay in his hometown of Weatherford, Texas.

Successfully talked Patrick Duffy into returning to "Dallas" (1978) for the show's tenth season.

Always refused to talk about his role on "I Dream of Jeannie" (1965) until 2001.

Was reunited with "I Dream of Jeannie" (1965) series' lead, Barbara Eden, for the final season of "Dallas" (1978).

Did not get along with his stepfather at all, before Richard Halliday's death in 1973.

His future "Dallas" (1978) co-star, Charlene Tilton, was said to be a childhood television hero before she co-starred with him in the series.

His mother, Mary Martin, died on November 3, 1990, just 1 month before her 77th birthday.

Was a spokesperson of American Cancer Society of the 1980s, who encouraged people to quit smoking.

With the encouragement of "Dallas" (1978) co-star, Patrick Duffy, he quit smoking and drinking after over 45 years. Hagman began drinking as a teenager.

Of Swedish descent by his grandparents, as is his wife.

Lives in the same area of his ex-"Dallas" (1978) co-star, Steve Kanaly.

Loves to collect art.

In high school, he fell in love with the stage in particular with the warm reception he got for his comedic roles.

Graduated from Weatherford High School in Weatherford, Texas, in 1949.

When Barbara Bel Geddes took a medical leave on "Dallas" (1978), at the end of the eighth season, at one point, he suggested his real-life mother (Mary Martin) in replacing Bel Geddes' as Miss Ellie.

Due to health reasons he has quit drinking, smoking, and eating meat or dairy products.

As of 2012 his wife Maj Axelsson has advanced Alzheimer's disease and lives in a rented flat near his house. She is attended to by 5 live-in nurses.

He has played the same character (J. R. Ewing) in three different series: "Dallas" (1978), "Knots Landing" (1979) and "Dallas" (2012).

Former neighbor of Tom Brokaw.

Personal Quotes
"I've been on some loony shows in my time, but this one takes the cake." - when appearing on the BBC's Shooting Stars, February 2002.

I made money. Enough so I don't have to work again. But I'd like to, I really would. But I'd want to do something interesting like Santa Claus - or God.

Barbara Eden is the most beautiful girl in the world.

I spent five years in England, I went over there with my mother in the show South Pacific and I just love it. I go back there three or four times a year. I joined the American airforce because the Korean war was going on at one time and I got my call up papers and I was supposed to report back to the United States and get my ass shot off in Korea which I didn't think was a smart idea and not only that I couldn't understand what the war was all about, I guess a lot of people could at that time but I still can't even more than I can the Vietnam war, so anyhow I enlisted in the American airforce and I was stationed in London for four years which was pretty good because I never gave up my civilian apartment in St Johns Wood. I got married, met a Swedish girl there, we've been married 46 years now.

(On the infamous "Who Shot J.R?" episode): "Before that fateful shot rang out, I was merely bemused by the success of the character. Villainy could be fun, and that's how I played it. And if it worked. I mean I couldn't go down to the corner to pick up my copy of the Sunday New York Times without running into some nubile creature with "J.R. for President" emblazoned across her chest. Now a higher, shriller note had been added. People who once merely wanted J.R.'s autograph demanded to know who shot him as if it were their birthright, and were angry and upset when I told them, truthfully, that I didn't know."

I was born with success. Lucky for me I am able to handle it. Also, I damn well deserve it!

People I meet really want me to be J.R., so it's hard to disappoint them.

About co-star Linda Gray after her divorce: Maj and I kind of adopted her. She was here at the house nearly every day. We'd call her first thing in the morning to make sure she was alright, we'd make sure she had dinner every night.

[referring to his choice of final resting place for his ashes] I want to be spread over a field and have marijuana and wheat planted and harvest it in a couple of years and then have a big marijuana cake, enough for 200 or 300 people. People eat a little of Larry.

Salary
"Dallas" (1978) $100,000 per episode

He sounded like a good man. I remember watching him growing up as a child seeing Dallas on TV. Most actors hate being type cast into a role, but he enjoyed it and was he probably one of the few in Hollywood that was grateful for his blessings and his fan following. He'll be missed.

Laura

That's sad, I just saw him on The Tonight Show recently promoting a Dallas sequel.

Back