Forced out

I think his problem is that he have CI. People tend to have a different outlook toward CI. To me, that's discrimination for them to believe he doesn't need accommodations just because he have a CI. (remember, people tend to think it is a cure)
Deaf students with CIs at my college get full services if they want them.

Not really, they should be working! When they work, the government doesn't pay them, so they make a big strike and we -students- can't go to the university because the teachers close the uni... it's a big deal!
They don't get paid for their work? Oh, that's bad. No one wants to work for free, that's understandable.

Since you say the government doesn't pay the instructors, does that mean all universities in Peru are state run? Are there no private universities?

Don't universities conduct summer semesters? Most of the colleges in my area have spring, Maymester, summer I, summer II, and fall semesters.

we do too, I should start uni in March, but I'll have to start in August, and the worse part... it isn't sure I'll start in that month... I hate strikes!

we do too, I should start uni in March, but I'll have to start in August, and the worse part... it isn't sure I'll start in that month... I hate strikes!
I'm sorry you're stuck in that situation; it must be very frustrating.

I think his problem is that he have CI. People tend to have a different outlook toward CI. To me, that's discrimination for them to believe he doesn't need accommodations just because he have a CI. (remember, people tend to think it is a cure)

Yeah, that's right. The University didn't put forward nearly enough accomodations for me, and most of the time didn't even realise that I couldn't hear. I will make it very clear that I will need extra accomodations this year.

Deaf students with CIs at my college get full services if they want them.

That's in America, right? I am not sure all Universities here understand the situation someone is in with a CI, and they believe it is "a cure." I wasn't even offered some accomodations so I couldn't have them if my tutors were unaware there was a problem. That's what it all comes down to.

maybe. I was thinking... maybe it's Simown himself. For ie - everybody got their own POV so the story from each source is different. :dunno:

Not really, they should be working! When they work, the government doesn't pay them, so they make a big strike and we -students- can't go to the university because the teachers close the uni... it's a big deal!

oh that's so wrong to not get paid for working :mad2:

Don't universities conduct summer semesters? Most of the colleges in my area have spring, Maymester, summer I, summer II, and fall semesters.

true but not all professors are working and not all courses are available during off-season.

Yeah, that's right. The University didn't put forward nearly enough accomodations for me, and most of the time didn't even realise that I couldn't hear. I will make it very clear that I will need extra accomodations this year.

That's in America, right? I am not sure all Universities here understand the situation someone is in with a CI, and they believe it is "a cure." I wasn't even offered some accomodations so I couldn't have them if my tutors were unaware there was a problem. That's what it all comes down to.

yes in America. Reba resides in..... South Carolina? But nobody should ever determine what kind of accommodation you can have based on how much you can hear. It's like university deciding that if a wheelchair user is strong enough to push himself, he can open the door himself so it doesn't see the need to install automatic door opener :roll:

good riddance!

yes in America. Reba resides in..... South Carolina? But nobody should ever determine what kind of accommodation you can have based on how much you can hear. It's like university deciding that if a wheelchair user is strong enough to push himself, he can open the door himself so it doesn't see the need to install automatic door opener :roll:

good riddance!

:gpost: (took me ages to find that)

They didn't even know I couldn't hear half the time! Sitting in group meetings in silence comes to mind.

I guess you learn from your experiences, the next University better be prepared :devil:

Yes, in America.

The key is to not wait until accommodations are offered but to take the bull by the horns. That is, go on the offensive. I'm afraid it will be up to you to be assertive.

true but not all professors are working and not all courses are available during off-season.
That's when the professors can use the time to travel, attend workshops and seminars, write books, participate in research, etc. They need to stay active in their fields.

:gpost: (took me ages to find that)

They didn't even know I couldn't hear half the time! Sitting in group meetings in silence comes to mind.

I guess you learn from your experiences, the next University better be prepared :devil:

yep. Been in schools long enough to know the whole story. But if I go back to any school nowadays - I expect not to have much problem because it's 2010 and a lot of universities are more aware about deaf accommodation. Back in 90's.... deaf accommodation (beside sign language terp) was basically new or even... unheard of. and the most difficult part - it was very expensive and limited since it's a specialized service. Now - it's easier. Lot of new technology like remote cart in case there's no available local CART reporter.

I'm sorry that your university is still in backward time but FIGHT FOR IT! :mad2: demand nothing less. settle for nothing less. Just :nono: if they offer anything below your request. ADA Law is available at your own disposal. So is your state DVR agent. If you do not have one assigned to your case - make an appointment immediately.

now you know there are tools and laws at your disposal... the ultimate responsibility belies on you. That's why I asked in my post #14 about you. I see that you are ranting in here but I feel that you are not doing the same rant in real life to your disability office director.

I understand some people do get intimidated and accept whatever the school offers based on how they feel is the best for you. I do know the school can get quite insistent but really.... it's ultimately on you to control the situation and be MORE insistent on what YOU want. They have no choice but to comply with your request by law and they will do it if you're :mad2: enough

:)

That's when the professors can use the time to travel, attend workshops and seminars, write books, participate in research, etc. They need to stay active in their fields.

wish some of my useless professors do that :lol:

maybe. I was thinking... maybe it's Simown himself. For ie - everybody got their own POV so the story from each source is different. :dunno:

I had very little acknowledge on accommodation when I was in college. I thought I just sign up and learn the way I'm used to. Sit there in class, study textbook, study the board. But the college counselor told me that she was assigning me to a different counselor because I'm deaf. I didn't know why at the time because I felt it would be pointless. But later found out this counselor had lay out all my options for me that I never heard of. Loops, notetaker, etc. I wasn't used to any of that stuffs. So therefore, I didn't fight for my needs. it was present right there for me. But I did have bad luck on notetaker because we had to have a volunteer in Class to do it, one woman offered to volunteer... but later after class, she told me she realize she didn't feel so confidence with her notetaking.

anyway, my point is, not everyone know what are their options. So some may never bother with accommodation.. or think it is all they have available. So we really shouldn't be blaming on the students for not fighting hard enough. We should be pointing at the counseling who was trained to handle these things.

I had very little acknowledge on accommodation when I was in college. I thought I just sign up and learn the way I'm used to. Sit there in class, study textbook, study the board. But the college counselor told me that she was assigning me to a different counselor because I'm deaf. I didn't know why at the time because I felt it would be pointless. But later found out this counselor had lay out all my options for me that I never heard of. Loops, notetaker, etc. I wasn't used to any of that stuffs. So therefore, I didn't fight for my needs. it was present right there for me. But I did have bad luck on notetaker because we had to have a volunteer in Class to do it, one woman offered to volunteer... but later after class, she told me she realize she didn't feel so confidence with her notetaking.

anyway, my point is, not everyone know what are their options. So some may never bother with accommodation.. or think it is all they have available. So we really shouldn't be blaming on the students for not fighting hard enough. We should be pointing at the counseling who was trained to handle these things.

about that - for the past couple years at my college during the first day of the semester, I noticed that all course syllabuses contain info about special accommodation. All professors have mentioned about it during the first day of classes and emphasized it with "please let me know." Looks like it's becoming part of "required protocols" like stewardess explaining about airplane emergency protocol.

very good! a progress!

about that - for the past couple years at my college during the first day of the semester, I noticed that all course syllabuses contain info about special accommodation. All professors have mentioned about it during the first day of classes and emphasized it with "please let me know." Looks like it's becoming part of "required protocols" like stewardess explaining about airplane emergency protocol.

very good! a progress!

at least!!

Back