For TORONTO: Community Forum: Audism and the Toronto Police Service

JennyB

Reaction score
We have all heard the stories of the Toronto Police Services denying interpreters, accusing Deaf people of "faking", interpreting attempts to communicate as violence, misunderstanding facial expressions that are a part of our grammar as anger, and countless other acts of audism, discrimination, and violence. It is time to do something about it!

On July 24, 2010 at 6:00pm, join us in sharing out stories and coming together as a united community of Deaf, oral deaf, hard of hearing, late-deafened, and hearing allies! We will share our experiences in a public forum to promote healing and change. This will be the beginning of a long process of achieving change within the Toronto Police Services policy, training, and sensivity to our diverse communities.

ASL interpretation provided

Wheelchair accessible space

If you require accommodations, please contact Jenny at jb.signsofsupport@gmail.com as soon as possible.

Endorsed by the Legal Education Action Fund Youth Commission, and Signs of Support

Good luck. I hope you manage to create the change you want. :)

:thumb: Go Jenny and Toronto d/Deaf/hearing allied community! I'd be there if I could!
I agree with Botti - hope you can make a change!

If anyone would like to donate money for large interpreting team required for this it would be lovely ;-)

I hope to see some of the Toronto ADers there!...Lisa...Patti!

Back