For those with profound hearing loss...

Phi4Sius

Reaction score
And I mean profound similar to my audiogram in my signature (85 - 100 dB and above) in my worse ear, and for those who wear hearing aids:

1. What are your aided scores?

2. With hearing aid technology available today, are you able to be aided up to 20-40 dB without any pain or discomfort?

3. If so, are you able to do well and understand speech with hearing aids?

4. For those with CIs, did you ever wear or try hearing aids before in the ear/ears that were profound? And if so, how well did you do with hearing aids?

And I mean profound similar to my audiogram in my signature (85 - 100 dB and above) in my worse ear, and for those who wear hearing aids:

2. With hearing aid technology available today, are you able to be aided up to 20-40 dB without any pain or discomfort?

4. For those with CIs, did you ever wear or try hearing aids before in the ear/ears that were profound? And if so, how well did you do with hearing aids?

Wow this is my kind of thread! I enjoy reading and replying to those threads! Let me be the first to give you all the numbers, bro.

1. My current aided scores with an official test at the audiologist and with the home test are as follows:

home test, 2.5db increments:

(both HA, 0.2s sweep)
125-138Hz=25db
250-275Hz=12.5db
500-550Hz=27.5db
750-825Hz=35db
1000-1100Hz=45db
1250-1375Hz=55db
1500-1650Hz=NR 90db(Can't be sure if I hear(d) any tones or not at 1500Hz and above)

Note that I had to do a rapid bidirectional frequency sweep or my HAs will reduce the gains and block out some of the higher frequency sounds. Were you experiencing this same problem with your digital HAs?

official test, 5db increments:

125Hz: not tested, perhaps her audiometer didn't go this low?
250Hz: 35db(can't be right as I hear 250Hz better than any other frequency)
500Hz: 25db(my home test yielded the same)
1000Hz: 40db(my home test was within margin of error)
1500Hz: 50db(At this point, the beep was very faint)
2000Hz: 65db(I don't remember hearing any shrill beeps, it may have been the low frequency distortion from the speaker)

2. My unaided scores appear in my sig. I also have shown the best possible aided scores I can get, but no guarantee ill get those, just that it's possible according to the manufactor's specs for my HAs. I am already aided to 12.5db at 250Hz without discomfort. I hear so many new sounds as compared to my old Widex HAs. I have been able to be aided to better than 40db with every HA I ever wore. It's not the gains that were ever a problem, it's only if the SPL gets too high.

3. I am doing great with HAs and am able to understand alot of speech, although it's not perfect and never will be. I am OK with this, and am working with my audiologist so that I can hear the best and make the most use of my residual hearing. I encourage everyone else to work with their audies and get the right HAs with the right programming!

4. Doesn't apply to me, but I strongly urge everyone to first try all HAs. Only those with no residual hearing can save themselves the time trying HAs as none will ever work.

I wore hearing aids up until the age of 10, and then ditched them because they were of no use for the last 4 or 5 years before I turned 10 anyway. I stopped hearing a number of sounds before I was even 6. I wore them on and off because I kept transferring back and forth between WSD and the local public school with DHH program. I didn't wear them while I was at WSD but while I was at the public school I wore them on and off and then I got careless about my HAs when I was about 10 and kept losing them and my dad would yell at me all the time for losing my HAs so when I found them I just stopped wearing them as I could not hear a damn thing by then and also so I would not keep losing them and having my dad yell at me all the time. It just was rather annoying to wear them, lose them, and then get yelled at for that when I could not hear a damn thing with the HAs anyway...useless. I put them in the HA case for good to keep them safe and just left them there so my dad would no longer yell at me as he would know where it is at all times. Then I went to Lion's Camp and found out I had a 115 dB+ loss and it means I can't hear worth a damn.

I never heard that well nor understood speech with my HAs ever, I think my loss was already in the profound range by the time I was 6, because that was when my mom pulled me out of the oral kindergarten and enrolled me at the state school for the deaf as I was not learning a damn thing anyway in the oral program - I could not communicate worth a shit in English or ASL nor PSE as I only knew LSM (I knew some LSM before coming to WSD but my mom did not know LSM - I picked it up from my Deaf friends who had moved to Milwaukee from Mexico and was using that language as they were my first Deaf friends that I met upon moving to Milwaukee from Colorado where I had no friends).

Now I have a CI. Because I never learned to understand speech as a child, I do not understand speech at all with my CI, but am able to tell the difference between many environmental sounds and am even able to enjoy music with my CI. I really like my CI a lot.

Last edited:
@deafdude1 - What are your dB readings unaided in your worse ear? What are they aided while wearing an HA? You don't seem to be 100% clear about your worse ear. I'm a bit interested in seeing those results unaided vs. aided. I'm curious about this as I finally find out tomorrow what my left ear will hear aided after never ever having an HA in that ear.

BTW, that's exactly what happened with my previous digital HAs - they blocked out high frequency sounds. The big difference I can notice with my new analog is that I can hear consonants such as an "S" soooo CLEARLY over headphones and especially when I'm not looking at a person (e.g. lipreading).

@deafdude1 - What are your dB readings unaided in your worse ear? What are they aided while wearing an HA? You don't seem to be 100% clear about your worse ear. I'm a bit interested in seeing those results unaided vs. aided. I'm curious about this as I finally find out tomorrow what my left ear will hear aided after never ever having an HA in that ear.

BTW, that's exactly what happened with my previous digital HAs - they blocked out high frequency sounds. The big difference I can notice with my new analog is that I can hear consonants such as an "S" soooo CLEARLY over headphones and especially when I'm not looking at a person (e.g. lipreading).

My worse ear is 2.5 to 5db worse. It also can't hear as high a frequency as my better ear, probably about 300Hz worse. But I always wear two HAs and honestly I can't tell the difference between the two unless im doing controlled hearing/sound tests.

My unaided results are in my sig(red dots) the blue dots are what im hoping to be aided at after my HAs are reprogrammed. My current aided scores are in the above post.

In defense of the digitals, I got my first digitals in 1998 and I didn't notice speech being any worse but I noticed I could hear more environmental sounds so I still considered it a benefit. I got those Phonaks last year and they were much better than my old Widex.

Ive asked my dad about trying a high power analog like the Oticon Sumo XP. The digital is the Sumo DM. Can the digital be programmed to operate in analog mode if I find I hear better that way? I also like the fact the Oticons have more gains in the lows than even my HA.

I don't want any sounds being blocked out, not even the mid frequencies. I know I have very little hearing above 1000Hz, but id still like to hear above that. Ill see what my audie can do with those Phonak Naidas first then we will decide if ill benefit more from a Sumo DM/XP or just wait 1-2 years for new HAs to be out?

Did your analog HA need to be programmed or do you just wear it out of the box and adjust the volume dial for more gain? What volume is your dial on and can you turn the dial to max without feedback? My dad thinks ill get too much feedback with analog HAs.

My hearing loss is bilateral sensineural, which ranges from severe to profound.

I don't know the answer for #1 and #2. As for #3 & #4, I grew up with hearing aids and was able to hear and understand speech very well with my hearing aids. I come from a hearing family, being the only one Deaf and my family took advantage of the fact that I could hear and speak well so they had me talk at home, but allowed me to use sign language at school and at home as needed like if my hearing aid broke or had a ear infection. I was sent to a total communication program in the city my parents grew up & went to school in. We joked that in a way, I was lucky to be Deaf and be able to go to the better school district vs the schools in the city I grew up in. Anyways, hearing aids benefitted me very well for most of my life. I was always able to hear both environmental sounds and understand speech.

4. For those with CIs, did you ever wear or try hearing aids before in the ear/ears that were profound? And if so, how well did you do with hearing aids?[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the exact result of my last audiogram but I do recall that it was 80 dbs at 250 hz and the rest in the 115s. I don't recall my hearing loss ever being this bad as a child. When I was little my loss was 70 to the 100s.
No. When I hear things with my ha, it will cause severe ringing in my ears. It started when I was 19.
No. I think I may have been able to do so when I was very little. By the time I was 19 I couldn't anymore. I've always wished I had taken an audiogram to see if I was losing my hearing.

when my audiologist heard my history and got my results, she didn't think it'd be a good idea to have me try out HAs.

left ear is completely dead, always 0 responses on every hearing test, hearing aid and nothing. I can't remember the scores for my right ear but it's in the severe-profound range. am working on getting a cochlear implant (hopefully I can get the left ear implanted).

I have a profound loss in both eras starting around 80 and the falling off the chart. Without my aids I am all but deaf. My speech comprehension is much to be desired, but like I said, without the aids any hearing or comprehension is zero.

My aided scores ranged from 60 dB in the low frequencies to NR at 1000 Hz and above.

No.

N/A

I tried Oticon DigiFocus II super power BTEs as well as Oticon 380P analogs. My speech discrimination aided was 22% for my right ear and 8% for my left using hearing aids and a Comtek FM system with DAI.

mine is
Right left
250 100 95
500 110 105
1000 105 105
2000 105 110
4000 110 110
6000 105 98 (mostly vibrations, pain)
8000 98 98 (mostly vibrations, pain)
SN HL

I dont have any very recent results but here's my scores for my HA ear test which was unaided back in 2003
75db- 250Hz
95db-500Hz
115db-1000hz
115-db-2000hz
No Response at 120db-4000hz
No Response at 100db-8000hz

I dont know what I am aided to. I will find out on the 28th or short soon afterwards

I cannot really understand speech with HA

I had HA's from 9 months to 10 years for my left ear.

My left ear before my implant was

110db-500Hz
110db-1000Hz
115db-2000Hz
No Response at 120 HZ

I did brilliantly with my HA's until my hearing progressed. So I had CI surgery. I still wear a right ear HA

Sound field Aid scores R ear 2008

250 ~ 30
500 ~ 45
1000 ~ 60
2000 ~ 80
4000 ~ 105

I stopped wearing HA in left ear in 1994 until I was implanted in R ear. I wanted HA in left ear as i would be without sound for 5 weeks prior to switch on. Scores unknown.

Nope

Never

Tried Siemens prisma, Oticon Sumo DM, Phonak Digital and analouge none of these did any better. I remember my audi doing hearing test on me with Oticon 5 mins into it, she came back to the room and said is the hearing aid on, i said yep, new battery and she tested the HA herself it was working fine but I got no response from the hearing test AT all! Now using unitron analouge in my left ear...

I noticed that many are wearing hearing aids only to hear environmental sounds but can't understand speech.

Back