For those of you who ride bicycles......

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm curious.... when conditions are ideal for bicycle riding, how far do you ride? As for me, I normally ride 4.6 miles at least once a month (Except for December-March), but with the Metra constructing a new station at Ravenswood, and building new bridges and putting in a 3rd track on the Union Pacific North Line, I've been forced to alter my route, and this'll keep going until at least 2016, at the very least, and that extends my trip by 0.6 miles, and that's a total of 5.2 for one way. Round trip is 10.4, so that's considered a good day. Furthest I ever rode in one day was 16.6 miles (8.3 miles each way).

How far do you ride when you hop on a bicycle?

Unfortunately, I can't go far. My city is really horrible for bike riding; there's just too many drivers texting on talking on the cell and I've come close to being hit because they've been on the cellphone. I have to take my bike to the bike trail, which doesn't give me the exercise I'd like. Hopefully, I'll get a lighter bike that will make it easier for me to take it out and go a ways off the bike route. Normally during the week, it's not possible to ride if it gets dark quick and I'm home late from work out of state, so I tend to ride on weekends. Usually if it's sunny and not too cold, I'm on it....

Laura

Unfortunately, I can't go far. My city is really horrible for bike riding; there's just too many drivers texting on talking on the cell and I've come close to being hit because they've been on the cellphone. I have to take my bike to the bike trail, which doesn't give me the exercise I'd like. Hopefully, I'll get a lighter bike that will make it easier for me to take it out and go a ways off the bike route. Normally during the week, it's not possible to ride if it gets dark quick and I'm home late from work out of state, so I tend to ride on weekends. Usually if it's sunny and not too cold, I'm on it....

Laura

Hmm. I'm thinking maybe you could park your car or something prior to work and bike there? You can still enjoy it, maybe just not there, and if you have a break for lunch or something, maybe you could use that and do some bicycle riding? It wouldn't hurt, and you could get to lunch quicker and be back.

I do run about 7 miles so i did ride the bike more than 7 miles. i will say close to 20 miles

i use to love my bike but lost lot of confidence riding now bike rusted

Hmm. I'm thinking maybe you could park your car or something prior to work and bike there? You can still enjoy it, maybe just not there, and if you have a break for lunch or something, maybe you could use that and do some bicycle riding? It wouldn't hurt, and you could get to lunch quicker and be back.

I work out of state and have about five minutes for lunch. Most days I don't take a lunch because of the work load. I simply don't have time given when I need to be on the road and when I get home. The late afternoon/evening and weekends are all I've got. This is one of main reasons I'm trying to find work in Boston again....

I can't ride my bike now.

The furthest I rode was with our bike club. It was a half century ride--that means 50 miles.

I ride between a 100 and 400 miles a week depending on the weather and work schedule. Some is commuting and a lot is recreational. Best conditions are early morning before traffic gets heavy on a calm and cool morning.

My longest ride was 55 miles. I am a member of California Deaf Wheelers, a cycling group ride. We usually ride 40+ miles once every month. I am still saving for a nice road bicycle so I can ride 200+ miles every month.

602399_10151235504439875_857729114_n.jpg

1010909_10151653007289875_1127783138_n.jpg

My longest ride was 55 miles. I am a member of California Deaf Wheelers, a cycling group ride. We usually ride 40+ miles once every month. I am still saving for a nice road bicycle so I can ride 200+ miles every month.

That's a very nice bike; I was considering something like that but I'm not sure given my area if it makes sense. The streets and "side walks" are absolutely horrible and I'm afraid the bike would get damaged with all the pot holes. I know from past experience that the tires can pop easy with sharp rocks. I wish I lived in a better biking area.....

I have a blue hybrid mountain bicycle, and it's good for taking a beating at 25 MPH in certain locations here in Chicago, but I cannot go that fast everywhere.

I ride a hybrid and travel with a pack so it's not traditional road cycling. I do 18 miles, 9 to town and back on weekends. I've also done half century with my riding group(a mix of hybrid and road cyclist). For the most part, I can keep pace with the road bikes as long as it is not all out.

I ride a hybrid and travel with a pack so it's not traditional road cycling. I do 18 miles, 9 to town and back on weekends. I've also done half century with my riding group(a mix of hybrid and road cyclist). For the most part, I can keep pace with the road bikes as long as it is not all out.

I'd like to someday ride with a deaf bicycle group. I'm sure that would be LOTS of good fun.

I've hardly rode this winter, but I should. All those posts here make me think that I should try selling some bikes for reminder of the winter season.

I'd like to someday ride with a deaf bicycle group. I'm sure that would be LOTS of good fun.

The group I mentioned above is not a deaf group, I'm the only deaf member. While most of the members are talking during the rides, I hang back and listen to my Ipod. I can can still converse while riding, but it's a lot of effort and everyone understands. During every ride, there is a stop for lunch which is when I converse with people.

I'm putting together a bike meetup for my deaf group in the spring. I'm not sure how well it is going to work out as a lot of the members are older. I'm going to do a short destination trip for the first run.

The group I mentioned above is not a deaf group, I'm the only deaf member. While most of the members are talking during the rides, I hang back and listen to my Ipod. I can can still converse while riding, but it's a lot of effort and everyone understands. During every ride, there is a stop for lunch which is when I converse with people.

I'm putting together a bike meetup for my deaf group in the spring. I'm not sure how well it is going to work out as a lot of the members are older. I'm going to do a short destination trip for the first run.

Oh, okay. Still though-- it'd be cool to try that.

Back