For those have been mainstreamed in regular schools...

Grummer

Reaction score
Hi All,
as you would know I dont need to introduce myself, but some of you might know I am a student. and during this year I am going to try explore a differ erent sort of inquiry to find out how mainstreamed deaf people (now as adults) I'd like to ask if you could reflect, make comparison if you can, on what's it like before and now, and maybe why you prefer companies of d/Deaf more than you did in the past (or less?). It is understandable we are all different and have different experiences, different levels of residents hearing, speech skills, sign skills, english writing skills, etc etc, im not 'interested' in these, rather im interested in the impact of enforced public school /oralism have had on your social and emotional well being in life, as a person, and as a social individual.
Just keep it short if you can, and im sure it would be interesting for some of us to see how we all may experienced some thing differently and others, expereienced in similar ways.

OK, last thing before i start, its just 'an experiment' in here, to see how it might 'work' or id go back on the drawing board so to speak. Im just trying something 'new' , hope this is recieved well by you all other ADers...
it would be a big help to see, how it might 'promise' a good plan or if its same same same, and cant pull out interpretation then id junk it.

Can you describe in less than 25 words for each of these.
Before A), do please state your 'class' or type of school, was it posh, well-to-do public school (popular 'real american high school,etc), in the rough areas, - why i asked this is, some classmates may or may not have been fairly ambitous career wise, or what sort of school , and in there what sort of classmates did you associated with? geeky, sporty, fashion types, music m art types, or what but this bit, just be real short, its just to give us an idea how society 'puts you in place'..nothing more or less, a background nothing more.

A) what did you thought of your social life in the hearing world, during the school years

B) and in adulthood - Did you stay in touch with the hearies or they drifted away?
if moved on, answer D.
if stayed in touch anser C

C) did their social life outpaced yours?, more strained or is it better than before

D), why did they moved on, did their work/career outpaced you?

Iam sorry that i will not able to answer your question. I just bump this thread for you. :) I was in deaf school all my life. I have a great childhood, great life and do have ups and downs but that is part of life. :)

A. social life with hearing suck
B. Never talk to them, they bore me. No worry. I like my deaf group.
D. Not really, I just happen to have a nice job to support my life.

A. social life with hearing suck
B. Never talk to them, they bore me. No worry. I like my deaf group.
D. Not really, I just happen to have a nice job to support my life.

nice one!, now that's the sort of reply, simple to the point, and I hope others would do similar. Thks PowerOn

Can you describe in less than 25 words for each of these.
Before A), do please state your 'class' or type of school, was it posh, well-to-do public school (popular 'real american high school,etc), in the rough areas, - why i asked this is, some classmates may or may not have been fairly ambitous career wise, or what sort of school , and in there what sort of classmates did you associated with? geeky, sporty, fashion types, music m art types, or what but this bit, just be real short, its just to give us an idea how society 'puts you in place'..nothing more or less, a background nothing more.
Elementary was divided between a special program, and around three years home schooling.
Starting in junior high I was mainstreamed with support. Public school in nice neighborhood. As a double disability of high functioning autism and severe hearing loss, I was very different from other students.

A) what did you thought of your social life in the hearing world, during the school years
My only friend wanted to become a special education teacher.

B) and in adulthood - Did you stay in touch with the hearies or they drifted away?
I did stay in touch, and she acheived her goal and became a teacher of autistic students.
if moved on, answer D.

C) did their social life outpaced yours?, more strained or is it better than before

It would be a matter of judgement on who had the better social life. I got married, had a family, pets, lots of happiness and joy as an adult. She was a spinster school teacher who died of liver cancer about three years ago. I think my life was better in the end.

It did made my social life in hearing world easier because it helped me understand hearing people better.

Do you mean hearing people from mainstreaming school? If yes, then I haven't been in touch with any of them.

if moved on, answer D.

I dunno.... I mean I haven't heard from them over 30 years. :shock:

I'm hard of hearing. I speak and also read lips. My whole family is hearing so I was raised in the hearing world and was glad that my mother put me in hearing school. I didn't have any problems in school. I got my grade 12 diploma and good grades. I had a TA from kindergarten till grade 12. That's all. I'm in my 20s now and still in the "hearing world" I know some sign language but I don't have any deaf friends. They're all hearing. People come and go. That's life! I have a few friends who I've known for 6-7 friends and some new friends! My only issue right now is having a hard time finding a job since I do not use the telephone. Apparently it is an issue and I've learned that people can be judgmental without giving you a chance! Many many doors have shut on me but I will keep trying -.-

Raised oral in a hearing family, mainstreamed all my life. Social life in school -managed to have one friend each year. Never stayed in touch. Today, since joining AD almost 4 years ago, Have been learning Auslan and have tried to assimilate into the Deaf community here in Australia. Have made many Deaf friends, but hearing people are still a hindrance, they cannot accept that I choose not to speak. With Deaf friends, I hold conversation in sign quite well. Im happy when i sign. Those whom have known me as oral from years ago - cannot accept my preference. It saddens me. :-(. I only see my Deaf friends once a week at best. Even hearing people who have not heard my voice, they still pressure me to be oral, just because I am not completely deaf ( I hear very loud sounds only). Its frustrating at best.

Kept up socially, but it was very hard.

B) and in adulthood - Did you stay in touch with the hearies or they drifted away? A little of each
if moved on, answer D.

Lost touch with most of them right away, they were more socially active and more involved. Reconnect with a few 20 years later.

They had more opportunities and had better careers than I did. My family was clueless as to what to do for me. This was before internet.

I'm hard of hearing. I speak and also read lips. My whole family is hearing so I was raised in the hearing world and was glad that my mother put me in hearing school. I didn't have any problems in school. I got my grade 12 diploma and good grades. I had a TA from kindergarten till grade 12. That's all. I'm in my 20s now and still in the "hearing world" I know some sign language but I don't have any deaf friends. They're all hearing. People come and go. That's life! I have a few friends who I've known for 6-7 friends and some new friends! My only issue right now is having a hard time finding a job since I do not use the telephone. Apparently it is an issue and I've learned that people can be judgmental without giving you a chance! Many many doors have shut on me but I will keep trying -.-
This is pretty much my story as well, except I graduated in the top 25% of my class. And I use the telephone with a TTY.

Back