For the music lovers - an interesting article

ptcallaghan

Reaction score
I happened across this while doing some internetting and found it to be a very well written and interesting article about the trials and tribulations of listening to music with a CI..

It really shows what is possible given time and research by dedicated individuals.

Keep in mind that this article is 6 years old...so some of the info is a little dated.

Wired 13.11: My Bionic Quest for Bol

You should talk to drphil. He is very interested in music as listening conditioning with his CI.

I am familiar with Michael Chorost from his book Rebuilt. He doesn't talk about his experience re Ravel.
I had little trouble with "hearing music" after my Implant was activated. I have mentioned before-actually was at a Singles dance -3 days after activation. Yeah sounded "weird" which was remapped the next day! Amy Ng, my audi at Sunnybrook/Toronto just smiled and said "continue going"- which I have to this day. Thus, my crack about dances being Cochlear Implant exercise. Environment: Loud music to quiet people voices at the same time. Helps your brain "kick over" to new sound.

Smile Bottesini: Back to "night school"- Latin American dances for the next 9 weeks.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Michael Chorost, short article, My Bionic Quest for Boléro was in my opinion was a bit better written than Rebuilt. I read "My Bionic Quest for Boléro" a few years ago.

The book-Rebuilt is a much more extended discussion by him on his journey re getting A Cochlear Implant.

Obviously one doesn't get a Cochlear Implant just for "hearing music". Or at least I didn't. It is a "plus" to "get back hearing one's favourite music".

His book discusses how his Implant "changed him" which is an interesting point of view--is one "different" because of the Implant?
It was the first book I read on Cochlear Implants. Others were: Wired for Sound-Beverley Biderman and Life after Deafness- Bena Schuster.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Back