For people with bilateral CI

Jules

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm CI user and I was wondering how was your experience having 1 cochlear implant first and then the other one? (not at the same time) I'm asking you that because I'm considering to get the other one but I'm afraid when get activated the process of re-learning to hear from that ear and hearing in stereo again could confuse me....

Thanks!

went with an implant for 14 years on my right and still using it. Got my left 2-3 years ago, barely use it cause it requires a lot more training than I had thought. On good days, I wear both since you can hear more in terms of volume. Likr your able to tell where the sound is comming from.

But I did/still re-learning sounds and how to hear on my left since it hasnt been "alive" in ever.

Jules,

I received my two implants several years apart and I am happy with the result. I have found it is taking a bit longer for the second implant to get to where the first implant is.
I am trying to use only the second implant as much as I can to help get the second implant up to where the first one is.

Jules,

I received my two implants several years apart and I am happy with the result. I have found it is taking a bit longer for the second implant to get to where the first implant is.
I am trying to use only the second implant as much as I can to help get the second implant up to where the first one is.

But how do feel using both at the same time?

But maybe if you use it more often you won't have more headaches... I hope you get used to it and feel better with both CI :)

Yeah I cant say much on how much more you can hear (as in talking), but you deff hear more than with 2 processors and you are able to detect where the sound is coming from.

I feel fine using both implants. I don't get headaches are dizziness and I like that with both implants music is richer sounding.

I am going to tell you about my second implant experience. The operation went really well. No problems and my recovery was good. The Switch-On went really well and I had a great first session. At first I couldn't understand my audiologist and mum's voice with just my new speech processor alone for the first 10 minutes. After about 10 minutes some things started to make sense and sound familiar like my name. An hour later and I could identify the ling sounds and some words. It all sounded a bit like a helium balloon voice ( very high) or mickey mouse for a short time but I adjusted quite well. I was identifying and hearing things that my habilitationist thought might take much more time to be successful with so we were all really pleased and excited at the great results so early on. Also the 2 implants work so well together. The sound for me is richer and crisper. Far better than the hearing aid!!!! At the beginning when I would take take my first speech processor off to let my new implant/processor work alone to get used to it and I couldn't tell where the sounds come from or people's voice because the sounds would be blending in (I mean all sounds such as people talking, kettle boiling or paper noises all together) but soon I could make more sense of the sounds. I am even turning to the left when I hear sounds coming from that side. This means I'm starting to locate sound which is really good. I do some work most days with just my second processor so as I can improve my listening skills. It's going really well.

I can identify the Ling sounds.

I can distinguish a word from 3 words - words with different syllables e.g sad, silent, Saturday

Also identify a word from 4 words-cold, kitchen, crocodile, caterpillar

Sentence identification between 7/8 sentences that I can identify which one is being said ( Closed Set)

Also working on some Open Set sentences

Identification of sentences with carrier phrases at start of sentence or end of sentence

3 item selection sentences and repeating sentence eg Auntie Karen bought chips at McDonalds or Mum bought a burger at KFC

Great success with identifying Phonemes (low vs high vowel frequency use) bath or booth, spark or speak, tar or too

Word final discrimination in middle of sentence-This cage is for bears, This cave is for bears

Sentence recognition-related topics eg time, weather, sport

Sentence tracking

Reading aloud to hear my own voice

The best thing is that I love having a second implant. It's great and I am so pleased that I got it. It has made a big difference. I am hearing things that I couldn't hear before.

Back