For ORALISTS: Do people ever take you seriously?

sylbea

Reaction score
For those of you who can speak despite your deafness, how do people generally treat you?

Do you often feel you are not being taken seriously because of how you communicate with them? Assuming you can lipread, do you find it difficult to listen to them speak as well?

Say, even if your speaking and lipreading skills are top notch, do you still feel you aren't getting enough respect simply because of the fact you are deaf? How do you deal with this? Do you feel compelled to do something about this ignorance in general?

Do they not take you seriously because of your personality as well?

Being raised oral and never having learnt sign language myself, the hearing world has no doubt been full of trials and tribulations. Most of it is to blame on my personality - I am rather introverted and hence I'm not one for small talk, and it doesn't help that I lose interest easily when I have to lipread all the time - I'm successful only half of the time. While I can speak fairly well enough, it still leaves a lot to be desired if I really want to express myself properly without coming off as awkward because of my deafness, which people probably take that as socially inept on my part, hence they do not treat me as seriously.

Of course, I still have much room to improve in terms of skills and confidence. But it is also disheartening to think how there is still not enough awareness about deafness, and how it impacts communication especially with hearing peers. Most people have yet to realise that communication is something they seem to take for granted - not everyone has the privileged sense of hearing for such an vital aspect, just as not everyone can not see the beauty. Nevertheless, we try to make with our limited sense and can come a long way if only with a little more understanding and appreciation for what we are all given.

...Most of it is to blame on my personality - I am rather introverted and hence I'm not one for small talk, and it doesn't help that I lose interest easily when I have to lipread all the time - I'm successful only half of the time...

Don't blame your personality. Just to be clear my ears are fine, I have auditory processing disorder so take this however you want but I'm practically a hermit these days. It's not that I don't want to socialize but how can anyone when people usually do it in big crowds. Lip reading and guessing what people are saying is tiring.

Also it seems like you'd have the same problem that I do that because you seem to communicate fine some they don't realize that other times it's hard.

There are people who are not going to take deaf seriously and that is never going to change. I've always felt we need to be twice as good as other people in the real world to get the same out of it.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though, it's not like those people really matter or anything.

My feelings?...no mater how smart you are...how many degrees/how much schooling you have....and a fluent lip-reader or a good oralist.....people are always gonna think....that they are smarter than you (hearing people)....

It's hard to take you seriously when you're holding a monster can. :D

I'm in the same boat and the truth is that some people are just close-minded; it doesn't matter how well you talk or understand, when they hear the word deaf they assume you belong on the short bus.

Even when I was born and diagnosed with a hearing loss the doctor said to send me to a deaf school but my parents insisted on making me an independent person. I am happy to report that I am employed with my own house (9 years) with my own car and motorcycle.

Was it easy though? No way and in a way I wouldn't have it otherwise. Just look at some people who have perfect hearing and perfect sight and perfect everything and you'll be surprised that even they have issues. For example the trophy wife does not feel valued for her mind. Or the professional athlete feels unworthy of anything else besides sports.

When communicating with others I prefer not to be up-front about my hearing loss and only bring it up if it becomes an issue (e.g. covering their mouth) because I've found that when they start to discover how severe my loss they're pretty amazed how I can carry myself.

Sometimes friends will say, "I'll call you" and I have to remind them that I can't do that. In my opinion you can do more with the surprise factor and prove that despite your disability you can still achieve whatever you want.

Maybe you are over thinking it, or need to meet more people?

If I was a deaf foreigner in a different country like Europe (I'm American) I can see others not taking myself seriously primarily because of the fact I'm not a local. There are a lot of factors and I doubt deafness is the major one. If disability were the case, for example nobody would take a blind person seriously in public - it's the opposite where I'm from, people pay attention and help out blind persons.

It's all in how you present yourself. I give speeches now (political) and people show up and even listen. I also host events with pretty large crowds. There are occasions when I work with someone new where they are apprehensive (?) at first.....that changes by the end of the first day. It's all about attitude.... Don't go into a room hoping to fit in, go into the room and own it. Make others adjust to you.

They better take me seriously. I am their boss and if they don't do as I ask they get fired.

I didn't start at the bottom in a restaurant business being a dishwasher to working my way up the ladder to be ignored. I am good at what I do, I respect people and expect respect back. Don't see my deafness as an excuse, I got no problem taking your job away. There are other people who would love to have your job.

That's what I tell people who worked under me. Have I fired people who disrespected me because of the fact I am deaf/HoH? Absolutely. Where are they now. Working at McDonald's or some low paying job because they have a piss poor attitude.

I had one boss that disrespected me and used my hearing as an excuse. Saying I will never amount to anything. I left that job and went to college. Before cutting ties, the company got fined $10,000 because everyone that I worked with said that he (my boss) had a problem with me being deaf. He was shortly fired after that by the owners of the company.

The bottom line. You have to stand up for yourself. Stop letting them put you down. You have a voice, use it. If they don't like you for it, that's their problem. But more and more people will respect you after that.

Last edited:
I think I've had more people assume I'm dumb because of my blonde hair than my hearing ;)

Growing up, I always felt that I couldn't measure up and couldn't figure out why....looking back, I figured it out despite having super excellent speech skills for someone with a severe profound deafness. In the Deaf community, I don't feel that way.

I think I've had more people assume I'm dumb because of my blonde hair than my hearing ;)

That is true. But I have strawberry blonde hair so people either assume I am dumb or I have no soul (standard ginger joke).

The problem I run into most is that I speak very well so people assume that I hear very well. Not the case.

That is true. But I have strawberry blonde hair so people either assume I am dumb or I have no soul (standard ginger joke).

The problem I run into most is that I speak very well so people assume that I hear very well. Not the case.

I worked at Mobil when I was in the middle of my "good" ear going through very progressive loss, it took about 8 months from my 1st visit to the VRC until I got my hearing aids. My speech was a problem, I don't sound deaf, at all and people wouldn't believe me when I said I was HoH and please speak up and repeat. But this one woman.....OMG there has never been anyone I would want to punch in the throat more, she was a regular, and every time she'd come in she'd talk to my while my back was turned (I have no idea how many times I told her I was HoH) so I'd turn around..."what" and she'd say "what? the bleach get to your brain?" I cannot count the times she did this shit to me, pardon my french but this absolute warranted swearing here. Profanity is necessary!!! Oh it would burn my ass. I always wanted to say, what? you didn't know that blonde was a naturally occurring hair color? AND if I've bleached it that would mean I was a brunette, so are you saying brunettes are stupid??

Seriously though, the absolute worst time I've had with people treating me like I'm stupid was when I was waiting for those hearing aids, I couldn't hear a damn thing and nobody I didn't have anything to point to and say look, I'm deaf you asshat.

(I didn't start losing it until I was in my 20's my speech is perfect)

This is exactly what I am talking about when i say that just b/c a dhh kid has good speech skills, it's not going to autmaticly translate into hearing people taking you seriously.
I get a lot of dumbassed hearies thinking that I'm mentally disabled b/c of my deaf accent......I'm not hard to understand or anything....but b/c I have an accent they think I'm not exactly bright. This is exactly why I think speech skills need to be a TOOL, or the frosting on the cake, rather then the cake itself

To those who became deaf later on, it is easier for your to take a stand and carry yourself well that u get respected. It is harder after spending all of your lives being treated as 3rd class citizen especially as a child. As a child, I was told if I worked hard at perfecting my speech skills I would be accepted in the hearing world but out in the real world, I was never taken seriously no matter how hard I worked at my speech skills so I started blaming myself for not working harder. Looking back, I realized it wasn't me that was the problem....it was them.

To those who became deaf later on, it is easier for your to take a stand and carry yourself well that u get respected. It is harder after spending all of your lives being treated as 3rd class citizen especially as a child. As a child, I was told if I worked hard at perfecting my speech skills I would be accepted in the hearing world but out in the real world, I was never taken seriously no matter how hard I worked at my speech skills so I started blaming myself for not working harder. Looking back, I realized it wasn't me that was the problem....it was them.

Every single parent of an oral/HOH kid needs to read this! Oral skills are a good tool to have.....But they will never ever ever equalize a dhh kid, or allow for more then partial access to the hearing world. That's like saying that English skills will allow complete access to the English speaking world for a Spanish speaker who is in ESL (English As A Second Language) classes.

I do remember one time when this guy who had a very bad attitude...he said the only reason the company or any company would hire "disabled people" was because it was "tax deductible"...I was the only deafie in my department, and he also said that I was hired because "I had a nice ass".....

So I've been there and done that.....:wave:....Gone thru the sexual harassment too...and I've cussed out and taken some into the bosses office.....

And agreeing with Shel90...(about those of us who are LD)....

People will only respect you as much as you respect yourself. The people I deal with today never knew me as hearing. You have to go confidently and expect respect.

Every single parent of an oral/HOH kid needs to read this! Oral skills are a good tool to have.....But they will never ever ever equalize a dhh kid, or allow for more then partial access to the hearing world. That's like saying that English skills will allow complete access to the English speaking world for a Spanish speaker who is in ESL (English As A Second Language) classes.

"Never ever ever"??? Seems kind of negative....

Back