For Late-deafened

I always considered late-deafened people who used to be hearing.

Ditto. It makes sense to me that they used to be hearing until they lose their hearing during adult time.

:thumb: p.s. go check the starbucks thread I replied to something you posted lol

Sounds like the general consensus is that post-lingual is considered late-deafened and pre-lingual is considered just deaf. :)

j
ust don't find your hearing when you are a toddler to count really ...so if you lose your hearing when you're one or 2 i wouldn't consider that person late-deafened as they still are not fluent in speech and language yet...just my opinion tho..
I would consider that perilingal. Meaning you lost your hearing when you were learning spoken language. But yeah, that's definitly not the same as losing your hearing when you're an adult or even a kid (post three years old)
Kristina, I think you'd "count" as having a progressive loss. So you could identify as progressively deaf, rather then late deaf.

j
I would consider that perilingal. Meaning you lost your hearing when you were learning spoken language. But yeah, that's definitly not the same as losing your hearing when you're an adult or even a kid (post three years old)
Kristina, I think you'd "count" as having a progressive loss. So you could identify as progressively deaf, rather then late deaf.

Sounds good. I do identify myself more now as deaf since this lady told me that I wasn't really late-deafened due to the progressive loss. Speech was delayed and is now going bad.

I am late deafened. I started losing my hearing when I was 16(now 23). I just got hearing aids this summer and it makes a HUGE difference in all parts of my life. But I feel like I don't fit in either world, Deaf or hearing.

B
ut I feel like I don't fit in either world, Deaf or hearing.
Well then that means that you're more hoh. I can understand not "fitting in"
It does seem like there's a LOT of stuff out there for dhh as little kids and a lot of people who are "classicly late deafened" (due to age) but there's very little stuff out there for late deafened as teens or younger adults.

I am late deafened. I started losing my hearing when I was 16(now 23). I just got hearing aids this summer and it makes a HUGE difference in all parts of my life. But I feel like I don't fit in either world, Deaf or hearing.

I started losing mine at 16 too:) I'm almost 21 now do they know what caused yours?

I am late deafened since I acquired language wayyyyy before my hearing loss started.
True, but at the same time, I have to say that you don't seem to be a HLAA or ALDA member type. You know, the kind that is VERY negative about being dhh, and isn't really interested in Deaf stuff, but is mostly interested in How the Ear Hears and all that Hearing Health 101 stuff?
I do think that going dhh as a teen(especially a younger teen) may be different from going dhh as an adult or old person.

Agree:) I usually just say I am deaf but when ppl ask blh blah speech i just say i am late deaf and say i lose my hearing at 16 but usually just say deaf even tho technically ...i am "late deafened" even if my mentality isn't :)

.i am "late deafened" even if my mentality isn't
I have actually noticed a lot of young "late deafened" people being "almost Deaf" (meaning being very positive about being dhh, but the thing that differentates them from being "full Deaf is that they lack Sign fluency) I think that's an awesome movement!

I haven't met many ppl who lose their hearing around the same age I did...but that makes a lot of sense! :) And I WILL know ASL....one day! lol

I haven't met many ppl who lose their hearing around the same age I did...but that makes a lot of sense! :) And I WILL know ASL....one day! lol

I starting losing my hearing around 16-17 also. I'm 29 now though. :)

I have otosclerosis ( I posted an intro in the intro thread today) and I was wondering if anyone else here has it? I have not met anyone IRL who does. I am 38 and was just diagnosed-although I suspect it started a couple years ago. From my research, I realize that it will progress and I will eventually probably lose all my hearing-but I'm not sure how it typically progresses. I'm not late-deafened yet but this did onset mid-life, I was typically hearing until then.

I'm not sure how to describe it. I guess hard of hearing is most accurate. It's more than mild, but not deaf.

Late deafened here, with a mild loss diagnosed during high school. Sudden progression almost 2 years ago with near total deafness now.

I was born with problems then had my brain tumor so I've had trouble all my live and don't know. I had some hearing, but the kind where you have to put brain power in to listen. Then I'd go to school the next day without my homework done, because I wore my brain out.

These days, I just say and sign that I'm hard of hearing although finally considered deaf.

Interesting discussion: who is "late deafened"? Not sure if I fit-became Bilateral DEAF on December 20, 2006. At that point just crossed my 70th birthday.

Im not sure where I fit in as a child one side deafness and mild in.the other always told I was fine so stpp worrying,untill my hear got worse.at severe to profound now at more los these couple of weeks..so im not sure to im at calling myself slowly progressive deafness..

Hello everyone... I'm new here. I'm hearing but my daughter who is 20 is deaf. Or from this thread, "late deaf" as she was first diagnosed with hearing loss 18 months ago.
I suspect that it was actually around grade 5 when she began having difficulty in school. Her teacher and I just put it down to being a child of divorce, etc. Because my voice is very strong and clear we never realized she had a problem until I remarried and my husband has a very deep baratone voice quality. Little Girl didn't hear a thing he said. That's when we clued in. Since the first audiogram she's lost all but 5%. Even then she has days if she has a headache or cold, etc. the hearing is gone altogether. Dr's have no answers.

We've been taking ASL classes from a deaf instructor for the past 3 months and have begun to use it as our primary language in the home now. Even my hearing husband and I are talking to one another we use sign when my daughter is in the room.

Back