for late deafened people only

I don't really consider myself late deafened since I lost my hearing in my teens although technically I am "late" deafened...anywho I started ASL and LOVE it....can't believe what I'm missing out on..wish I would have started it earlier so I could have had terps in school instead of using just CART!

I understand where you are coming from.

Just let you know what is MY point is view. ASL is not my backup language. it's my priority language. To be honest, Since I was born Deaf. I have an awesome childhood, and feel completely satisfied and have a good life. I understand that your hearing level has been declining, and see ASL as your back up BUT it is a language. Just let you know. Wish you a lot of luck with ASL.

I did learn spanish language years ago .. I forget now already.

Cool! I am a late deafening guy. I am answering in an honest way. I am learning ASL as a backup you bet, slow but sure like I do everything. My hearing is going not gone yet. I am a lazy guy. I know it chaps you to hear me say backup but that is how it is in my shoes which this post is kind of aimed at. I felt the barb okay? I did not imply in any way shape or form that ASL is not a language. Why on earth would I want to do that? I am marrying a woman who speaks Tagalog and English. I will be with her all the time, it would be nice to learn some Tagalog. Why? Because it will give her some happiness. I will not be a great speaker of Tagalog nor will I be a great signer in ASL. That is just the way it is. I could be forced to be better by circumstance but that is what being a lazy guy is all about. I am not stopping anyone else from working hard. Right now I am tired. Be touchy all you want but do me a favor if you will, do it to someone else not me.

Last edited:
Cool! I am a late deafening guy. I am answering in an honest way. I am learning ASL as a backup you bet, slow but sure like I do everything. My hearing is going not gone yet. I am a lazy guy. I know it chaps you to hear me say backup but that is how it is in my shoes which this post is kind of aimed at. I felt the barb okay? I did not imply in any way shape or form that ASL is not a language. Why on earth would I want to do that? I am marrying a woman who speaks Tagalog and English. I will be with her all the time, it would be nice to learn some Tagalog. Why? Because it will give her some happiness. I will not be a great speaker of Tagalog nor will I be a great signer in ASL. That is just the way it is. I could be forced to be better by circumstance but that is what being a lazy guy is all about. I am not stopping anyone else from working hard. Right now I am tired. Be touchy all you want but do me a favor if you will, do it to someone else not me.

Ok thank you for your honesty. :aw:

My $.02 :)

I am learning ASL though I'm far from fluent. I think the biggest obstacle is not me wanting to hear, but more that all my family and acquaintances still see me as hearing. In their minds, I can talk so I'm hearing. My husband is trying to learn some asl along with me and I'm trying to teach my kids, but until the day comes when I'm forced to use paper and pen, they won't really get it, ya know?

As a random note, although I do wear aids I don't know if I'd ever get a ci (if it's even an option with my crazy loss). I'm completely ok with becoming deaf (and Deaf), I'm just scared of losing friends and family in the process and I think that's the hardest part for most people.

I understand where you are coming from.

Just let you know what is MY point is view. ASL is not my backup language. it's my priority language. To be honest, Since I was born Deaf. I have an awesome childhood, and feel completely satisfied and have a good life. I understand that your hearing level has been declining, and see ASL as your back up BUT it is a language. Just let you know. Wish you a lot of luck with ASL.

I did learn spanish language years ago .. I forget now already.

ASL is a language just like English, French, German, and so forth and should be treated with the same respect.

ASL is a language just like English, French, German, and so forth and should be treated with the same respect.

I didn't see anyone say it wasn't a language? I just saw them say it was their "back up language." Still a language, just not their first language, is how I take that. Don't understand why that isoffensive. I understand what he is saying as a late hearing loss person myself. I think he is saying that he can hear enough at this time not to rely on ASL as his first language. However, he is taking an interest in learning ASL as his back up language, in case he becomes so profoundly HoH or deaf, that he must switch to using ASL as his first language, thus making English his new back up language in society. Anyways, at least thats how I feel about learning ASL. That I am learning it because I don't want to be without it if and when I can no longer rely on my residual hearing along with lip reading to get by. But I am very aware that ASL is, in fact, a genuine language. Trust me, I get it. I am learning it, and it is so hard. Why? Because its its very own language. It has its very own vocab, sentence structure, slang, masculine, feminine tones, even can be spoken with a sort of accent, if you will, etc. Obviously just as real a language as any other language.

My grandmother has had moderate to severe hearing loss since she turned 80 and that was 20 years ago.

In her case, a sign language would not help because the people she wants to communicate with (the rest of the family) do not know any sign languages. We contemplated giving her a CI when it became well known about 10 years ago but were (still are) worried about possible complications especially due to her advanced age and her heart conditions.

Now she wears HA and can communicate with us all right when it is one on one. But she is pretty much lost when there are multiple people talking. She is always quiet when there is a family gathering and she just sits by herself and slowly nibbles at the food. Breaks my heart. Thank goodness the rest of the family does make an effort to talk to her from time to time, with pencils and paper and lots of hand gestures.

I wish I knew ASL better, Im just learning. I was born with inner ear nearve deafness and have been losing my hearing since birth, now legally deaf without aids. I wish I knew ASL fluently as well as more people that knows ASL/Deaf
I would rather be Deaf/Mute since my speech isnt so well.

I wish I knew ASL better, Im just learning. I was born with inner ear nearve deafness and have been losing my hearing since birth, now legally deaf without aids. I wish I knew ASL fluently as well as more people that knows ASL/Deaf

I too wish I knew asl better,but went to libruary and the lady really helped me get some good books. on asl phase signing .. I am deaf on left and hoh on right. I dont say things right either. and My husband says I sound like I got marbles in my mouth.. besides being from MIssouri..also .. I live in arizona now. the weather is better and my ears dont drain as often.. but still cant hear in multi areas.. or television,or music only beats..

Your Dog

Is that a picture of your dog? it is beautiful../

I'm 16 and am HOH I'll be officially deaf if my hearing digresses as it has been in 6 months.. I love hearing its an amazing sence but I'm desperately trying to learn ASL its so hard and frustrating that I cry almost every time because I can't hear people who can hear and I cant sign with people who don't I'm stuck or in a pickle and I need help desperately..

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

I'm 17 and slowly losing my hearing. I am still able to hear most things, but they say that eventually, I will be 100% deaf. I don't know how long I have until that happens. The hard part right now is adjusting and accepting this, and finding my place. I don't consider myself "hearing" because I'm losing my hearing. But I'm not deaf or HOH right now, either. So I don't know how to define myself.

I don't consider myself "hearing" because I'm losing my hearing. But I'm not deaf or HOH right now, either. So I don't know how to define myself.

You don't have you, you're you. Why box yourself into a corner with a label?

Laura

I know how you feel... I went from 100% hearing to 100% deaf overnight about a little under two years ago, and felt the same way. I couldn't hear, so I couldn't be considered hearing, and I didn't know ASL (still don't actually), so I couldn't be really considered deaf in a cultural sense either.

I can tell you it gets better over time... I came to see myself not as deaf or hearing, but as a person who just can't hear. It's a subtle, but important difference. Keep your chin up!

-Lauren

I'm 17 and slowly losing my hearing. I am still able to hear most things, but they say that eventually, I will be 100% deaf. I don't know how long I have until that happens. The hard part right now is adjusting and accepting this, and finding my place. I don't consider myself "hearing" because I'm losing my hearing. But I'm not deaf or HOH right now, either. So I don't know how to define myself.

I also am having a hard time. I have no one to practice ASL with and there aren't any schools around here that offer ASL so I am trying to learn online. For me it Is a necessity to learn ASL because I have a 9 month old son and to not be able to communicate with him would be devastating. If anyone is around the Chicago land area and would like to meet up or if someone is willing to help on skype please let me know. Thanks Elyse

I was 4 when I lost most of my hearing, was oral until I went to NTID, and was a 'minority' in the world of ASL. I picked it up quickly and have been fluent since.

Yes, I am still oral, yet when I am with other deaf people, I am about 90% ASL and 10%SEE. Like RR said, it makes life easier to get by when you can go both ways.

Still, I wish I learned it as soon as I became deaf, maybe I would not have been so frustrated being stuck between two cultures for many years.

Hi, Since I was HOH before, & my family pushed oral on me growing up, yes I wished I had been fluent in ASL. I was often alienated due to my bad hearing. So I ended up having to learn it after I became deaf after a bad accident. ASL is the greatest thing & most important thing in my life. I love ASL, & I don't miss being hearing one bit. My hearing child uses ASL & he's happy I can understand his wants! Can't hear anyone yelling at me now! :)

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Back