for late deafened people only

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
I am a cat, I am curious, so it's your call. :eek3:

Most of you who become late deafened people, as i have been reading most of your posts that you guys wish that you all can hear through the surgery for anything to hear. That is understandable!!

Were you guys ever wishing that you all know ASL or no care for it?

why or why not?

Remember this is not a debate discussion here. I want to try to understand you all better. That's all.

From the time (mid-30's) I found out I was losing my hearing I thought about learning ASL. Cirumstances delayed that by about 20 years. I am now taking ASL with one of my daughters (being a teenager, she's picking it up much quicker than I am :( ). We start Step 5 next week (egads!).

Since I can still hear quite well with my HAs, I'm not putting as much effort into as I probably should but at least I will have some knowledge of it if I should need to relearn it because I've lost all of my hearing.

I'm hearing somewhat OK, but it continues to decline. I've been learning ASL, but need to get my family involved. Hopefully can afford HA this year to give me more time. There's things I miss about hearing better, and there's frustrations with communication at times. But as a wise sailor says, "I am what I am and that's all that I am." :hmm: or is it "That's all I can stands, cuz I can't stands no more." :)

Thank you for sharing this with us.

It just dawns on me that anyone of you who got a CI. do you still wish to learn ASL or nah CI is sufficent ?

LD also (pre-teen)..and had to transfer to a Deaf School (N.C.)...first time in my life to see people talking with their hands...and yes, it was "shocking"...as I came from a small town.....So learning and picking up ASL was sort of mandatory if I wanted to communicate and make friends....and some of those friends are still my friends today!....I'm not fluent, as my time at the Deaf school was very short (graduated early)....And glad I know enuf to converse with other Deafies....

A lot of my friends made the statement that..."you went both ways!"...and yes, I did. I continue to be oral and a signer also....I've found out that it made my life a somewhat easier that way.

I don't consider myself late deafened, but I'll answer.

ASL alone would not have helped me because, even today, I don't have people with whom I can sign. On the other hand, if I had gone to a university for the deaf or taken college ASL classes perhaps I would know more people and it would be beneficial. So, I'll go with the later and say yes it may have helped.

I don't use that term either because even though I technically became Deaf around 30 I had already been learning ASL for 12 years and totally involved in the Deaf community already. Only got CI's at begging of parents and insurance would not pay for HA. I Rarely use CI. maybe on average a few times a month for a few hrs each when have to meet with hearing folks without terp for one reason or another...

If I have to give up CI/speech or ASL permenantly, it would be a no brainer....
:hmm::hmm:Humm, wonder what CI's are bringing on ebay????:naughty::naughty:

Me :deaf::applause:

I am a cat, I am curious, so it's your call. :eek3:

Most of you who become late deafened people, as i have been reading most of your posts that you guys wish that you all can hear through the surgery for anything to hear. That is understandable!!

Were you guys ever wishing that you all know ASL or no care for it?

why or why not?

Remember this is not a debate discussion here. I want to try to understand you all better. That's all.

I'm not late deafened but I've been one foot in both worlds my whole life. Yes, I often did wish I knew sign as it'd make life easier when my hearing aids were away for repairs, or when I'm in meetings - small or large; during group activities at school and work (I can never hear whenever I have to work in a group). Why I haven't learned: my learning disability makes it hard to finger spell, and just about everything needs to be finger spelled, especially in Italian; lack of money and no classes near me at times I can make; the militant attitudes of the deaf community (though not all) that I don't agree with. But I admit, learning ASL would make my life a lot easier.....

Laura

I would love to actually. It's really a matter of time and money though. I get by well enough with my hearing aids, for now. There is also the matter of who I'm going to sign with. it's not like I was born like this and the whole family had to learn sign for me, everyone is grown, adults with their own adult lives and responsibilities, I can't expect everyone to learn it for me now. Plus I only see them once a year, every two years. I keep in touch with them by text and the chat box on facebook :D FB is a real godsend for me the few years since I can't talk on the phone anymore.

Plus after all the stories I've read on here....learning sign and trying to get involved in the Deaf community is kind of scary. I have this feeling that hearing people are a lot more accepting of me than the Deaf community will be.

I don't consider myself late deafened, but I'll answer.

ASL alone would not have helped me because, even today, I don't have people with whom I can sign. On the other hand, if I had gone to a university for the deaf or taken college ASL classes perhaps I would know more people and it would be beneficial. So, I'll go with the later and say yes it may have helped.

True for me also, but I notice at least with my area, there's no III, IV, and V levels so you can't really learn anything beyond the basics. Many times the damn book is about the same price as the course itself. I've tried in community settings for years but I end up at square one....largely because there's no one to sign with...

I have known ASL since I was 4.
My hearing loss didn't become a real problem until I was 12 and I didn't become deaf (audiologically) until I was in my late teens.
I've had interpreters for classes and been in classes with deaf students.

I dream in ASL, I think in ASL, but I don't have many (any) people in my life who are fluent and I can "get by" with lip reading. So I do.
I'm working three or four times harder than my peers to become a doctor but that is fine. I won't give up.

If enough signing Deaf people decided to take the extensive prerequisite courses to enter medical school and started a Deaf medical school, I'd be there in a heartbeat but until then, I'm going to forge my own path.

I have known ASL since I was 4.
My hearing loss didn't become a real problem until I was 12 and I didn't become deaf (audiologically) until I was in my late teens.
I've had interpreters for classes and been in classes with deaf students.

I dream in ASL, I think in ASL, but I don't have many (any) people in my life who are fluent and I can "get by" with lip reading. So I do.
I'm working three or four times harder than my peers to become a doctor but that is fine. I won't give up.

If enough signing Deaf people decided to take the extensive prerequisite courses to enter medical school and started a Deaf medical school, I'd be there in a heartbeat but until then, I'm going to forge my own path.

That's Awesome, you know there is a organization for medical professionals with hearing loss. Also if you ever get a CI, I know a few of the Reseachers at Cochlear Americas and they has CI programming setups specifically for using with stethoscopes ... PM me if you want names and contact info or anything..

i went deaf suddenly age 30 infection after accident..went to a rehabilitation we took the person we be signing with..the alphabet lots of spelling(that a laugh)lip reading and all the extra both me and the person i live with.
i joined in with deaf community stayed a week or so with deaf lady joined deaf clubs...in london it was ok but i live elsehere now and no deaf community..
i dream and think as hearing,it was hard and still can be...i get awful head ache if have
to lip read intently all day i not great at it accept with family and friends..i had give up my job as a nurse but deafness was not all the reason. i know of one nurse and doctor who deaf he has terp...you have to know limitation, surgery would not be easy then other say it is...Life a bitch but i went deaf and i try live normal life but that not to say i dont have big pity parties

Im late deaf and luv all that is deaf culture 3yrs now I go deaf n eetups shows and gathering.

I've had a gradual hearing loss my entire life. In fact, my mom had a significant hearing loss and almost all my siblings have hearing loss.

I don't wearing HAs and would never get CIs. With hearing people, I rely on lip reading and using as much residual hearing as I have.

Some people MIGHT consider their hearing loss to be a curse; however, I have accepted it as a normal process within my life.

I believe we need to have a positive view of things. I love being involved within the Deaf Community. Every interpreter I have ever met has been totally awesome and respectful to all Deaf and HoH people.

Learned ASL several years ago. I feel extremely comfortable within the Deaf Community.

It is a joy to go to church and celebrate the Mass with ASL. It's so awesome to see the Liturgy come to life via ASL. In fact, it's the highlight of my week!

Right now I look at ASL as a backup language for what looks like is coming my way. My sisters and I are all in ha's. I started losing hearing first in my teens and lost a lot and then it levelled out for a long time and then started going away again. I have worn aids for nearly forty years. I still do not like them much and have no plans for going to a CI. The ha's I have are a great step forward but I still do not like them and do not wear them at home. At home I am not hard of hearing. When I fly I go completely deaf and it becomes clear that signing is a tool, along with lipreading, and the ol' paper and pencil. I take my hat off to anyone who still successfully learns other languages while hoh. My success at that has been not so good. Me I do not want to miss out on the jokes. :lol:

Right now I look at ASL as a backup language for what looks like is coming my way. My sisters and I are all in ha's. I started losing hearing first in my teens and lost a lot and then it levelled out for a long time and then started going away again. I have worn aids for nearly forty years. I still do not like them much and have no plans for going to a CI. The ha's I have are a great step forward but I still do not like them and do not wear them at home. At home I am not hard of hearing. When I fly I go completely deaf and it becomes clear that signing is a tool, along with lipreading, and the ol' paper and pencil. I take my hat off to anyone who still successfully learns other languages while hoh. My success at that has been not so good. Me I do not want to miss out on the jokes. :lol:

I understand where you are coming from.

Just let you know what is MY point is view. ASL is not my backup language. it's my priority language. To be honest, Since I was born Deaf. I have an awesome childhood, and feel completely satisfied and have a good life. I understand that your hearing level has been declining, and see ASL as your back up BUT it is a language. Just let you know. Wish you a lot of luck with ASL.

I did learn spanish language years ago .. I forget now already.

For me, being 28 I do not consider myself to be late deaf. But I have recently been told I have severe hearing loss. I am learning ASL because I will be profoundly deaf one day. Many of my new friends are either Deaf or terps so I am signing all the time now. I hope that one day I will be fluent in asl. I do not consider ASL a back up language for a few reasons. 1.) It is recognized as a foreign language in Missouri and 2.) I soon will not be able to hear people to communicate any other way except by signing.

For me, being 28 I do not consider myself to be late deaf. But I have recently been told I have severe hearing loss. I am learning ASL because I will be profoundly deaf one day. Many of my new friends are either Deaf or terps so I am signing all the time now. I hope that one day I will be fluent in asl. I do not consider ASL a back up language for a few reasons. 1.) It is recognized as a foreign language in Missouri and 2.) I soon will not be able to hear people to communicate any other way except by signing.

I'm 26.
I reached severe hearing loss at 17-18 and profound a few months later.
Late deaf doesn't necessarily refer to going deaf late in life, it is more about having severe to profound hearing loss after acquiring or semi-acquiring spoken language. So about age 4 or 5.

Hi,
I am 32 and realized I was HH in my late 20's. I am learning ASL; currently I have taken 4 semesters. The problem is that because I was never part of the deaf community, I don't have anyone to really practice with. The students in my class don't take it very seriously(non of them are HH. They are just doing it for 2nd language requirement to graduate from college). So I started using some sign interpreters in my other college classes instead of an RTC. Learning a new language is hard, and its even harder when you don't have anyone to practice with. Even though I am getting better at being able to understand now that I use interpreters, I voice for myself in my classes, so I don't ever get to practice signing myself. I have no one to sign to since everyone in my life is hearing. I don't know anyone who is HH or deaf. But I am dedicated to continuing to learn ASL. I know someday, I may depend on it, even though it is hard and frustraiting. I depend more and more on lip reading. It gives me headaches having to watch so hard, if that makes sense. My hearing loss has been getting worse. It makes me sad sometimes.

Back