For INTERPRETERS: A Wishlist

Etoile said:
... But if I can hear it, I will interpret it. ...
Exactly!

Interpretrator said:
... Now it so happened that there were a mix of deaf students in the class, some who really didn't care about the class and others who had some processing problems. For both reasons, they rarely got their assignments right or on time.

The teacher then, without asking the students about this, jumped to the assumption that my team and I must not be interpreting right....
This used to bother me, especially when I was a newbie terp. If a student got a bad grade, or dropped a class, I would doubt myself and wonder if it was somehow my fault, and the student didn't do well because of my inadequate interpreting.

My "epiphany" happened when I realized that the same student dropped another class that was interpreted by the most highly skilled, very experienced, multi-certified primo terp at the agency. Bing--light bulb on! It wasn't me--it was the student! (Just like hearing students, not every student is a good "match" for every subject or every instructor's teaching style; also, not every student, hearing or Deaf, is college material.)

I still do a lot of self-evaluation and critiqueing. It also helps to get feedback from team members.

Liebling:-))) said:
wow, I would like to ask you question...

Who cover the cost of your loss when she/he cancel the appointment in last minute for no reason? She/He or Agency?
The person who made the terp appointment pays. For example, if it is a school assignment, the school pays. If it is a medical appointment, the doctor pays. If it is a work place assignment, the business pays. The Deaf consumer normally does not pay.

Etoile said:
Oh my god, no! That interpreter was totally inappropriate. Even if somebody is having a private conversation - if the supervisors are whispering and clearly trying to have something in private - if I can hear it, I will interpret it. Sometimes the deaf client can see they are whispering, but I can't hear it, and they will ask me what they're saying. Then I will just say "they are whispering and I can't hear, it must be something private between the two of them." But if I can hear it, I will interpret it. Of course if I can't hear and it is something being addressed to the deaf client, then I will ask them to speak up. But private conversations that I can't hear are...well, they are private!

But I think that interpreter you had was completely wrong in not interpreting what the supervisors said to each other.

Yes, I have different interpreters who interpret when they heard "whispering" or parents´s "gossip" during break time. I do not expect them to interpret for me because they are not pay for that but it´s really nice of them thoughtful of us deafies... but during meeting is a different story... That´s why I requested Agency to cancel her in my wish list. I haven´t hire her for 7 years now after hired her for a first time... Agency asked me once to hire her because nobody have time for my appointment. I said NO and make a new appointment with school, lawyer, etc. until my wish interpreters have free... They arranged the appointment for me... I´m satisfy and happy to have my wish interpreters around... who tell me everything what they hear... It´s interesting new what hearies talking about... :D

Reba said:
The person who made the terp appointment pays. For example, if it is a school assignment, the school pays. If it is a medical appointment, the doctor pays. If it is a work place assignment, the business pays. The Deaf consumer normally does not pay.

Do you mean that school, doctors, lawyers, etc pay you for the person who can´t make up in last minute because of that "cold weather"? If yes, I do not agree to this because it´s unfair of them to pay you because a person choose to cancel due weather condition, not them.

We have to cover the loss of interpreter´s cost because we choose to cancel in last minute for no reason... We have to learn our lesson for not play on interpreters for nothing.

I have no problem to chat with any interpreters during waiting room... something like that...

how you learn to sign, married, children, holiday, etc... in general way....

Before or After appointment, we went to cafe and have chat when we have time... *strug*
I would like to be able to "chat" with a Deaf consumer prior to an appointment. It would help me become familiar with that person's signing style, preferences about voicing, regional differences, etc. Unfortunately, many people take offense at the most seemingly innocent questions, and act like the terp is interrogating them for personal secrets. Beyond the weather and traffic, there isn't much that is "safe" to discuss with a new consumer.

The other problem that is common, is that the Deaf consumer shows up just in time for the appointment, and we are quickly whisked into the office without even time to make introductions. There is no time to get to know the Deaf consumer, and no time to "brief" the hearing client about the "how to" of the interpreting process. Then, when the meeting is over, every one dashes off, zoom!

Reba said:
I would like to be able to "chat" with a Deaf consumer prior to an appointment. It would help me become familiar with that person's signing style, preferences about voicing, regional differences, etc.

Yes that´s exactly what many interpreters said the same thing what you said. Yes, many deafies have different movement of use signing, voice, etc... It makes them feel comfortable and relax after familiar with deafies´s movement........

Unfortunately, many people take offense at the most seemingly innocent questions, and act like the terp is interrogating them for personal secrets. Beyond the weather and traffic, there isn't much that is "safe" to discuss with a new consumer.

The other problem that is common, is that the Deaf consumer shows up just in time for the appointment, and we are quickly whisked into the office without even time to make introductions. There is no time to get to know the Deaf consumer, and no time to "brief" the hearing client about the "how to" of the interpreting process. Then, when the meeting is over, every one dashes off, zoom!

Oh dear, I´m sorry... I can´t image after read your post here. *sigh* I wish interpreters and deaf consumer should have time each other until they get familiar as human instead of see interpreters as "signing machine". I´m glad that you made your public post here to share with us. I hope deafies will see the sense after read your post here.

LinuxGold said:
1.) Coach to the hearing person before interview, classes and so on that *YOU* are transparent and that *YOU* are NOT responsible for deaf client actions.
Sigh...I "wish" that was possible. I almost never get to meet privately with the hearing client before the assignment; not even for 30 seconds. People schedule themselves down to the minute. Even classroom instructors show up, drop their books on the desk, and start lecturing immediately.

If deaf client happen to meet different hearing person and that hearing person talks to you concerning deaf client, just don't tell him "You have to talk to that person" just immediately interpret to that deaf client.
That is what I usually do. Also, thru my body language and eye contact I "direct" the conversation towards the person involved.

2.) ... If more than one deaf client is in present and their levels are incompatible to each other (i.e. English buff and ASL only without grammar knowledge) then what is the soluiton to this scenario?
Good question. In most of my assignments, there is only one Deaf consumer, or married couples with compatible styles, so not a problem. However, sometimes when I interpret at my church, there will be two or more Deaf consumers with "opposing" language needs. One wants full English signing and full mouthing of every word. The other wants ASL, and no "lip-flapping". If the two people are flexible, I can use PSE with some mouthing. Neither one is totally satisfied but with one terp only, do-do? :dunno:

If one is not flexible, then that one usually doesn't come back. I really regret that but I don't know how to solve that situation.

coloravalanche said:
Forgot to add...I noticed when deafies who acts like they are Deaf Power...they have an attitude towards an interpreters to follow strict rules otherwise interpreters will get fired...I think deafies need to chill out!

For instance: Deafies tend to force an interpreter to stand up in classes at college or something that isnt really necessarily for interpreter to stand up the entire time...

I am very flexiable and understanding person...I dont force interpreter to stand up entire time...I always make sure interpreter to feel comfortable and relax..instead of commanding them to do this or that..

Not really, the deaf customers have right to tell interpreters to stand up so that he/she can see clearly what the hearing speaker/professor speaks. Maybe the deaf student can not see blackboard that she/he stands in front of him/her. I know it may be dumb to request interpreter to stand but she/he has to follow customer's wish.

One time, interpreter came for the mandatory staff meeting at 8AM. He could not sign very well while his eyes were getting too tired. (You probably guessed that he stayed up all nite long). I ordered him to stand up and interpeted very well...

coloravalanche said:
For instance: Deafies get mad when interpreter arrives late for the meeting or whatever...these deafies needs to relax and chill out!

I understand competely that when interpreter arrives late is because of traffic, or not finish interpreting at other places that causes them to delay...that is very understandable...I dont complain those things...

My interpreter sometimes arrive late like 20 or 30 mins late at my doctor's appointment or whatever...I am flexiable about it...

I show grateful that we have interpreters here in this world...why complain? Just be thankful that interpreters have great heart to be our interpreters!

I have right to contact interpreting agency why the interpreters arrived late. My bosses would not pleasure to wait for the interpeters while I conduct the meeting for them and whole staff. Yeah, it is very embrassment for me while they are waiting for the interpreters to show up. 95 employees plus another teleconferences with another 100 employees at offsites waited for 10 minutes. That is not a very great professional manner for the temps to show up late....

About university class, I already told the campus manager that I have right to cancel the interpreters if i may not come to class. The temp may leave in an hour, according to the contract. Any professor can not grant temps the permisson to leave the class that I could not be in class. Why? I come to class after work. There may be heavy traffic or I may be coming late due to my personal reason. I only take 4.5 hours class once a week (not MWF or TR). One of the terps decided to leave the class but I caught him why he left. He said that he already waited 15 minutes that I did not show up. I told him that he should waited for an hour not 15 minutes, and this is not a community collge with deaf program. I also told him that if he did again, I can contact the campus manager for the breach the contract.

Mookie said:
One of the terps decided to leave the class but I caught him why he left. He said that he already waited 15 minutes that I did not show up. I told him that he should waited for an hour not 15 minutes, and this is not a community collge with deaf program.

Even at the community colleges where I have interpreted, we are instructed to wait 10-15 minutes PER HOUR of class, so for a 4.5 hour class we would wait between 45 minutes and an hour or so. Maybe that terp misssed the "per hour" part of the instructions!

As far as interpreting "extraneous" information, like gossiping and so forth, what I usually do is ask the deaf person if he is interested. That way if he doesn't care, I don't have to interpret it, and if he does, he gets to be involved. This may sound lazy but the reason I started doing this is because I used to interpret EV-ER-Y-THING I heard, and I noticed the deaf person trying to be polite and pay attention but was obviously not interested. So that time I asked, and he told me please not to bother. Roll call in class is a good example. Some students want to see all the names spelled out. Others give me the "are you crazy?" look when I ask if they want to see it. So I'd rather save my hand if they don't care!

I agree it is very nice to have the opportunity to chat with a new client before the appointment -- especially, like Reba said, to get a feel for that person's language and preference. A related wishlist thing, which can be kind of touchy, is breaks. Although I like to socialize as much as possible, I really need my breaks! I hate to have to tell someone outright "I can't chat with you right now" so to make sure I get my required downtime during a class or meeting break I usually make sure that the deaf person doesn't need any further interpreting for the moment (for example, questions to the teacher) and then I just leave the area and get that downtime. I know some interpreters feel bad "leaving" the deaf person alone without anyone to sign with, but personally I know it's a choice between staying there and then burning out later, and I'd rather be able to do the job the best I can and THEN, hopefully, have some social time afterwards.

Mookie said:
Not really, the deaf customers have right to tell interpreters to stand up so that he/she can see clearly what the hearing speaker/professor speaks. Maybe the deaf student can not see blackboard that she/he stands in front of him/her. I know it may be dumb to request interpreter to stand but she/he has to follow customer's wish.

If I had a student who required I stand up the entire time for a four-hour class, honestly I would ask to be moved out of that class. I don't mean this in a hostile way. I know some interpreters who PREFER to stand and they would be better suited for that situation. But I get very bad lower back pain from standing and interpreting for long periods of time (oddly, it doesn't happen when I'm just SIGNING!) and if the only solution for the deaf student were "interpreter must stand," then I'd just trade with another interpreter.

Definitely there have been some classes, like phys ed or art, where it is totally infeasible to sit. I don't have a problem with that. And of course I've done platform interpreting where there is no option to sit. But if it is a traditional classroom setting, I won't stand for it! (ha ha...)

Interpretrator said:
If I had a student who required I stand up the entire time for a four-hour class, honestly I would ask to be moved out of that class. I don't mean this in a hostile way. I know some interpreters who PREFER to stand and they would be better suited for that situation. But I get very bad lower back pain from standing and interpreting for long periods of time (oddly, it doesn't happen when I'm just SIGNING!) and if the only solution for the deaf student were "interpreter must stand," then I'd just trade with another interpreter.

Definitely there have been some classes, like phys ed or art, where it is totally infeasible to sit. I don't have a problem with that. And of course I've done platform interpreting where there is no option to sit. But if it is a traditional classroom setting, I won't stand for it! (ha ha...)

Umm, I have never ordered the temps to stand whole 4-hour course. There would be plenty of available chairs. :thumb:

Unless there are some problems, such as temp blocking views on the blackboard/projector, individual speaking too low, excessive exhaustion while sitting, I would request the temp to stand temporarily...

LinuxGold said:
Gee, I can see *VERY* aggressive deaf client.

Why not...don't you want to let deaf individual climbing ladder of the career?

Business is making good profits.

````

If the interpter contantly shows up late for the meeting, the deaf client prossibly is not gonna to gain the million dollars contract....

Mookie said:
Why not...don't you want to let deaf individual climbing ladder of the career?

Business is making good profits.

````

If the interpter contantly shows up late for the meeting, the deaf client prossibly is not gonna to gain the million dollars contract....

I'm not saying that "aggressive" as into bad thing. If I weren't aggressive, then I wouldn't be working as a Database Programmer ;)

LinuxGold said:
I'm not saying that "aggressive" as into bad thing. If I weren't aggressive, then I wouldn't be working as a Database Programmer ;)
I think the preferred word is "assertive". :)

Do you mean that school, doctors, lawyers, etc pay you for the person who can´t make up in last minute because of that "cold weather"? If yes, I do not agree to this because it´s unfair of them to pay you because a person choose to cancel due weather condition, not them...
Those are the agreed upon terms for hiring interpreters.

Who do you think should pay the interpreters for last-minute cancelled appointments?

Mookie said:
Umm, I have never ordered the temps to stand whole 4-hour course. There would be plenty of available chairs. :thumb:
I hope there are potty breaks during those four hours, too! :D

In some classrooms where I work, there are no extra chairs. None! If I get there before the instructor, I take his/her chair. If not, I stroll down the hallway until I find an empty classroom, and take one of their chairs.

In one lab situation, I had to bring my own stool from home. Even wearing orthopaedic "granny" shoes, I can't stand for four hours without a break.

Back