For CI users who also wear a HA

Lissa

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am having a bit of debate with myself about keeping my hearing aid in and using it. I think I am hearing better without my hearing aid, mostly when I wear my hearing aid with my Cochlear Implant, my right side- which is the ear that my HA is in, the sound is usually very quiet and I dislike this because I can like feel that it is very quiet. I know I hear no speech with my HA but it does give me a tiny bit more volume and stimulates my ear but I don't know if it is worth it keeping my aid in.
Has anybody been in this situation or can they give me any advice??
From day 1 when I got my CI, I have always worn my hearing aid with my CI

Thanks!!

Do you have any directionality at all with the ha? If so, I would keep it in. One of the most frustrating things for me being a CI wearer who no longer benefits from a ha in the other ear is not knowing where sounds are coming from. Someone calls out my name, and I hear it, just have to turn a full circle till I find out where they are standing..frustrating...

We discussed this before. People say im against CI but in your case, a 2nd CI has a good chance of helping vs. your HA.

I also wear a hearing aid in my unimplanted ear. I get little speech comprehension with just the hearing aid. I think the percentage is around 10%. During the last appointment we did some booth tests and I actually did better without the hearing aid. Volume wise things are much quieter with just the hearing aid. I am sticking with the bimodal appoach for now because the HA (Naida) gives me some of the low tones. I also feel more secure having a little bit of sound in my unimplanted ear. If the hearing deteriorates any more in my unimplanted ear(I have a 90 db loss now), I may just forget the hearing aid.

Hello Lissa, Hope your Xmas was good! I had good one.

Umm as you are being assessed for 2nd one it might be best if you keep wearing it. I am keeping mine in even i hear nada with it (110 -120 db loss) until the NICE change the guidelines!

We discussed this before. People say im against CI but in your case, a 2nd CI has a good chance of helping vs. your HA.

The question was not about the 2nd CI.

Thanks everybody for their comments.

Do you have any directionality at all with the ha? If so, I would keep it in. One of the most frustrating things for me being a CI wearer who no longer benefits from a ha in the other ear is not knowing where sounds are coming from. Someone calls out my name, and I hear it, just have to turn a full circle till I find out where they are standing..frustrating...

I cannot localise sound at all, even with the CI. I just use my eyes.

I cannot localise sound at all, even with the CI.
Oh wow.....Have you talked to your audi? Have you tried some of the more powerful aids? On the other hand......to upgrade to a more powerful aid (which might be more expensive) just for sound directionality seems a little overboard. If you had speech perception in that ear, I'd suggest sticking with the HA.
But you said that it's only a tiny boost of volumne.
If I were you I'd go see a specialized audi.(one affliated with a school for the deaf or an ENT hoispital)...like one who's experianced with bilateral CIs and young people.

Oh wow.....Have you talked to your audi? Have you tried some of the more powerful aids? On the other hand......to upgrade to a more powerful aid (which might be more expensive) just for sound directionality seems a little overboard. If you had speech perception in that ear, I'd suggest sticking with the HA.
But you said that it's only a tiny boost of volumne.
If I were you I'd go see a specialized audi.(one affliated with a school for the deaf or an ENT hoispital)...like one who's experianced with bilateral CIs and young people.

Like Overthepond said, I am under the care of my CI centre, I am currently being assessed for a 2nd Implant. I have a Spirit 3 Superpower which is also known as Sumo DM. Maybe the Phonak Naida would work better, I don't know.
I have a 90Db+ loss in my right ear.

Oh that's good. Sorry....couldn't remember the speifics of your case.
Wow....I'm kind of surprised that they are offering a second CI to people in the UK. Everyone implies that socialized medicene won't allow stuff like that.........boy oh boy
Is it a lot harder to get a second CI there? It does sound like you'll qualify right off the bat since you're getting very minimal benifit from CI.

Wow....I'm kind of surprised that they are offering a second CI to people in the UK. Everyone implies that socialized medicene won't allow stuff like that.........boy oh boy
Is it a lot harder to get a second CI there? It does sound like you'll qualify right off the bat since you're getting very minimal benifit from CI.

Who said i was getting minimal benefit from the CI?

It is hard to get a 2nd CI here, under current rules you have to be under 19 to get a 2nd 1

Lissa,

Good Luck with deciding on sticking with the HA or going for a second CI. I have also had the Second CI brought up to me. I have tried both the SUMO DM and the NAIDA and they are different animals. Each one gives me poor speech discrimination but the Naida gives me some bass when I listen to music. I would go ahead and try the Naida because at least you will have tried an alternative to a second implant. You will probably feel more comfortable with going Bilateral knowing you have tried an alternative. If you like the Naida then you may want to stick with it. Just make sure you feel comfortable with whatever decision you make.

This is somewhat off topic, but I am just curious how long the process from assessment to implantation takes in the UK? Here in Canada I was told about 2-3 months in total when I went for my evaluation.

Oh yes it's Blxxdy hard to get 2nd ci here as only under 19 would automatically get bilateral ci at same time or one if other ear is good enough for HA and to have CI later in life before they reach 19

This is somewhat off topic, but I am just curious how long the process from assessment to implantation takes in the UK? Here in Canada I was told about 2-3 months in total when I went for my evaluation.

Ooh, it depends on implant centres/hospitals and the county (the county each have budget and some places cannot afford much other places can afford alot)

My centre (which is research university) and through friends who had theirs done told me it'll take up to 2 years from initial assessment to Operation. In fact it took me 6 short and very fast months from start of my assessment to the op, it was 6 weeks from funding and panel meeting took place until my operation!! Now days the critera had changed, it's 18 weeks now for whole thing but it would be difficult to get the funding within those time.

When i was going through the ci process the first time it took almost a year from 1st assessment to getting implanted. i was approved in march 2000 and funding was not approved until september then I got implanted in October. But times have change I guess!! Alo to set2, I don't know if they would give me a naida since the hospital doesnt see me for my hearing aid at all.

Alo to set2, I don't know if they would give me a naida since the hospital doesnt see me for my hearing aid at all.

Me neither, once i was assessed for implant haven't seen my HA audi. That was 2 years ago. I get better care under the CI centre so won't hurry to HA Audi.

The HA clinic probably thinks you've ditched your hearing aid as I think that's what most people do when they get implanted :dunno:

Back