For adults who were BORN deaf & transitioned from HA to CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hearing with CI is in the normal hearing person range. I hear everything even the rub of my skin when rub finger together.

I was diagnosed severe to profound deaf at 9 months became so profound deaf that hearing aids stopped being effective at 9 year old. Got CI when I was 13.....

I still miss my hearing aids. I honestly understood the noises better with analogs. I do not regret getting CI however I don't use it. Its just too noisy. I hear CI technology is more advanced now with more realistic sounds than what tech I have now.

Have you checked to see if there is a later processor that you can switch to for use with your implant?

Also, I keep reading about the importance of doing rehab to train your brain to get the most out of your implant.

Off topic, but I gotta say this.
I wear HA's; have had them since age 6, and I must say, sign is setting me free. (Hoichi, you can jump in at any time, now) I never have problems with sign, but spoken language is a huge challenge for me. Personally, I want to ditch my HA's and establish myself as a Deaf man. I wear earplugs to eliminate hearing for the sake of immersion in ASL. I find many hearies' attitudes toward the Deaf/HoH quite insufferable.

Awsome, trippymoods...awsome!!!

Was born deaf, HA's until 4.5 years old that didn't help and used only ASL, got CI in right ear, went to normal kindergarten, normal 12-year school, military college and i'm now a programmer in the army. Thanks CI.

Was born deaf, HA's until 4.5 years old that didn't help and used only ASL, got CI in right ear, went to normal kindergarten, normal 12-year school, military college and i'm now a programmer in the army. Thanks CI.

What countries army? There is a guy on another board that i go to that has the screen name Tomer that is from Israel. I can't help but wonder if that is you. What you post about yourself seems so similar.

sorry to.break it to you, but you were NORMAL before your ci. deaf are NORMAL.
bieng DEAF is NORMAL.

bieng DEAF is NORMAL.
I'm definitely not normal. I like being unique... normal is boring...

I'm definitely not normal. I like being unique... normal is boring...

Fair. But we both know hoe tomer was using the term, and ideas of normacy and abnormality have been used in regards to us Deaf.

bieng DEAF is NORMAL.

normal
[nawr-muh l]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
adjective
conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
serving to establish a standard.
Psychology.
approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
free from any mental disorder; sane.
Biology, Medicine/Medical.
free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.
of natural occurrence.

No, you were not "normal" if you were born deaf by definition......

normal
[nawr-muh l]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
adjective
conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
Psychology.
approximately average in any psychological trait, as intelligence, personality, or emotional adjustment.
free from any infection or other form of disease or malformation, or from experimental therapy or manipulation.
of natural occurrence.

Ouch! Someone just got owned...[emoji197] [emoji106] [emoji48]

normal
[nawr-muh l]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
adjective
Psychology.
of natural occurrence.

:roll:

Oh my. Yes, I'm d/Deaf, but I consider myself perfectly normal. I'm not going to have some dictionary tell me otherwise.

One thing we've consistently said on this board is that anyone can identify themselves however they choose.

Way to make someone feel inferior. Good job, you guys.

Hardly.
then again you come across as someone who thinks us Deaf are dumb too..
Anyway
Im not the kind to let a dictionary dictate to me if im normal or not. clearly you are,
So that their is no misunderstanding ill be clear.
deaf are normal human biengs. We lead full meaningfull lives, we have a gift that we are Deaf, and many of us hold sympathy for the signed impaired. we are NORMAL, to be DEAF is normal,

Until the day they move the dictionary definition of "deaf" from it's first position, this is what we have to listen to.....

normal
[nawr-muh l]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
adjective
Psychology.
of natural occurrence.

sorry can you sign that?

Oh my. Yes, I'm d/Deaf, but I consider myself perfectly normal. I'm not going to have some dictionary tell me otherwise.

One thing we've consistently said on this board is that anyone can identify themselves however they choose.

Way to make someone feel inferior. Good job, you guys.

Why do you need to feel inferior just because you are not normal? This all falls under the same issue of not accepting the fact that you are disabled. So many here go into dry heaves at the mere suggestion of being disabled, but if you can't hear or have difficulty hearing, you are disabled. Acceptance will set you free.

"The Incredibles" are not normal. They ran into problems trying to live as if they were normal. Embracing not being normal is what set them free. You don't need super powers to take the same approach.

Whenever this comes up I think of residential school employees feeding this "normal" and "not disabled" nonsense into the kids in a misguided attempt to puff them up. You wind up with angry Deafies in denial in adulthood, mad at the world for not bowing to their differently enabled-ness.

You don't need to be normal to be awesome.

Why do you need to feel inferior just because you are not normal? This all falls under the same issue of not accepting the fact that you are disabled. So many here go into dry heaves at the mere suggestion of being disabled, but if you can't hear or have difficulty hearing, you are disabled. Acceptance will set you free.

"The Incredibles" are not normal. They ran into problems trying to live as if they were normal. Embracing not being normal is what set them free. You don't need super powers to take the same approach.

Whenever this comes up I think of residential school employees feeding this "normal" and "not disabled" nonsense into the kids in a misguided attempt to puff them up. You wind up with angry Deafies in denial in adulthood, mad at the world for not bowing to their differently enabled-ness.

You can have your definition, I'lll have mine. I don't feel in the least bit inferior. I don't feel in the least bit disabled. You can disagree, but then that tells me you have non-acceptance issues of your own, then. As far as I'm concerned, I'm awesome. :)

im sorry can you sign that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back