Food for thoughts... er, I mean stomach(s)

Vance

Reaction score
This noon, I had a job interview for political analyst position at newspaper printing company as a joke/bet with my friend. Actually I don't want that job but I filled up and dropped off the application for fun (I already have a good job)... I would think that they will discard my application or take my name off right after first interview but I was surprised that they called and asked for third interview (they made few interviews to eliminate the applicants). Anyway, right after the interview, I saw the paper on the bulletin board.. I usually read anything on bulletin board for events and activities. I saw one yellow paper about volunteering to help homeless by work at Angel's Kitchen or whatever.. during christmas week.

It kinda got me think... Well, I contacted my mother thru pager since we (my date and I) plan to stay over at her place when school's over for christmas vacation (one month, woot) about that volunteer. I discussed it over with my date about it and made a decision to drop some of our vacation plans to lend our 'help' hands for these homeless and other people thru 'Angel's Kitchen' and other places. We (my date wants to help too) plan to stop by Angel's Kitchen and other places tomorrow to sign some volunteer forms and get the schedule(s)...

I wonder if any AD'er(s) plan to do that as well or ? I am curious about you people because it will be my first time. I did that part when I was in HS but not after HS graduation. So I am kind of exciting about it. I think it should be traditional thing for me to do that every year or ... maybe every weekend. I dunno, it is largely depend on schedule & homeworks.

i do that every year volunteering to assist wiht homeless recently today i went to this place where they gives free christmas gifts for kids for those families who cant afford to buy gifts. i worked there volunteering.. it was fun. last year christmastime i went to this place called salvation army where i serve food to homeless. Man i never knew there was so many people... kept us all busy all nite long have been doing this since i was 14 years old.. starting by doing community service for punishment and doing it for so long that it became habit and its not something iwant to get rid of yet. it does make you feel good afterward because homeless people are always grateful and seem to them its a truly gift from you not becuase they were hungry but because u care enough to help them out.

Yes. I do a lot of community service for Meals on Wheels and St. Francis. I believe it is so important for every one of us to donate our time and helping hands to the needy ones.

I think its great you will do this, Mag!

SpiceHD said:
i do that every year volunteering to assist wiht homeless recently today i went to this place where they gives free christmas gifts for kids for those families who cant afford to buy gifts. i worked there volunteering.. it was fun. last year christmastime i went to this place called salvation army where i serve food to homeless. Man i never knew there was so many people... kept us all busy all nite long have been doing this since i was 14 years old.. starting by doing community service for punishment and doing it for so long that it became habit and its not something iwant to get rid of yet. it does make you feel good afterward because homeless people are always grateful and seem to them its a truly gift from you not becuase they were hungry but because u care enough to help them out.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprise if I will be feel good when I help them out. But that is not my reason to help out. I just want to help them out. It is decent human thing to do.

Ah, salvation army... I should've check that place out for information as well. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Meg said:
Yes. I do a lot of community service for Meals on Wheels and St. Francis. I believe it is so important for every one of us to donate our time and helping hands to the needy ones.

I think its great you will do this, Mag!
Where is that? I mean, Meals on Wheels and St. Francis... 'St. Francis' seem give it away but I couldn't find the name of state or city for that... That's bad :(

Yes! I think it will be great for me. I never think that I will be exciting about it. Thanks!

I haven't really volunteering anything so far but it is one of my dreams and I am willing to volunteering my time with those who needed it the most and during the holiday season too....

Roadrunner and I are planning to be involve in this program called ' Hungry children ' at a church and we're planning to be involve in other programs as well....

We also made Christmas cookies and passed it to our friends on our street and this old lady who lives next door from us was planning on moving after Christmas, I used to cut her grass, wake her leaves , even giving her Christmas cookies every year for 9 years now and since this year is going to be a sad one since she is moving and when we knocked on her door to give her a bowl of Christmas cookies the first thing she did was blast out in tears, then said " You have always been soo nice to me and taking care of me all those years " and I sure did end up in tears *laughing*....Oh well, but I'm just glad she was part of my life even tho I didn't know her that well enough but she was a lonely lady who was living by herself after her husband died years ago ...I shall miss her and wish her all the happiness :( ...

I am willing to volunteering my time for anyone really just to put a smile on someone's face that's all it really matters to me...*grins*

It's good to do something for a good cause. I have donated baby items to Mother Care for those who cannot afford to buy baby clothes, and items for the baby also.

I have donated cookies/toys "that my boys no longer wanted" to a program which called "Help Children in hand" that program was offered in my son's school.

I have also donated canned foods for homeless with children which that was also a program at my son's school.

I tried to help as much as I can, and it's a good feeling for me too.

We donated alot.

We donated toys, clothes, etc. to children home when the things in our house are not necassary.

We also donate €25.00 for children home every 1st week of December,too. The bank do transfer the money for us automaic every year.

I´m helpful person. I am willing to do anything when anyone need my help.

Yeah me 2, We also donated alot....

When Roadrunner and I were at the store buying some Christmas gifts and we had only like a few bucks left after buying so many things for our children, but it did not stop us from donating money into the red pot that was outside by the store, and hearing the man who wore a Santa suit said ' Merry Christmas and God bless you ', that was a good feelings when we heard that....

Sometimes when we don't have much money but still it didn't stop us from donate any money to anyone who may need it, or anything that may help ....

For the past weeks since the holiday started, I have watch on TV about hungry children how you can send money to help this program to buy food for the children in this other country and seeing the children tears, the saddness, and seeing how dirty they were ...Oh God, I cried and cried... no matter how hard it is with us with the incoming we have and what we earn on our own doesn't even stop us from sending any money to those kind of programs, It really doesn't matter if you send in one dollar or 5 dollars, those children would have a chance to have food, clothes and etc...That's what makes a difference in this, so that is why it is important to me to do something by sending any money out to help any type of programs like this....*grins*

Quilting and blankets

I've always wanted to learn how to make quilts and crochet a blanket. Then give them to needy children or mothers who have small babies and very poor. I don't know how to make them yet but it's one of my goals once I get a new sewing machine which I am supposed to get one this christmas.

I'm always giving away my clothes, and items from my home once I don't use them anymore. I believe it should be done year round, not only at christmas time.

I've noticed that once you bless someone's life, the blessings come back to you through someone else who blessed your life. You just have to remember to be thankful for them. :hug:

Yeah, same here. I always donate the things that I don't need to Arc of Anchorage, Big/Little Brothers& Big/ Little Sisters and other non-profit organizations. I work with the students at Arc of Anchorage. They don't have enough warmer clothes. It's the best to donate them, so they can play at the outside, skate, ski or do snowboard. :)

Back