FM Systems

morphocoelestis

Reaction score
Ok, so I wear BTEs, but I am having some problems in my lectures (a lot of my professors have accents, or can't quite seem to get the knack of facing forward when they lecture, not walking behind me, etc) I was considering getting a FM system (I may also be studying abroad, where I will definitely need to be immersed in a language)

Does any one know which countries they work in? (I might get a scholarship to go to Israel.. does it work there?)

Any specific suggestions/recommendations? (Brands, models, etc?)-- I am looking for the kind where the speaker wears the mike, and I listen with head phones-- not the kind with the stationary transmitter with an antennae like some schools, theatres, etc have)

I have looked at some ranging in price from $200-$1500. I can't afford much but the lower end, but will these even still be helpful? (I have considered buying one on eBay, but I am having trouble finding one.. if any one has one you would like to sell, I would be very interested.)

I've tried my own personal Phonak FM system (with the old T-Mic transmitter, which are no longer being made/sold I don't think), and I hated it for school. Classroom setting, choir, group settings, it just wasn't great for any of those situations. I still preferred the Comtek FM, with the teacher wearing the mic and myself wearing a neckloop (but you can use headphones instead of neckloops if that's what you prefer). The Comtek just had better volume and clarity... As for price range though, I have no clue. My grandparents bought my personal Comtek set, and I'm not sure exactly who paid for the Phonak system when I got my first digital hearing aid, but I'm sure it was expensive enough.

morpho, if you're just gonna use it for school, you yourself don't need to buy one. The SCHOOL can provide one for you.
Also some other ideas: preferential seating, circle seating, NOTETAKERS, C-Print, and 'terps.

U dont need to wear headphones u can just get an attachment for ur ha's n get ur audi to put the "t" setting on ur ha (if u dont already have it on) and the signal from the fm transmitter is sent to the reciever on ur ha and then u hear it directly in your ear. What kind of ha's do you have?

And deafdyke is right your school should provide the fm free of charge. Some schools may even purchase you your own like mine did...it all depends

I had a similar issue earlier and everyone gave me some great advice here on the forum. I talked to the disabilities service office and they ordered the one I asked for. It is made by Oticon and is called the "Amigo" or something. The teacher wears a mic and I pop in earbuds. It has helped me tremendously. I wish I could turn the whole world up a few notches. Then I wouldn't need HA's at all. lol

Yeah, I have had many problems with my disabilities office before. (The woman basically thinks if you aren't in a wheel chair then you don't need her help-- she always calls the phone in my dorm room even though I told her I don't use it.) I wish I could use circular seating (because I rely heavily on lip reading), but most of my classes are in rooms set up in a very particular way/lecture halls-- which can get very frustrating.. Also, though I have accommodations for a note taker (they pay another student in the class for theirs) but I can not find any one who takes decent notes, so I just wind up taking my own (with missing bits and pieces)..

It is even worse considering they offer a Masters in Deaf Education-- so they claim to know so much about the Deaf/deaf/Hoh, but I can not even get my professors to stop walking behind me when they lecture.

My big, public high school was better than this..

Hmmmm.....why not transfer to Gally or NTID? Seriously............I would lodge a complaint against the Disabilty services. Disabilites come in ALL flavors......and yeah I feel for ya about dumbass notetakers. Notetakers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is a portable device that the teacher and student wears, then there's no need to ask which country they work in. The real concern would be how to keep them functioning. If it's batteries, simply bring a bunch of batteries with you when you travel. If it's a plug-in charger, then find an adapter that will work in other countries.

I saw one at a local Brookstone store.

Brookstone: Dual Wattage Converter Kit

Sometimes they just don't know what to do. I had similar problems at my large, public university and in the end they have been extremely accommodating, but what it boiled down to was telling them exactly what was going to help me and what wasn't. Turns out, they don't have many students who are deaf/HoH at the school. And you're right, when people think "disability" they usually think "wheelchair". Have you thought of using CART? I used it a couple of times before I got the FM system (they had to order it) and it was a TREMENDOUS help. The nice thing is that you don't miss out on the other students' comments either. You have the right to request whatever it is you feel will benefit you the most. It's about EQUAL education, not "adequate".
It may be that you need to speak with your professors again and tell them exactly what you need from them. They forget. Everyone needs gentle reminders sometimes. Send an email too. I also send an email periodically just to thank them for being considerate of my needs. Life is busy, I know it's hard to be mindful of a lot of stuff at once. My one professor re-words important comments so I don't miss so much in the class. For the first 2 weeks he was shooting me "thumbs up" to make sure the system was working properly.
Our office is accommodating, but not exactly educated. My best friend here is blind and has a guide dog. When she first went to the office with the dog, they asked if the dog needed "play time" during classes. :giggle:

Oh, and btw, apparently--yes, FM systems only work in certain countries. In the US certain FM frequencies are set apart just for ALDs (and theatre microphones, etc). These frequencies are not accessible/usable in all countries. (You may wind up listening to the radio or something I guess).. it is the same reason why we can use those FM transmitters to play iPods over car radios (iTrip, Belkin, etc) but those same exactly transmitters are illegal in Germany and many other parts of the EU.

Oh, and any product reviews/opinions on Gentner FMs? (They are less expensive, but I assume that comes with some trade offs)

I would say a Phonak fm system would be good then. I've never heard of getner fm systems. Phonak has alot of different transmitters and the reciever for ur bte(s). I have the smartlink sx which is now the 2nd most expensive (there is a new fm called Inspiro) which was around 2800 i think (my school bought it for me!-thank god). I've used the edulink and the campus sx as well and they are both very good fm systems. I have yet to have a problem with any of those fms and i've been using phonak fm's for 2 years. Like I said before, depends on the ha too..if you have a phonak ha better to use a phonak fm.
Phonak hearing systems - FM transmitters

Q. Can I use my FM system in other countries?

A. Phonak FM system is a radio device, and like any other radio, it communicates on specific channels. If you are travelling internationally, be aware that your channel may not be approved for use in all countries. Contact your hearing care professional for a list of approved countries where your Phonak FM system may be used.

that was from the phonak website

I have used a Phonak SMartlink SX for almost 4 years now. Its quiet helpful, and you dont need headphones. Just small receivers fitted as a shoe at the end of your hearing aids. I would say, it wont work like magic, but you will need time and patience to get used to it. It also has a bluetooth feature if you want to connect it for cellphone use, but I basically used it for school, meetings, etc.

Yes, it is expensive, but since you are a student, there is a high possibility you can ask/convince the Disability Office to sponsor the device on your behalf. It remains the property of the University, so you could use it for educational use basically. I got mine from University and now my employer also recently sponsored one for me for work. I have tried using many other FMs that have long wires, headphones. They are ok, but this Smartlink is the best so far in terms of sound quality.

I agree, i really like the smartlink for the diff settings it has etc. Some schools (like mine) have a bursary for each student and they will pay for the fm for you and you get to keep it, but to my understanding this isn't common. Hugeboss is right it does have bluetooth but its kinda of a pain in the bum to change the setting etc on ur phone and the reciever all the time. I used the bluetooth once and never bothered to use it again...lol

Oh, and so may be this is stupid-- but what is the difference between a normal FM and a "tour guide system". I keep seeing them marketed as two different things, but as far as I can tell they are basically the same-- or at least the tour guide system is a sub-group of FM.

Thoughts?

No idea......but Morpho........it's really not worth it to shell out the extra cash for FM. Get the SCHOOL to buy you one! Like the only place that you'll use it for, are classes right? You're prolly struggling with tution, how to pay for hearing aids, etc.

No idea......but Morpho........it's really not worth it to shell out the extra cash for FM. Get the SCHOOL to buy you one! Like the only place that you'll use it for, are classes right? You're prolly struggling with tution, how to pay for hearing aids, etc.

Yeah, you are very, very right. I am trying, but according to my school, I have to pick it up at the Disabilities Office everyday and drop it off at night-- and this leads me to believe they will not allow me to take it with me during the summer. (Which is very important, because I have a scholarship to study anthro. overseas, but it requires a language intensive-- which is going to be really really hard for me.. I can read foreign languages OK, but I find it difficult to distinguish between unfamiliar words/sounds-- any way, there is a language intensive requirement and the project leader is going to have an accent, so I know I will definitely need an FM.. I am trying to find scholarships to pay for it, but .. I dunno.) I suppose there isn't any precident for me to be able to use the system over the summer is there?

Thanks for your help.

I have been in a very similar position like you - rent out FM System from Disability Office and return it at the end of the day. This typically happens if you have other FM systems that many other students can also use. I know it can be of some inconvenience to you. Now look at the other side, if you could convince your university for the Phonak Smartlink (just give some nasty excuse why the current FM they have is not useful enough!), they will sponsor for you (heck, they have to do it by law!!). And if that happens, the good thing is that you dont need to return it every night. You can probably best rent it for the whole semester and keep the device with you all the time. Ofcourse you are responsible if you lose parts of the FM. This is because the shoe (receivers for FM) doesnt fit everyone; just you, i.e. it is custom ordered for your use. So, the University might think it would be best to loan you the device for the whole semester rather than getting it back the same day. Hope it helps!!

Also, if the professor doesnt face you - bug him, trouble him and make him see reason why he has to face you. Remember, you have every right to a better education!!

Morpho, in that case I would contact the agency that is organizaing the overseas program, and see if they might be able to provide you with an FM device.

Back