flying after implantation?

mif

Reaction score
Hi All

When is it generally "safe" to fly after an implant operation? I have a wedding to go to exactly three weeks after my surgery.

Thoughts?

Hi All

When is it generally "safe" to fly after an implant operation? I have a wedding to go to exactly three weeks after my surgery.

Thoughts?

ask your doctor.

I think it was 6 weeks but please do ask your Doc. I think it's do with ear pressure and with recently operated ear they don't want risk any complications.

yes, definitely get a hold of your doctor and ask about this.

Yeah man and post his advice here too. I had CI surgery 3 days ago and I have a wedding to attend in 2 months. I'm also kinda concerned about the Electronic gate ways you hae to pass through too.

When I wore an HA those security gates drove me up wall every time I passed through one.

God Bless and keep us posted.

Hi All,

My surgeon said that it should be fine to fly within three weeks after the surgery- this is even before activation. I looked on line and saw that some hospital guidelines say that people can fly even one week after surgery.

As for all of you who simply wrote "ask your surgeon"- duh! I understand that this is NOT a substitution for actual medical advice but I was trying to get a sense of what others have been told.

Hi All,

My surgeon said that it should be fine to fly within three weeks after the surgery- this is even before activation. I looked on line and saw that some hospital guidelines say that people can fly even one week after surgery.

As for all of you who simply wrote "ask your surgeon"- duh! I understand that this is NOT a substitution for actual medical advice but I was trying to get a sense of what others have been told.

Clearly, the people who know weren't responding to this thread yet.

Yes it's safe to fly - there are no "pressure" issues except for whatever you might expect after any kind of surgery. You'd want your blood pressure to be back to normal as there's less air pressure on the flight to deliver the air mix to your lungs. Beyond that, have a safe flight!

Getting through airport security should not be a hassle pre- or post- activation. Just take the CI off, put it in your carryon bag, and walk on through the metal detector. The X-Ray machine should not damage newer CIs, but do not let it touch the X-Ray conveyor belt itself as that could give a static charge to the CI. In your carryon is the safest place to put it.

I would have questioned it too due to the restriction on diving because of pressure.

i have the same question you did a few years back. i am planning to fly 17 days after my first CI surgery and receiving the same canned answers (talk to doctors, etc..) Surg says 14 days. Waiting for ENT to respond. did you actually fly 3 weeks after the surgery? how was it? i have a 6 hr, with 2 leg, air travel planned. i'm really afraid of that horrible pain (if it resembles anything close to flying with a head cold.) Thank you in advance. I hope you get this message. I cannot beleive I'm not finding more info about this subject with real life experiences.

I was told not to fly for a month. I took a trip two months after getting an implant which involved 20 + hours of flying and I did not have any problems or pain. I wear my processors when I go through security at the airport and my Processors have never had a problem. Be sure to pack extra batteries, cable, coil and a spare processor (if you were given one) in your carryon. One advantage of an implant is that if there is a screaming kid onboard you can turn off the processor and no more screaming kid.

Personally I would avoid flying for at least 6 weeks. I dunno bout you but the pressure normally bothers my ears anyway so I could only imagine what it would feel like only a few weeks after surgery:/ I'd wait..but that's just me

I am flying this weekend 5+ hours. I am extremely worried about the pressure changes. Just driving up 1000ft my ears hurt post CI surgery!! It has been 5 months since my surgery!

Angel,

There are a few things you can try to help equalize the pressure when you fly:

1. Yawn

2. Chew gum

3. Take a Decongestant (if you have a stuffy nose and it is ok with your doctor)

4. Drink water to keep hydrated so your sinuses don't dry out.

I have tried all of these.

Back