Fly, Fly Away To "EYEth"

iaskedalice09

Reaction score
Hi people.

I was wondering, how do you get into the Deaf community in THAT area when you move? I am going to college and might not go out to Gally (out west maybe...it's WARM, fun in the sun!) so I'm kinda wondering. Also...I'm wondering if there are areas of the US where people sign more ASL vs. English (Deafies that is). I am really working to be bilingual for my future students. English is my first language so I'll definitely need help with ASL...so...I mean, I've heard that So Cal and Portland, OR regions sign more ASL. Any thoughts?

Being around other Deaf people is important to me. I have always felt out of place, being mainstreamed and completely oral. Bad experiences with making-fun-of-speech and speech therapy (10...years...). So, the Deaf World is a nice break for me, it really makes me incredibly happy to know that OTHER people have experienced being oral and being "Frankenstein" too. Hehe. :)

Deaf power!

My experience has been that Deaf people in the East sign...overall...more ASL than those in the West. CSUN, as good a Deaf studies program as it may have in some ways, is often referred to as SEESUN...and Orange County is the birthplace of SEE, so So-Cal and ASL...um...no, specific people...sure, but as a community...definitely not
However, in the typical Southern California way, many Deaf people here are more accepting of differences...mainstream vs. deaf school, oral vs tc... gay vs. straight, etc..so it's got its positives in that respect

Back