Fluent in 2 sign languages?

travisdoesmath

Reaction score
Just wondering, who here is fluent in two different signed languages?

Feel free to rip on me if this is a stupid question :)

I am not but I know some people who are.

It is not a stupid question. :)

Im getting there....Now that I am Fluent in ASL, I am working on LSQ and SEE... Good Question, My Boyfriend who is Deaf, knows more than two SL, He is fluent in ASL, LSQ, BSL and knows a little bit of German Sign, SEE....

It is a good question to ask around :)
I know a little of BSL and I hope one day I will become fluent with it.

Well, I use both ASL and SEE but I don't count SEE as a language.

I'm fluent in Auslan and ASL (American and Canadian dialects). I could be fluent in SEE, but like Reba, I don't count it as a language.

I'm fluent in ASL and almost fluent in Danish Deaf sign language.

I know ASL, SEE, and PSE. I know some of Italian Sign Language and Mexican Sign Language. Plus I acquire some region dialects from other states.

I sign ASL. When I was living in Germany, I learned DGS, but it has been like 10 years ago since I really used DGS last time. I have also learned BSL, but have not had chances to meet with any of my British friends lately. But, I do know LSF from my trips in France, and I practise it regularly. I need to visit my French friends again soon.

Incidentially, I probably will be learning a bit Norwegian Sign Language when I visit in Norway in the summer of 2006. Should be fun!

Does HSL (Home Sign Language) count? :lol:

My HSL is entirely DIFFERENT from my husband's HSL (his family just started to learn ASL and, I quote my husband, "butchered ASL" to create their own HSL which I am TRYING to learn) so I had to be VERY careful what to sign to my mother or to my mother-in-law/MIL or there would be confusion...!

I definitely will get an interpreter if I ever have both my mother and MIL and friends in the same site (say, my "real" wedding in the future) because I will be lost in three signing languages and TRY to translate for the other parties!

I would love to learn FinSL so I can let my family learning that language because several members of my family already mastered FinSL and tried to use it on me but they didn't realize that each country does has their OWN signing language. :-X

I vary between fluent, highly functional, and comfortably functional in a dozen languages - some signed, some spoken/written. I love learning languages!

I am only fluent in ASL but I would love to learn LSQ. I watched a video in LSQ once and I was able to understand most of it but not the whole thing. If I learned LSQ reasonably fluently, though, I could work on my French (I used to be fluent but I haven't used it in years), and then maybe I could live in Quebec - which is where I really want to move to in Canada! (Meanwhile I am considering Toronto because I could get work there.)

I know ASL and BSL pretty good. What an interesting experience I had in England. I met many deaf Britons and learned their language. Sometimes it is hard to read the fingerspelling in BSL if the signer was signing way too slow or fast. At a moderate pace, I was able to pick up the fingerspelling.

Back