fluent ASL user in your ASL class.

Only the English-oriented people in my area use the "S" on the chin sign.

It's not very common here, and when it's used it's typically in place of bachelor/bachelorette (having a slightly different meaning than the #4 "I" or "1" version of single, also meaning un-attached)

That being said, the "S" version is more prevalent in those who are 35-40+, likely because many of us who are 33 & older saw some SEE being used in some settings in or around school etc, even if ASL was the language of instruction.

For SINGLE, as in an unattached adult, I use the index finger, non-dominant to dominate side of the chin.

In this area, that sign is used mostly for indicating a person's marital status, such as MARRIED, DIVORCED, or SINGLE.

The index finger sign in front of the chest is more for indicating someone's feelings as a single person, such as ALONE or solitary (in my area).

Or to indicate one's attitude, such as a self-sufficient loner.

A lot depends on the context and viewpoint, as used in my area.

Only the English-oriented people in my area use the "S" on the chin sign.

Does your girlfriend live in Lansing? My Hubby is from there. :)

She lives in Hudsonville, MI area. However, the teacher told me that what she taught is also taught at Lansing Community College.

Class is offered through this program. http://deafhhs.org/

In WI I've seen the 1 sign on both sides of chin. A friend of mine also uses B (for bachelor) pretty frequently, but not interchangeably, he uses both signs just like in English you would have a different use of "single" and "bachelor"...he is single, and went to a bachelor party, for example.

Back