Florida Teacher's Essay Becomes Rallying Cry for Respect

I was in my local teacher supply store for home school stuff this past week when a teacher from the public school systems came up to me. It seems she overheard me telling to store clerk about how I would look online to a store in Columbia, MO for high school level workbooks for my son. This teacher asked me for the name of the place as she was in need of some books and such for higher grade levels and this store did not have them. The store specialized in Pre-K to 8th grade.

My son will be doing a Virtual School online and I will be supplementing it with stuff from this other school supply store in MO. Daughter is doing more review and beginning a forward movement.

how sad that the teacher had to ask you for information....

My mother was a retired educator. She used to try and get me interested in doing teaching.

However as recent as this year, she said she wouldn't recommend people entering teaching profession anymore after seeing how teachers and principals are continually being disrespected and not many feel safe on the job anymore due to abusive parents and students, and many don't want to work where the department of education does not work on protecting the educators.

Also teachers are tired of shelling out their money on supplies when it's the government that should be providing the funds for supplies and whatnot. Also tired as heck of working overtime with no pay and less respect.

Sad when she said that.

True. I remember my old teachers used to tell us about spending $ on supplies to meet deaf needs that governemnt dont agree to pay. :roll: now sad, lot of deaf schools are closing eventually.

Not everyone can afford a computer, books and tuition. All children need access.

Hawaii cut the school year to save money. I hope that this doesn't become a trend. If so, I see homeschooling in my future.

Homschooling isn't too hard, but not everyone can handle it.

I honestly did try the public school system until I found out they couldn't even handle a problem with learning issues such as my daughter, then took their frustration out on my son after I pulled her. Where I live now, the school system sucks totally. I wouldn't allow my worst enemy to put their kids into it, so I continue to homeschool. Maybe it will change when we move if we can.

Hawaii went to a 4 day school week. This forces parents to home school part-time. Working parents are angry and frustrated. Even teens shouldn't be alone unsupervised for so much time.

Hawaii went to a 4 day school week. This forces parents to home school part-time. Working parents are angry and frustrated. Even teens shouldn't be alone unsupervised for so much time.

True. I did notice that from a user on another forum. He was very upset. I think he still has one more year to go.

Back