Florida is 'Ground Zero' for sea level rise

I live about 10 miles in from the East coast. Already quite a chunk of the Island of Palm Beach has washed away and gone. There used to be a decent amount of space on the roadway for A1A or as I call it, the scenic beach run, but now, they've moved the seawall more and more inland that we don't even have room for a bike lane.

Funny thing though, We found a letter that my father-in-law wrote a family member that mentioned, back about 25 years ago, the coast was 15 miles from the house. My house is just next door and it's down to 10 miles.

That happened to us recently. All of a sudden FEMA decided our house was in a flood zone. We've lived here for 24 years without it being a flood zone. Even during hurricanes and tropical storms no water has come anywhere near our house. Our neighbors on either side are not in a flood zone. Just our house. Now we have to pay thousands more in flood insurance, and our deductible has risen astronomically. It's a scam. I believe we are subsidizing beachfront mansions. Our damage risk level is low, and their's is high, so someone has to pay the difference. :mad:

I have to make additional statement - yes, I agree with you and I want to end the subsidies for wealthy families who seeking to build or own the beachfront mansions, so they don't need our help by using taxes or your insurance premium goes to their house. :mad:

I live about 10 miles in from the East coast. Already quite a chunk of the Island of Palm Beach has washed away and gone. There used to be a decent amount of space on the roadway for A1A or as I call it, the scenic beach run, but now, they've moved the seawall more and more inland that we don't even have room for a bike lane.

Funny thing though, We found a letter that my father-in-law wrote a family member that mentioned, back about 25 years ago, the coast was 15 miles from the house. My house is just next door and it's down to 10 miles.

Eeeek!

That's part of why we are moving in a few years. Yeah, we went through a lot converting the garage, but now we are getting more and more info on the area and such and then with my medical needs, we are moving to a totally different area. Still near a coastline, so we will see.

Back