Floods in Fargo, ND/Moorhead, Mn

pek1

Reaction score
I can't believe no one's posted a thread on this yet.

Red River reaches record level, floods Fargo with uncertainty - CNN.com

FARGO, North Dakota (CNN) -- The Red River rose to 40.2 feet early Friday, breaking a 112-year-old record and creating a quandary for emergency officials who can no longer rely on historical data to guide their response.

The water rises Thursday in Fargo, North Dakota. Forecasters say the Red River will crest Saturday.

Hundreds already have evacuated Fargo neighborhoods, hospitals and a nursing home. Officials across the Red River in Moorhead, Minnesota, also were urging residents to leave.

The river topped the 1897 record of 40.1 feet about 4 a.m. CT (5 a.m. ET), said National Weather Service spokesman Patrick Slattery in Kansas City, Missouri.

"It's expected to continue rising," he said. Forecasters have said the river will crest Saturday.

Record levels for the river mean uncertainty for officials and volunteers who are scrambling to mitigate the flooding in the area, Slattery said.

Emergency responders can extrapolate the effects of the rising river, he said, but they cannot know for sure what works because they have never witnessed the river so high and therefore have no previous data with which to work.

"You get above record levels, you don't know. You have nothing to reference it to," Slattery said.

The effectiveness of sandbagging and temporary levees, as well as the direction and extent of the flooding, are among the mysteries, he said. "At some point, especially when you're dealing with record levels, you reach a point when there's nothing else you can do," Slattery said. "Start alerting people to be ready to get out of there."

City officials evacuated a neighborhood of about 150 homes early Friday after they found cracks in a levee. Capt. Tod Dahle said the residents were evacuated because the neighborhood lies between a primary and contingency levee.

Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker said late Thursday that about 100 people were evacuated from a nursing home and another 40 people from a nearby neighborhood. No one was in immediate danger, officials said.

MeritCare Hospital and MeritCare South University Hospital announced late Thursday they would begin evacuating 180 patients. Emergency services were to stay open, but patients were being transferred to hospitals in and out of state.

"We do not want to give up yet. We want to go down swinging if we go down," Walaker said. "Does that put fear in everybody's heart? I hope it doesn't. We have to do everything possible to be successful. And I think that's what everybody is committed to."

The evacuation of the 150 homes in the Fargo neighborhood was ordered after "longitudinal cracks were found in the earthen levee built to protect the area from floodwaters," according to a city news release.

Fargo resident Kristy Fermstad spoke at a City Commission meeting late Thursday with tears in her eyes. She expressed fear that the river behind her home would spill over by morning.

"If we wait until tomorrow morning, it's too late," she said, pleading for help from the city. Commissioners assured her that a portable dike would be constructed in time to safeguard her neighborhood.

The city plans to raise dikes to 44 feet on the south side of Fargo, and contingency dikes were being built in case of a major breach.

"We are going to use all our resources to make [the changes] happen," Fargo Deputy Mayor Tim Mahoney said.

A number of streets were closed Thursday to allow more room for sandbag delivery and emergency crews. Officials advised residents to stay off roads in North Dakota's most populous city if possible.

Sandbags are used to bolster dikes in residential areas around Fargo, while the city dikes are reinforced with clay.

Across the river in Minnesota, officials urged residents in part of Moorhead to leave "immediately, tonight or in the morning," Clay County emergency center spokesman Dan Olson said.

He called it a "directed evacuation," rather than a mandatory one. It also would apply to large parts of nearby Oakport Township, he said. The emergency center is setting up a call center where evacuees can register to be tracked.

Olson added that 500 "vulnerable adults" were moved earlier Thursday to Moorhead High School, about 45 feet above the Red River. He expected more to arrive overnight.

The National Weather Service has said the Red River at Fargo could crest at 42 feet, with the potential of hitting 43 feet. The weather service calculates flood stage as the point at which the "rise in water surface level begins to create a hazard to lives, property, or commerce." The flood stage at Fargo is about 18 feet, the service said.

A 1997 flood saw the waterway hit 39.6 feet, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Anyway, I've been off from classes almost all week, although I had a math class on Monday. After that, all classes were cancelled. It is absolutely pandemonium here.

I can't believe no one's posted a thread on this yet.[/COLOR]

you are absolutely right. I read some comments from the link I'm about to post -

For those wondering why we don't see looting, and for those wondering why we don't see a lot of media coverage, the answer is actually the same to both questions -- this is a relatively sparsely-populated area compared to, say, New Orleans. Wikipedia gives a population of 99,800 for Fargo. That's a lot of people to protect, but there's no comparison to the sheer size and density of New Orleans.

To those wondering why people build in a floodplain, you might want to look at the geography of the area and consider the size of this flood. It is the worst flood the area has ever seen, which means that areas never thought at risk are now at risk. This risk is not predictable. They have already accounted for the predictable risk. Now they are dealing with the fact that Mother Nature doesn't always confine herself to that. To avoid the possibility of a flood altogether, they'd have to abandon the main business of the region -- agriculture. And unless you grow your own food, I think that's something you'd rather they kept doing.

The events of South Dakota and New Orleans after Katrina cannot really be compared. River floods are very different from Category 4 Hurricanes that caused levee breaks. Many communities being impacted by this flood will have differing critical periods due to when and how high the river will will crest in their area and their are a lot of other variables: will ice block the flow in areas, will there be rain, snow, a warm-up? This could go on for a while, not at all like Katrina where you had high winds, rain and flooding all happening in a few hours.

Great link with TONS of pictures - Red River Flooding

Couple of ideas were ingenious to prepare for flooding - cheap and practical...

r04_18399125.jpg

r10_18433413.jpg

Positive Comments -

The fortitude of those people is so admirable. I don't know if I would have the same courage to go on.

"We are used to doing for ourselves and others who can't. We will win this thing or die trying."

I only wish more people had that philosophy. What a great quote!

We have three sandbagging machines at work and are cranking out 400,000 plus sandbags a day. Thanks to our Canadian friends for bring down the machines.
Those of you slamming the President had better watch your tongue as the federal gov't was in-state on time and at work and the President wasn't flying overhead oblivious to the problem - GROW UP!
As you will notice people in this area of the US are working to save the town and not waiting for someone to bail our butts out!!
Go North Dakotans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These pictures are so inspiring. They make me proud to be a resident of North Dakota.

I am from the area and was evacuated from my home this morning. I am really proud of our officials and everyone in our community and the surrounding communities, not to mention all the people who came from far away to help us. We have gotten 100% support from government agencies and they have been working nonstop to do whatever is possible.
It is hard to see people making snide remarks about the people who are here helping us get through this..If you aren't here personally helping out please don't put down those who are here really making a difference in our community.

The president has been on the phone with the mayor and governers of both states. The last thing we need here is for him to show up. We are used to doing for ourselves and others who can't. We will win this thing or die trying.

I have seen many of these pictures as well - Fargo is only perhaps 5 hours away from me. So the Mpls. Star Tribune has had article after article and photos about this. This flooding happens in this area frequently !!! Hope all is well on your end Pek and that you are not in any danger.

AC,

All the colleges and universities have shut down until further notice; Concordia College, just down the street and west of my university, Minnesota State-Moorhead, has closed its dorms. Public schools are closed. I live in south Fargo and we're dry, but the main street by the house is closed and to workers only, as a dike is nearby. I'm at the call center on campus and assisting those who need to evacuate. Snickers is fine, too! Thanks for asking!! :)

That's great you are able to help. I have a deaf friend here who has a son going to school at U of ND-Fargo, and he said the same that all his classes were cancelled too and that many are helping out with sandbagging. Will keep all of you in my prayers!

that's great you are able to help. I have a deaf friend here who has a son going to school at u of nd-fargo, and he said the same that all his classes were cancelled too and that many are helping out with sandbagging. Will keep all of you in my prayers!

ndsu?

Not sure, actually. Just that he's in Fargo and going to school there. I assumed U of ND in Fargo, but I really don't know for sure.

Actually, UND is the University of North Dakota and is located in Grand Forks; NDSU is North Dakota State University and located in Fargo, just across the river. :)

Think Spring everyone!!! We don't need anymore snow and we're getting more this week!!

Back