First Timer to a deaf college

Reaction score
It's my first time to go to college that is filled with deaf people like everyone is on here. I have never been to a deaf community before and I'm nervous, even if it's two months away for the first day of college. I wanted to know, what is it like in a deaf community?

How do I know I will feel like I belong there? I'm oral deaf and went through a disability school until I was ten years old and then went to a mainstream school up until now. I'm currently graduating from high school with an outstanding achievement and academic. I rarely had any deaf friends around me considering they live outside of my town. So, therefore, I have no clue what it is like.

I am currently learning ASL, but the problem is I have no one to practice it with other than my teacher of the deaf who I will not see over vacation time. So, I'm not sure how to learn quick. Do you guys have any video or DVD to recommend? I'd love to check it out and learn as much as possible, but sooner the better would be great!

Is there anything else I should know for a first timer like me?

Since you mentioned that you will go to deaf college. If you let them know that you have too little knowleges of ASL then they do have program for students who want to learn ASL for classes before school starts. Like my hubby who didn't know ASL and gallaudet provided the new students for learning ASL classes for two weeks before school started. He said, that it was real worth it. so you will know more when you learn ASL then you would meet people who are in the same path as yours.

I encourage you to read the whole forum that there are lots of members who wants to learn ASL. They did put links to find ASL learning or classes or VP etc. so I am pretty sure that you find a lot of information you are looking for.

good luck with deaf school.

Which one are you going to? NTID and Gally both always have at least some kids who are learning ASL for the first time. I know I read that 20% of NTIDers come to school, knowing NO ASL. Be openminded....Have the attitude that "you never got to learn ASL, and you wish you had." and you'll be accepted overall. I do have to say that I think that the term oral deaf is becoming obsolete. Most Dhh kids (including Deaf Schoolers AND DODA) do have oral skills/abilty. I think that deaf schools are getting a LOT more hoh/ orally skilled friendly....Heck a lot of deaf schools have hoh kids attending!!! :cool2:
I searched your post history....it's too bad you couldn't have gone to a deaf school summer program or at least Experiance Your Future at NTID.

Since you mentioned that you will go to deaf college. If you let them know that you have too little knowleges of ASL then they do have program for students who want to learn ASL for classes before school starts. Like my hubby who didn't know ASL and gallaudet provided the new students for learning ASL classes for two weeks before school started. He said, that it was real worth it. so you will know more when you learn ASL then you would meet people who are in the same path as yours.

I encourage you to read the whole forum that there are lots of members who wants to learn ASL. They did put links to find ASL learning or classes or VP etc. so I am pretty sure that you find a lot of information you are looking for.

good luck with deaf school.

I already did let them know I am interested in taking ASL courses and everything to be provided. Okay, I will search into that about learning ASL, thanks! :D

Which one are you going to? NTID and Gally both always have at least some kids who are learning ASL for the first time. I know I read that 20% of NTIDers come to school, knowing NO ASL. Be openminded....Have the attitude that "you never got to learn ASL, and you wish you had." and you'll be accepted overall. I do have to say that I think that the term oral deaf is becoming obsolete. Most Dhh kids (including Deaf Schoolers AND DODA) do have oral skills/abilty. I think that deaf schools are getting a LOT more hoh/ orally skilled friendly....Heck a lot of deaf schools have hoh kids attending!!! :cool2:
I searched your post history....it's too bad you couldn't have gone to a deaf school summer program or at least Experiance Your Future at NTID.

I plan on attending to Gally and that's good to know. I only have little knowledge of ASL. Of course, I am always openminded to a lot of things. ^_^ I never realize there are more to it before for oral skills. True, but at least I'm willing to make it up now. It's never too late, right?

True, but at least I'm willing to make it up now. It's never too late, right?

No its never too late to fix what I call "my team(refering to my multiple doctors and therapists and parents) mistakes" or learn a new language and use it all the time

I plan on attending to Gally and that's good to know. I only have little knowledge of ASL. Of course, I am always openminded to a lot of things. ^_^ I never realize there are more to it before for oral skills. True, but at least I'm willing to make it up now. It's never too late, right?

Betty,

Never too late!

Glad you're taking the swim. :)

I am glad of you learn it ASL, It is important to learn! I am happy hear you!

I never realize there are more to it before for oral skills. True, but at least I'm willing to make it up now. It's never too late, right?
That's true! VERY true! It may be hard at first, but I think you'll end up loving it....You'll discover your Deaf side!

I'm a college sophomore, but I'm transferring to a different school, so I'll be at a new college too. I understand what it's like to be nervous. But, when I was a freshman, everyone else was nervous, too, because they were in a new place with new people. So, don't worry if you're a bit scared. :) Trying new things is worth it!

Learning ASL resources: there are books, movies, and websites. From my experience looking at them, there are sometimes errors in signs or old signs, so don't expect perfection. But, they would maybe be helpful. Try:

• ASL • American Sign Language
basic asl lessons taught by Deaf guy. I like this site.

ASLPro.com Home
big site, lots of good info, but my friends and i have found some errors or old signs. most are right, though.

Texas Math Sign Language Dictionary
TX School for the Deaf made this online math asl dictionary

Another thing I can recommend is looking at Deaf Vlogs on Youtube when you learn more ASL. Also, if there is a Deaf school in your area, many have free ASL classes.

Good luck! :)

Good luck with Gally! I'm kind of in a same situation as you, but I have already attended at a community college to complete general ed. requirements for me to transfer to a 4 year university. I'm looking at CSUN and it's supposed to be up there with Gally/NTID.

I'm glad about you taking your time to learn ASL before going to Gally. I'd probably do the same if I pick CSUN. ...Maybe after I visit their campus in 2 weeks! :)

I'd probably do the same if I pick CSUN. ...Maybe after I visit their campus in 2 weeks!
I think CSUN would be so awesome for you....It's got the advantage of a large deaf population, at a hearing university. I think you would be blown away at the Deaf experiance, after having a hoh style educational experiance. It is AMAZING!!!! You would have a blast!!!! And I mean, socially it might be hard to break in at first.....but on the other hand, once you break into the crowd, you will love it!!!!

Have you signed up for the JumpStart New Signers Program at Gally? It's an ASL learning program for first time signers before you enter in the fall. I think it's like 4 weeks long or something like that. Here's the link: Jumpstart: New Signers

It's a great way to make friends too, because they'll probably all be oral like you. :) So you'll all have something in common!

Have you signed up for the JumpStart New Signers Program at Gally? It's an ASL learning program for first time signers before you enter in the fall. I think it's like 4 weeks long or something like that. Here's the link: Jumpstart: New Signers

It's a great way to make friends too, because they'll probably all be oral like you. :) So you'll all have something in common!

Most likely! Either way, students would know ASL as much as you come the first day in the program. :P

I am aware of the Jump Start New Signers and everything. It's just a little late for me to signed up for. Plus, it's like $250 in order to do it. However, I believe I will pick up very fast with Gally sooner than I expected. :D

Most likely! Either way, students would know ASL as much as you come the first day in the program. :P

I am glad to hear there aren't just ASL user. My parents are concerned that it's a deaf college and believes they only uses ASL. I'm trying to explain to them that there are many like me, Oral Deaf and lack of ASL. I have been studying little by little each day.

I am glad to hear there aren't just ASL user. My parents are concerned that it's a deaf college and believes they only uses ASL. I'm trying to explain to them that there are many like me, Oral Deaf and lack of ASL. I have been studying little by little each day.

Nope. Tell your parents that when CID/Clarke/Sunshine Cottage/St. Joseph/Tucker Maxon were booming there were lots and lots of kids who went to Gally, after graduating from there.

Nope. Tell your parents that when CID/Clarke/Sunshine Cottage/St. Joseph/Tucker Maxon were booming there were lots and lots of kids who went to Gally, after graduating from there.

Well, I already told them that and all. They continue to believe it's meant for Deaf only as in use ASL completely. Which I do not always completely believes.

Anyone has advice on scholarships or at least on job? I'm currently on a struggle for both at the moment.

Back