First time wearing digital aids

Shanna24

Reaction score
I got new aids,
Oticon Tego and I am just not sure if I can get use to them?!!?!!!

I've been wearing analog all mylife (27yrs) and well
I've been told a few months ago they arent making analog anymore!?

It sounds way to soft, I hate the way my husband and daughter sound
when they are close to me (in the same room).
The tv sounds ok and any other noise in the distance sound ok.

Do I really have to get use to it?

My analog sounds crisp, these digital sound...echoy, soft.

why are audi's always telling people that analogue aids are no longer being made? that's *not* true. if i were you, i would go back to your audi and return your digital aids. if you're really unhappy with them, there's no reason why you can't return them. after all, you have a 30 day money back guarantee. let your audi know that you'd prefer to try a pair of analogue aids. personally, i never cared for the sound of digital aids. they were terrible for speech and made voices sound weak and distorted. (having said that, each of us is different. there are many people who love digitals. it's just a matter of what you prefer.) like you, i've also been a long-time analogue user. i had been wearing analogues for 9 and a half years before i received my first pair of digitals.

I got new aids,
Oticon Tego and I am just not sure if I can get use to them?!!?!!!

I've been wearing analog all mylife (27yrs) and well
I've been told a few months ago they arent making analog anymore!?

It sounds way to soft, I hate the way my husband and daughter sound
when they are close to me (in the same room).
The tv sounds ok and any other noise in the distance sound ok.

Do I really have to get use to it?

My analog sounds crisp, these digital sound...echoy, soft.

Never had analog, so can't compare. But, before you trade them in, go back and see if the audi can adjust the settings in the digital first. You have the full 30 days, so it might be worth it if they can be tweaked to give you better sound. If not, trade them in for what works for you.

I'd say get ur audi to tinker with them a bit more..if u still don't like them trade them in for newer analogs or there are some digitals that can be programmed as analogs so dont let him/her tell u otherwise

the oticon sumo is a digital aid that can be programmed as an analogue. if you're unhappy with your current aids, you might want to look into the sumo.

Drat! I have this years analouge Untrion and it's made in canada.... umm i think you need to put your foot down and ask for what you prefer, I had digital for 8 years and loved it until i needed new digital, tried 3 or 4 new digitals never found them good enough for me so when i got the referal to Cochlear implant team, they gave me the anagloue HA's... much better than the digs i had tried.

I wonder if the Tego was the appropriately recommended HA for you in this case. I wear Oticon and know there are other more powerful aids than Tego. If you cannot get used to digital, good audies can titrate the level of gain to not have so much gain supression with louder noises.

Go back to your audi and get the aids that you like. I tried digital also and did not like them. The sounds were so off, also whenever load noises came up like the vacumm cleaner my digital aids would shut down and lower the volume. I hated that. My audi told me that since I have worn my analogs for so long and I was used to hearing all the sounds that digital was not for me yet.

I wear digitals and I love them. Then again I have never had analogs either. But at first I was having so many troubles with sounds. TV, people talking, water, doors slamming. But over a month or so and some tweeks to them we found what the problems were and my audi was able to tweek them to my needs. Id try and give them a chance smile

I have been wear analog 24 year analog until the new technology digital hearing aid an opportunity wear new one I love it digital hearing aid is enable to hearing world :)

Last edited:
I have both myself. I would go back to the audiologist and explain your concerns if I were you. Most of these things can probably be fixed with some very simple adjustments.

Also, it can take 3 months or more to become acclimated to your new hearing aids. The power may not be turned up all the way too. There are gain levels on hearing aids. My audiologist kept adjusting the gain on mine until we found a level I was the most comfortable with.

1. Yes the still make analog hearing aids.

2. How long have you tried them?

I always tell my patients who want to try digital (because everyone thinks they are the best) when they've worn analog all their life that there is a 20% chance they won't like them. That's because the analog signal is a boomy-boomy signal, it has a loudness property to it that your brain is accustomed to. The digital aids can reproduce the signal much more crisp and accurately (from a simple technology standpoint), but often don't carry that "boominess" quality. Hence when my patient doesn't get that, they are back to have me turn them up and at times there isn't any amount of gain I can give them to satisfy them. Power isn't the issue, it's the quality of the sound that throws them off, hence they go back to analog. It is very important for an audiologist to explain what to expect and what not to expect with any hearing aid, analog or digital.

1. Yes the still make analog hearing aids.

2. How long have you tried them?

I always tell my patients who want to try digital (because everyone thinks they are the best) when they've worn analog all their life that there is a 20% chance they won't like them. That's because the analog signal is a boomy-boomy signal, it has a loudness property to it that your brain is accustomed to. The digital aids can reproduce the signal much more crisp and accurately (from a simple technology standpoint), but often don't carry that "boominess" quality. Hence when my patient doesn't get that, they are back to have me turn them up and at times there isn't any amount of gain I can give them to satisfy them. Power isn't the issue, it's the quality of the sound that throws them off, hence they go back to analog. It is very important for an audiologist to explain what to expect and what not to expect with any hearing aid, analog or digital.

perhaps that's why one of my audis told me digitals wouldn't help due to my severe-profound hearing loss. (then again, i wore analog hearing aids for 10 years prior to receiving my first pair of digitals.) hmmm.

What hearing aids are Sumo Dm's ? Analogue or Digital?

because im sure I tried a digital aid once when i was younger and they hardly worked for me

What hearing aids are Sumo Dm's ? Analogue or Digital?

because im sure I tried a digital aid once when i was younger and they hardly worked for me

oticon sumo dm's are digital hearing aids that can be programmed as analogs.

Back