First sign class!

two_suns

Reaction score
I attended my first sign class on Monday, and it was so great! There were nursing students, social workers, athletes, babysitters, and a couple with a deaf daughter who all wanted to learn to communicate with the different people they interact with. I have mild to moderate hearing loss and wear a hearing aid so it never occurred to me to learn sign, but I registered for the class at the suggestion of my boyfriend who has a deaf relative and thought it would help me in noisy situations. The best part is that, despite being a beginning class, the instructor signs everything he says so you can pick up words even if you're totally unfamiliar with the language.

chuck_norris_approves.gif

Im in my first ASL class as well. I have been in it for two months now and its absolutely amazing. Im learning so very much in such a short amount of time. :D

I just lost my hearing about 4 1/2 months ago. Learned the alaphabet but need to take classes. I am 100% deaf. How long does it take to learn. what kind of commitment does it take for my family members?Also, I hope someone can answer this -I know it's not abnormal but what do you do about the music you hear in your head. This whole week it's been"Deep Purple" same song 24/7, HELP!!!!!!!?

it takes a lot of commitment from everyone. Its just like any other language or skill. The more you practice the more you understand. Its beautiful but at the same time very difficult, especially if you teach yourself.

Im hearing but I couldn't imagine loosing my hearing, sight, or anything like that.

I just lost my hearing about 4 1/2 months ago. Learned the alaphabet but need to take classes. I am 100% deaf. How long does it take to learn. what kind of commitment does it take for my family members?Also, I hope someone can answer this -I know it's not abnormal but what do you do about the music you hear in your head. This whole week it's been"Deep Purple" same song 24/7, HELP!!!!!!!?

What is your level of commitment? It can take anywhere from 2 years to the rest of your life. As for your family. Just be happy if they try... Many folks here have been frustrated by their families.

The music in your head? oh, just change the channel every once in a while! Seriously though. Talk with your Audiologist or ENT. It's quite likely that there is nothing you can do about it except recognize it at your brains way of telling you that it is hearing... nothing. It's the brain's weird interpretation of the lack of sound. I alternate between basic white noise and a crazy opera lady! :giggle:

Just watch ASL users and have someone help you.:D

go to Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free. check on switched at birth It will develop your sign lanuage and also sign up Sean Berdy on the website.

unfortunately the sounds in your head happen... your brain is trying to tell you that it isn't hearing anything... so to make up for the lack of sound, it is playing music in your head. There isn't really much that you can do about that... I for a while was constantly hearing... something... i wasn't sure what it was... but it was something. It still happens sometimes, especially after long days when I wear my HA's all the time... then my brain tells me something is different by playing noise.

As for learning ASL, it will take a while, it isn't something that can be done overnight, but it is something that will enrich your life. It does take quite a bit of commitment, but be very happy your family is participating, it took my mom 22 years to start learning sign language... or to even accept my deafness...

Yes, I agree that ASL takes commitment. I am in ASL 4 and I still have a ton to learn regarding signs, facial expressions, etc. But it is great to know that you can communicate with the deaf community.

Blind-Deaf

it takes a lot of commitment from everyone. Its just like any other language or skill. The more you practice the more you understand. Its beautiful but at the same time very difficult, especially if you teach yourself.

Im hearing but I couldn't imagine loosing my hearing, sight, or anything like that.
I'm kind of hearing but not really. I'm like 40%-60% deaf. So I'm not 100%. Like I used to wonder what it would be like if I were blind, and my momma said, "Close your eyes and you'll see," so I closed my eyes and I couldn't see anything. It was sad that blind can never see and other rainbow or stick in the mud. And deaf people can't hear any beautiful music. (100% mostly)

P.S. Look at my profile picture! It's sooooo cute!!!:D :aw:

P.P.S Can anyone else find me a sign name other than "book" I love to read but I would like a different one.

P.P.P.S I'm learning sign language AND IT'S HARD! I mean like I would finger spell everything, I know ABC's but it takes to long. I'm not learning a lot on the computer. Especially when I'm only 10 yrs. old.

You might just be remembering the 'sound' of something you remember. It is common and normal.

I often have "Stayin A Live" by the BeeJees going in my head. :giggle: OY!!

Back