First experience with ASL

Tim7

Reaction score
First off, many, many thanks for the swamp of welcome messages. As a "hearing person" I feel very welcome here and appreciate all of the well wished I received.

Just to share, I wanted to tell what first interested me in ASL and the deaf culture.

I was attending an annual holiday presentation at a church I attend regularly a few years ago. Sitting in front of me was a guest who I suspect was the only deaf person at this particular performance; yet there was an interpreter who was signing just for her. Though the performance was wonderful, it was even more touching and wonderful for me to witness the beauty of the experience of signing. The motions and expressions of the interpreter were amazing and I found myself wondering what the experience of the program must have been like for the woman watching.

I've never forgotten that experience, and over the past few months, find myself watching during a morning service as an interpreter signs for about 15 or so attendees.

When I get interested in a subject I usually start reading and researching, and the deaf culture and ASL have been no exception. I've viewed a number of DVD's on ASL and deaf culture. I've learned to fingerspell, and I'm learning some signing from two manuals I bought around Christmas.

I don't know where this will lead, ultimately; whether or not I'll want to be an interpreter or simply learn so I can get to know people who are deaf. But one thing I do know; I am interested, sensitive, and newly aware of an entire group of people who live in a world much different than mine, and I'd like to get to know them better.

It's great to be here, and to learn, and to begin to understand.

with warmest wishes and appreciation,
Tim

Welcome Tim,

It is a beatiful language.. And if you're geared up for it, it will be no problem learning it.
Have you made contact to the person that was signed for?
That would really help with sign..

Have fun..

:welcome: to AD! Yes, ASL is a beautiful language. I was amazed by all the ASL handshape stories when I finally became fluent in ASL and I am hooked on performances relating to ASL handshapes! :)

:afro: American Sign Language is a wonderful language to learn. I started learning when I was 14 when my sister taught me the ABC's. As I grew with, I wanted to learn more. Now I am 16 and is in a ASL II class at my local high school. That has been one of the greatest decisions that I ever made. When I graduate in 2008, I plan on going to college for health education to be a teacher and then also for signing. For me, I love signing. It was came a part of me.

That's one thing that often gets people interested. They attend a meeting, class, or session of some sort and notice an interpreter in the room. They then get curious and realize what's going on.

A lot of my hearing friends started out this way. :)

That's one thing that often gets people interested. They attend a meeting, class, or session of some sort and notice an interpreter in the room. They then get curious and realize what's going on.

A lot of my hearing friends started out this way. :)

I have absolutely no idea how I got started. I directed a video documentary about Helen Keller when I was eight (class project) and had already taught myself the ASL and Braille alphabets by then. I don't even know where I saw sign language for the first time.

I also played Helen, by the way, and due to my lack of experience in the film industry, I ended up wearing my glasses for the last two scenes. :eek3:

Most of people in my asl class dont take the language serious. Asl is just a joke to them, an easy foreign language credit. Half of my classmates dont even do their homework and cheat on nearly everything they have to turn in.

Most of people in my asl class dont take the language serious. Asl is just a joke to them, an easy foreign language credit. Half of my classmates dont even do their homework and cheat on nearly everything they have to turn in.

Yeah, I think unfortunately that's common in ASL 1 classes. When I took it as an undergrad, half the students would whisper under their breath (the teacher was Deaf) and it drove me nuts. And when I was in my ITP, I had a gig policing an ASL class taught by a Deaf teacher in high schools, because there was a high incidence of cheating during tests.

I have to admit I got a nice kick out of telling those rotten kids, "Today your teacher is going to 'hear' every word you say during this test."

Yeah, I think unfortunately that's common in ASL 1 classes. When I took it as an undergrad, half the students would whisper under their breath (the teacher was Deaf) and it drove me nuts. And when I was in my ITP, I had a gig policing an ASL class taught by a Deaf teacher in high schools, because there was a high incidence of cheating during tests.

I have to admit I got a nice kick out of telling those rotten kids, "Today your teacher is going to 'hear' every word you say during this test."[/
QUOTE]

:ily: for that!!!

There are many high school kids here that take ASL and most of them really take it seriously and have a lot of respect for their deaf teachers. It is those few bad apples that just think it is a joke. I am sure when they become adults, they will feel bad.

Yeah, I think unfortunately that's common in ASL 1 classes. When I took it as an undergrad, half the students would whisper under their breath (the teacher was Deaf) and it drove me nuts.

My adult ed ASL 2 class had two or three students who were there just for the money (they worked for a government office dealing with D/HOH issues, so they could get raises for taking the class), and they badmouthed the teacher and their deaf clients all the time. Very irritating. But, I suppose like any subject, the idiots tend to drop out the higher up you go. It just takes time to get there.

I have no idea how I got interested in ASL. I knew I wanted a second language, and I am horrible at pronunciation so sign language was a great option for me.

I remember in elementary learning the signs for Christmas Carols, then when we moved, there was a deaf girl that was in my class, I remember she did not have an interpreter and I wondered how she learned without being able to hear the teacher. Then I worked in a video store for 5 years and there was one deaf customer, I learnt the days of the week so I could tell him when his movies were due back.

I think being able to communicate, even with just 7 signs (days of the week), was so cool that I decided to take up ASL.

I have no idea how I got interested in ASL. I knew I wanted a second language, and I am horrible at pronunciation so sign language was a great option for me.

I remember in elementary learning the signs for Christmas Carols, then when we moved, there was a deaf girl that was in my class, I remember she did not have an interpreter and I wondered how she learned without being able to hear the teacher. Then I worked in a video store for 5 years and there was one deaf customer, I learnt the days of the week so I could tell him when his movies were due back.

I think being able to communicate, even with just 7 signs (days of the week), was so cool that I decided to take up ASL.

Yea, I wonder about that myself ...how did I learn without understanding my teachers 90% of the time growing up? :dunno:

I wanted to start learning sign language when i first got together with my (now ex) bf about 2 yrs ago, because he is fluent with ASL.. and then really when we had our baby, and he is also hard of hearing.... then on my own (since daddy was no longer with us) I started teaching my son signs, and at almost 15 months old... he signs quite a few things ......I LOVE IT>> makes me PROUD>>> we are both learning together :)

I wanted to start learning sign language when i first got together with my (now ex) bf about 2 yrs ago, because he is fluent with ASL.. and then really when we had our baby, and he is also hard of hearing.... then on my own (since daddy was no longer with us) I started teaching my son signs, and at almost 15 months old... he signs quite a few things ......I LOVE IT>> makes me PROUD>>> we are both learning together :)

That is so sweet that u are proud of it and learning together. It will sure strengthen the bond between you and your son. I have a 15 month old too and he signs a lot. He seems to prefer to sign rather than use his voice (yes he is hearing and I am deaf). Many people, especially my in-laws, dont see the significance of teaching my son ASL even though I can lipread and speak well. I dont understand that at all.

Your son will appreciate the fact that u are willing to learn ASL when he gets older. I wish my parents learned sign language. My mom is finally learning now after 35 years of denying it. She has no idea how happy that makes my deaf brother and I!

I have to admit I got a nice kick out of telling those rotten kids, "Today your teacher is going to 'hear' every word you say during this test."

btw, i'm not in asl 1.

I remember when I took Spanish I and II in high school. (small school, where NO ONE took the class because they wanted to learn the language). It was the only foreign language credit possible, so it was required to be taken. Sure, someone might remember a TINY bit of stuff from the class, but no one remembered it. Either way, just ignore the idiots in the class... If they don't want to learn when they enter, they probably won't by the time they get out of it.

Honestly, although I'm learning sign language now, I wouldn't have taken it seriously back in high school. Something just changed in me, lol. So, you never know how people will turn out.

Back