First Evaluation from Audiologist since years

MINILEE

Reaction score
Hi I'm Ming Lee from Riverside California and I'm 16. I was recently referred to an Audio, because of my hearing. I am hard of hearing but they told me I'm deaf actually I don't quite understand it. I went to my local miracle ear and they told me that. Then they referred me to an audiologist.
so how is the test?
how does it work?
what to expect?
I have analog hearing aids thats about it.
they said i have a profound loss in both ears so I have to have digital.
I know sign language because my parents took me to a school that was hard of hearing and deaf but and I can speak fine
I lost most of my hearing at 5 years old due to medications.
I didn't want to bother or be embarassed so I rarely let people know.
so how do I deal with this and do you all show you hearing aids?
How do you identify yourself?
sorry for all the questions I'm a newbie

Don't be sad. If you have already been deaf since age 5, it should not be a problem to be more deaf.

And lots of 16 years old may try to hide their hearing aids. It is just a self conscious age..

I haven't been in ages my mom says since i was little
most of my friends are against deaf people who want to wear hearing aids they choose not to wear them so i wear my hair down
I just hate the stigma attached with it
but yeah i see your point,...
I dont remember the evaluation since i was born that was a long time ago i dont even know what to expect

I'm born profoundly deaf who wear hearing aids and speak fairly ok. The deafness I'm in is near the severe hard of hearing area (around 90 db) . I was never taught ASL either. I consider myself as deaf. but with my hearing aids/cochlear implant on, I also consider myself Hard-of-hearing... especially to other deaf people. Because hearing people don't understand Hard-of-hearing so they tend to treat you as person who used to hear but lost their hearing due to age (which what Miracle Ear is for and why they refer you to an audiologist.. they are just hearing aid dealer for people who have more hearing than you). Hearing people don't understand it is different with someone who was born deaf all her life and need a different method of communicating. So I just tell them I'm deaf.

Yes, deaf people tend to want people to be proud of being deaf.

:welcome:!!

I am 19 years old and have had a hearing loss since just after birth. I am profoundly deaf, I just wanted to say that you have had a hearing loss since the age of 5, so don't be ashamed/embarrassed!

Kids used to pick on me as well for my hearing aid. My brother was the one who loved brush and fix my hair. I always had my hair down with barrettes pulling the sides back just a little. enough to keep it out of my face, but it still kept my hearing aids covered.

As far as the friends who have bad comments about hard of hearing or deaf people, too bad they don't know any better and they need to learn. My heart goes out to you and a lot of us here know what you are going through.

Welcome to AllDeaf!! You will learn a lot about this journey you are facing and learn what you can expect and how to help yourself in the process. I know I did.

thank you all for your kind words.
so what to expect at the evaluation.
i know my teachers know about my hearing but since its needing more attention they get mad at me for wanting them to speak up
as far as my hearing aids i guess i will debate if i show them people stare when they see them anyway...its okay though but i wud love to not have to have my hair down all the time....but seriously though i did have a mistake i carry the batteries in my pocket and washed them lol.
So i guess i am a newbie because i used an interpreter for the longest now .
I'm using my aids to try them out to hear better and to learn about the hearing and make new friends. They get annoyed alot because I say what? lol maybe I need to say something nicer.

thank you all for your kind words.
so what to expect at the evaluation.
i know my teachers know about my hearing but since its needing more attention they get mad at me for wanting them to speak up
as far as my hearing aids i guess i will debate if i show them people stare when they see them anyway...its okay though but i wud love to not have to have my hair down all the time....but seriously though i did have a mistake i carry the batteries in my pocket and washed them lol.
So i guess i am a newbie because i used an interpreter for the longest now .
I'm using my aids to try them out to hear better and to learn about the hearing and make new friends. They get annoyed alot because I say what? lol maybe I need to say something nicer.

At your evaluation - just let them know that you don't remember your last one and that you are apprehensive. They will understand. (at least most do.)

At the evaluation, the audiologist puts you in a sound proof booth and evaluates your hearing. The audiologist will ask you to identify a series of tones with a clicker. The audiologist will ask you to identify words by repeating them. Don't be upset if you can't hear particular tones or words. The audiologist needs to determine what you can hear. Then, the audiologist will take you out of the booth and put some plugs in your ears to check the physical condition of your ears. It's not painful or uncomfortable. Your audiologist will understand that you're nervous and anxious about the exam.

When your exam is complete, the audiologist will show you your audiogram and explain it. She will make recommendations based on the audiogram and your needs.

Best of luck! Don't be scared! It'll be ok.

So are there many people my age on here?
I can't wait to go to the Audio seriously because I'm so annoyed at school.

So are there many people my age on here?
I can't wait to go to the Audio seriously because I'm so annoyed at school.

Not a whole lot, but there are a few. they are usually very busy with school and part time jobs. We have a couple (at least 1 I know of) as young as 14, but most are 17 and up. You will be fine here. We try to keep things safe for the teens, but sometimes the regulars let loose, but they just need to release some of their steam from their days as well. It's all in fun and we have a lot of that around here.

Visit some of the other threads and get to know more about us and all. We really are a good bunch of people of all ages and degrees of hearing loss and some who have no hearing loss.

Welcome!
I would avoid Miricle Ear. They are just hearing aid sellers.
Isn't there a School for the Deaf in Riverside? I would go there for audilogical services..they might even have an after school enrichment program for local teens. I know how it is....being hoh and a teen and mainstreamed. I remember how self conscious I was. But I got over it.

Hello and welcome! About the hearing aids and what they look like -- I don't think there's anything more embarassing about hearing aids than glasses, but then again I've worn glasses since 5th grade :)

They make some very nice-looking hearing aids, so you can ask about that. I really didn't want to get boring-looking ones, so I'm glad mine come in colors! You can get different colored covers too.

Thanks deafdyke iti does make me self concious
and yes i know that they have colors seems pretty cool and you cant win either way lol...if you show them they stare and treat you dumb but if you dont then your not proud to be deaf ugh lol....thats life thanks again girl

Thanks for the welcomes i dont feel alone anymore
Yes we do have a deaf school in riverside but I mainstream with an interprpeter.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Miracle Ear is just for mild hearing loss people and not for the Hard of Hearing people that are over mild hearing loss. I used to lived and married in Riverside, California long time ago. Yes, Riverside have a Deaf school. I only lived there for 3 years.

Going to the audiologist for an hearing test is a breeze like going to the dentist without pain. You will be fine with your audiologist. Like Sallylou said, you will get through your hearing test and the audiologist will let you know how much you have your percentages/decibels of hearing loss plus talking with you about getting your hearing aid and batteries. Good luck. :) Have fun browsing around the threads and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

I am turning 21 soon and am deaf as well but didn't lose my hearing until around 16 ... I love my hearing aids though and make them colorful so ppl dont associate hearing loss with older ppl/beige ugly hearing aids...my hearing aids are in my display pic to the left:) Welcome to AD and happy posting...Your friends should accept you no matter what and if they don't they aren't real friends...you should definitely stick to your ASL interpreter though as to stay on top of school and not get far behind, you should also ask for an FM system if you don't have one already. FM system is a mic the teacher wears....it's beneficial so that you can hear more:) If you have any questions just ask!

Back