First Deaf actor ever enter Thesipan Festival!

JoeyDeafNinja

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am finally back! Off the topic for little.

I'm no longer a FSDB student. I am offical Mann student again. I moved back to SC and returned to J L Mann because FSDB doesn't have drama program expect for Blind but I recent learned that they now allow Deaf students to join blind Drama club. But I really miss my drama family at J L Mann so bad and my father was dying that time so I moved back for these reasons. FSDB..ugh so annoyed, they were so slow at send all my resume and records to J L Mann as result, I joined late again.

I was so trilled to be back there and got in two plays, Tales of star, wrote by senior student, and Check Please! These plays were so successful and amazing. I got two roles each plays. Check Please play was also part of Thesipan Festival.

My drama teacher, which is now my mentor, asked me if I would like to go there to completion and I accepted. I had to pick two monologues that have to be at least 3 mins together, not each monologues. That was pretty challage because I often timed myself and it was over 3 mins. My mentor and interpter and I discussed how to finish two monologues in under three mins. Lucky, I have other interpter that studied ASL alot and since my sign is not pretty ASL flunt, so she helped me with it. Finally I improved and made it under 3 mins! In case if you wondering what monologues I performed, one called Cryano De Bergerac by Edmond Rostand. Other one called, You are a good man, Charlie Brown by Clark Genser.

Before the completion, my mentor informed me that I am going to be first Deaf ever enter festival! I was so thrilled! On the completion day, 22 high schools went there. It was so huge and amazing ever! There were like about 14 of us as Mann group, only one of us made..Guess who? ME! Many other high school groups and mine were screamed and shaked their hands in the air!

Judges were impressed with my Acting and told me that I am most powerful actor they ever had! My scores were superior! As result, I am in national completion! I will go to Nebraska this late June with my intertper, coach, mentor and her husand! Yeah guess who is my coach now? Harry Culpepper!

My mentor also has some contacts with agents who will help me with my Acting career so it is pretty big deal since I got in completion. That will help my chances to get in movies, tv shows or theaters.

Thought I should share with yall.

[EDIT] My father has passed away due brain tumors on last Thanksgiving day.

Sorry about your dad, Joey.

I hope you have great luck in Nebraska with your acting. :)

My condolesence to your loss, and at same time, its very good news that your acting is getting recognised, keep it up and all the best. Enjoy acting is the key, and keep on working. Its a big deal yes indeed, amazing even! Very happy for you.

Back