First concert since losing hearing!

glickchick

Reaction score
Prior to losing my hearing, I was always really into music... Especially live music and concerts. So you can imagine that when I became deaf, I was devastated. Earlier this week, I went to my first concert since going deaf... Train, one of my favorite bands. My friends all bought tickets, and I figured why not.

While it definitely wasn't the same experience as it would have been had I been able to hear, I was surprised at what I did experience. Between the lights and the vibrations, it was definitely a very sensory experience, and I was able to feel the beat a bit even if I couldn't hear any of it. Going in, I really thought I was going to be upset at what I was missing out on, and it would just highlight how much different my life is now, but it was actually a pleasant surprise.

So for all of those who are newly deaf and love(d) music, give it a try!

-Lauren

I have been deaf since birth but I have enjoyed going to rock and roll concerts. :)

yes I ve always liked going to the rock and roll concerts. sometimes I get the close up seat, right next to the speaker that gives too strong vibes.

I took my son to his first concert for his birthday last October. We went to the House of Blues to see Three Days Grace. My hearing aids muffled everything, it was so loud. I might have enjoyed the vibrations, BUT while I had been getting ready to go I got very upsetting news, my heart was ripped out of my chest, so my stomach was all queasy. All those vibrations made it worse :( I was fighting throwing up the whole time :/

That's how I continued to "hear" music during the time I was deaf prior to receiving a CI. It made me discover and appreciate bass and percussion sounds more, something that isn't heard well in portable and home stereos. I love live music for its full range of sound to experience.

Yeah, it was definitely different, and still very sensory, even without the sound. I guess it's all part of finding my new normal post-going deaf.

That's how I continued to "hear" music during the time I was deaf prior to receiving a CI. It made me discover and appreciate bass and percussion sounds more, something that isn't heard well in portable and home stereos. I love live music for its full range of sound to experience.

I went to see a show 'Let it be'vibration and bass was palperable(think that the word) as people complaining the bass was hurting their ears..The colour and atmosphere amazing,I could not hear the Beatles when i saw them for real back in the 60's as they say a musical note defines a moment in time

Funny, maybe I am odd but I don't do music at all. What I hear sounds like annoying noise so I just skip it. Too bad because lot of my friends love it. Maybe if there was lots of bass (to dance to!) I might enjoy?

I go to concerts far less, but I do go. You should try Soundtribe Sector 9.... I liked them before my loss and still appreciate them now. They have awesome syncopation :) they will also get interpreters for concerts sometimes if you ask!

Remember the concerts...and my friend and I fought our way thru the crowds, and he helped sit me up right beside those big ol' speakers!...WOW!...blew me away...but I enjoyed it as much as the hearies did...

That's really beautiful. Do you feel an emotional connection with the vibrations? Does music move you when you're right next to the speaker and can feel it all?

Back