First Americans May Have Been European

Reiko

Reaction score
ST. LOUIS—The first humans to spread across North America may have been seal hunters from France and Spain.

This runs counter to the long-held belief that the first human entry into the Americas was a crossing of a land-ice bridge that spanned the Bering Strait about 13,500 years ago.

The new thinking was outlined here Sunday at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

The tools don’t match

Recent studies have suggested that the glaciers that helped form the bridge connecting Siberia and Alaska began receding around 17,000 to 13,000 years ago, leaving very little chance that people walked from one continent to the other.

Also, when archaeologist Dennis Stanford of the Smithsonian Institution places American spearheads, called Clovis points, side-by-side with Siberian points, he sees a divergence of many characteristics.

Instead, Stanford said today, Clovis points match up much closer with Solutrean style tools, which researchers date to about 19,000 years ago. This suggests that the American people making Clovis points made Solutrean points before that.

There’s just one problem with this hypothesis—Solutrean toolmakers lived in France and Spain. Scientists know of no land-ice bridge that spanned that entire gap.

The lost hunting party

Stanford has an idea for how humans crossed the Atlantic, though—boats. Art from that era indicates that Solutrean populations in northern Spain were hunting marine animals, such as seals, walrus, and tuna.

They may have even made their way into the floating ice chunks that unite immense harp seal populations in Canada and Europe each year. Four million seals, Stanford said, would look like a pretty good meal to hungry European hunters, who might have ventured into the ice flows much the same way that the Inuit in Alaska and Greenland do today.

Inuit use large, open hunting boats constructed from animal skins for longer trips or big hunts. These boats, called umiaq, can hold a dozen adults, as well as several children, dead seals or walruses, and even dog-sled teams. Inuit have been building these boats for thousands of years, and Stanford believes that Solutrean people may have used a similar design.

It’s possible that some groups of these hunters ventured out as far as Iceland, where they may have gotten caught up in the prevailing currents and were carried to North America.

“You get three boats loaded up like this and you would have a viable population,” Stanford said. “You could actually get a whole bunch of people washing up on Nova Scotia.”

Some scientists believe that the Solutrean peoples were responsible for much of the cave art in Europe. Opponents of Stanford’s work ask why, then, would these people stop producing art once they made it to North America?

“I don’t know,” Stanford said. “But you’re looking at a long distance inland, 100 miles or so, before they would get to caves to do art in.”

Source

Hmm...does that mean these Solutreans would have been the ONLY population from whom the Native Americans are descended--or could others still have come across later from other areas?

Rose Immortal said:
Hmm...does that mean these Solutreans would have been the ONLY population from whom the Native Americans are descended

I doubt it.

I heard about this not too long ago. Tantalizing and very interesting stuff. There is so much about ancient history we do not know and the prevailing theories miss alot. They still don't know where the Phoenicians got some of their trading supplies like tin which was very valuable in those days. It was thought they got it from Britain (where at the time was the best place for it from a European perspective). However, if they were able to cross the Atlantic, they could have gotten it from the new world...there is some evidence to indicate that possibility. On another note, it appears the Vikings went over quite a bit of North America going as far west as the Mississippi river in the Great Plains area. Obviously, they were after the Native Americans but we do have evidence (DNA) that some merged with the Northern Indian tribes over time.

Anyway to answer RI question, no the solutreans were not the only ancestors of Native Americans. It is still a very credible theory about the influx of either a crossing from the Bering Straits or a boat trip across the Pacific (probably following the rim). DNA gives us proof of that. Scientists have been mapping DNA genetic markers all over the world to get a better sense of how populations are dispersed. It is a fascinating study.

The bigger argument is who was in the Americas first and that is where the fireworks start. Part of the problem is that there is a vested interest for this theory or that and any upheaval causes everybody heartburn. It is best to have an open mind and let the evidence lead the way no matter how uncomfortable it may point.

Well, I got trace of Indian in my blood... Tell you this... American Indian is truly the first one that lived in America! These European people thought they have the right to barge in and kick American Indian outta of their way! What a FUNKIN shame!

There's just two problems with this hypothesis. The first is that, genetically, the Native American race is a fork of the Asian race. The second is a bit more practical--I doubt boats big enough to cross the Atlantic with sufficient supplies of food existed 19,000 years ago.

Teresh said:
There's just two problems with this hypothesis. The first is that, genetically, the Native American race is a fork of the Asian race. The second is a bit more practical--I doubt boats big enough to cross the Atlantic with sufficient supplies of food existed 19,000 years ago.

How soon we forget! How did the Polynesians get across the Pacific? It was proven a couple of decades ago that it was possible in smaller boats and of ancient designs. Take Heyerdahl's two boats Kon-Tiki (Pacific) and RA II (Atlantic). If they could do it in such boats, the ancients could have done it as well. The point I make is that it doesn't need to be big boat to make it and one can survive off the ocean.

sr171soars said:
Anyway to answer RI question, no the solutreans were not the only ancestors of Native Americans. It is still a very credible theory about the influx of either a crossing from the Bering Straits or a boat trip across the Pacific (probably following the rim). DNA gives us proof of that. Scientists have been mapping DNA genetic markers all over the world to get a better sense of how populations are dispersed. It is a fascinating study.

The bigger argument is who was in the Americas first and that is where the fireworks start. Part of the problem is that there is a vested interest for this theory or that and any upheaval causes everybody heartburn. It is best to have an open mind and let the evidence lead the way no matter how uncomfortable it may point.

Thanks for the answer. :)

Personally I think this is fascinating wherever it goes...I guess I don't have any real vested interest one way or the other.

What I do think this may be proving is that we're all a little more closely related than we think!

diehardbiker65 said:
Well, I got trace of Indian in my blood... Tell you this... American Indian is truly the first one that lived in America! These European people thought they have the right to barge in and kick American Indian outta of their way! What a FUNKIN shame!

Pardon me for being European !!! :whistle:

I may be part british, but I think I'm more of irish and scottish and I dont think the irish and scottish has came to america to kick the native americans out of land though I think it was mostly the british who did that kind of dirty stuff to them.

pek1 said:
Are you European?

In fact yes am the British born .... but it was not me that kicked the american out of their's country .... Since it was happened long long long time ago before i was born .. i weren't to know !! ;)

Steel X said:
I may be part british, but I think I'm more of irish and scottish and I dont think the irish and scottish has came to america to kick the native americans out of land though I think it was mostly the british who did that kind of dirty stuff to them.

Well also am the part of Irish too.

I don't ever think that Indian come from Asia or Europe but exist in America as nobody knew it until the brave sailer come?

I mean.. how can we prove there is footstep on ice as it already melt? lololololol

sr171soars said:
How soon we forget! How did the Polynesians get across the Pacific? It was proven a couple of decades ago that it was possible in smaller boats and of ancient designs. Take Heyerdahl's two boats Kon-Tiki (Pacific) and RA II (Atlantic). If they could do it in such boats, the ancients could have done it as well. The point I make is that it doesn't need to be big boat to make it and one can survive off the ocean.

It's not the size of the boat that matters the most (well, in a storm size matters, but in clear weather normally not) But you do need enough food and fresh water to survive for a month or so.

for second thought, it would be Viking, I remeber my child-hood story. They would be in north america before indian. eh eh?

I mean who really cares about being the first before or whoever does. Sure it is interesting and always so debateable.

What the first thread topic really meant is that they say it may be the ancient europeans were the first people in the new world BEFORE these native americans, indians. Maybe?!

Who really knows except God. Maybe near future once the DNA mapping gets very powerful then they could trace the past DNAs and see if they can find out who were the very first. Or we may never know but who cares. I just can say native americans are the first for the present being. Any agrument?

I mean who really cares about being the first before or whoever does. Sure it is interesting and always so debateable.

What the first thread topic really meant is that they say it may be the ancient europeans were the first people in the new world BEFORE these native americans, indians. Maybe?!

Who really knows except God. Maybe near future once the DNA mapping gets very powerful then they could trace the past DNAs and see if they can find out who were the very first. Or we may never know but who cares. I just can say native americans are the first for the present being. Any agrument?
That's what the article is implying. That there may have been ancient europeans before the native americans showed up from siberia.
It's interesting for those who are intersted in archaeology.

I guess one could have said back in the middle ages who cares if the world is round or flat?

If there is evidence that things happened differently than what is accepted by today's scientific community then it should be looked into. That's how you make progess in scientific knowledge.

Back