Fire Alarms in Buildings.

Gulgothir

Reaction score
I've been trying to research on whether flashing fire alarms are required in the building where deaf people work or live. Does anyone know anything about this?

In my own situation, I've been waiting for about 2 weeks now to get fire alarms that connects to the building (I live in an 18 floor building.) and I'm getting concerned as the only alarms I have are those typical flashing fire alarms you plug in, but doesn't connect electrically to the fire alarm system of the building. So I'm basically screwed if a fire starts anywhere else in the building aside from my own room.

And I was curious about laws pertaining to flashing fire alarms in the office space.

Any help, links or experience shared would be appreciated! :wave:

Strobed smoke detectors are required in places like apartments and dorm buildings. However, in houses... they are not required. That's what I heard from someone here at RIT.

The strobe fire alarms that you plug in to the power outlet, they are for YOUR apartment only for your own safety. The wired strobe fire alarms that connect to where the speaker goes off for fire alarm usually is, that connects to the whole apartment complex in case of fire in a neighboring unit. I have them set in my apartment that way.

Last week, the fire alarm went off. We woke up and dressed up and ran out to gather outside and fire truck came. There actually was a small fire in someone's apartment, that was caused by the grease, uh oh!

Yea, ADA requirement, the landlord can be in trouble for failure to provide you one! Just contact your local housing council or contact HUD how to process that. I am not sure about your area cause it DOES varies from city to city and town to town.

VamPyroX said:
Strobed smoke detectors are required in places like apartments and dorm buildings. However, in houses... they are not required. That's what I heard from someone here at RIT.

When I was still supervising at UPS, we provided deaf employees with a pager that would vibrate in case of emergency, and also a hearing volunteer would find them if them alarm were to go off, and ensure that they've made it out of the building.

VamPyroX said:
However, in houses... they are not required. That's what I heard from someone here at RIT.

Yes they are under Title III if the fire alarm notification is offered to everyone in the building, they have to be made accessible to those who cant hear the alarm.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Yes they are under Title III if the fire alarm notification is offered to everyone in the building, they have to be made accessible to those who cant hear the alarm.

Richard

I'd contact the fire department and ask them to come out for a visit.

simple fix

get an alert master 6000. it has a doorbell,alarm clock ,motion sencer. fire alarm. phone flasher....and a loud noise alarm. which would let you know something very laud is going on ..fire alarm,police sirense...ect.
it has a bed shaker and can flash the lights.it has remote units so you buy one main console and then put the remote flash controls where ever you want.
i personally swear by it. i run xmas tree lights around the edge of the ceiling through the whole house,bathroom and all.

It is a good idea to get strobed smoke alarms, and I have them for my house which is free from a rehab. I still have a problem with my Alert Master 6000 because the clock (light) does off every few minutes after I set it alarm on for no reason. Rest of other sets in that master seems fine. I would recommend you to buy a different brand. It's up to you.

webexplorer

On second thought...go to the humane society and get a dog to be your hearing dog, that's where I got mine and she does good work! :thumb: :gpost:

webexplorer said:
It is a good idea to get strobed smoke alarms, and I have them for my house which is free from a rehab. I still have a problem with my Alert Master 6000 because the clock (light) does off every few minutes after I set it alarm on for no reason. Rest of other sets in that master seems fine. I would recommend you to buy a different brand. It's up to you.

webexplorer

you must have a glitch. i have 3 of them. home,work,and travel..and they never do that.

Back