Fingerspelling

aweet_princess198925

Reaction score
When fingerspelling is there a correct speed or does it have to be fast. I'm still learning and I'm not sure if it's ok to ask someone to slow down when spelling something out.

Sent from my LGLS990 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I know how to fingerspell I'm asking is it ok to ask someone to slow down cause I've seen people spell so fast it's hard to make out what they say.

It ok with me and every other deaf person I know sign slowly good manners if you not fast but you be surprised more you do it faster you become,remember most deaf on here signed all their lives and second nature fast spelling

That's what I was thinking it's like a hearing person doesn't speak slowly. I'm practicing more and more but I have no one with me to practice with so my receptive skills are off.

Yes you can ask them to charify the spelling. I tend to ask them to say again when I first meet them. Once I know them very well and understand their finger spelling so fast.

According to my ASL teacher says it's ok to ask for someone to go slower and repeat. She does want us to practice so it isn't like 20 times, but a few is ok. I've also noticed in our class that everyone makes their letters just a smidge differently, so it can take a couple of times to see the letters.

I've also noticed with my teacher that she finger spells at different speeds to different students. I'm guessing she gets the speeds from watching us during our warm ups.

I normally fingerspell at a slower pace for ASL students, depending on their skill.

ASL students are usually encouraged to ask to repeat a spelling, and if necessary, for it to be a bit slower. Once you've picked up on a certain speed, you can go faster and faster. :)

Back